do you drop heavy objects or gently set them down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to work with a guy who wasn't exactly big on keeping the noise level down. He would pickup and throw angle iron, channel steel, anything that had some weight to it. My guess is it's faster and easier on your back, so one time I was at home depot getting some lumber and you know how home depot is, you have to find everything yourself. So I was getting some lumber and moving it around on the stack and I was throwing the bad warped pieces to the back of the pile, after a couple minutes I overheard on of the cashiers tell one of the guys that walked over to her, "hey go help that guy" LOL! I've noticed this a few times now and it's like people think you're crazy. Either that or they think you're mad or something. Nope, I just find it quicker and easier than bending down a bunch of times.

If you came into the store and found the wood stacks all helter skelter, would (wood?) that please you? I also select my wood for straightness, tight knots, lack of PT stains, but I try to keep the stacks looking safe and not a jumbled mess.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
If you came into the store and found the wood stacks all helter skelter, would (wood?) that please you? I also select my wood for straightness, tight knots, lack of PT stains, but I try to keep the stacks looking safe and not a jumbled mess.

You can throw them so the still land parallel with the rest of the stack.

I drop heavy barbells during my workout if the floor has padding
lol.gif

Is it my stuff or someone else's?

I usually don't drop things, I don't like noise. Plus I do try to treat things well, whether or not I own them.

If one drops/throws things there is a chance the item could get damaged or it could land on you or bounce onto something unintended.

No greater control then setting it down. If it is too heavy to set down, one should not lift it in the first place.

Originally Posted By: PSS

No greater control then setting it down. If it is too heavy to set down, one should not lift it in the first place.

+1

I notice this a lot at the gym.

I've thrown a few things like my phone and a wrench in frustration. Broke my phone and out a dent in the wall with the wrench. It was foolish. I try and take care of my things now and not screw em up by dropping. The guys at work just drop pipe down and it hurts the ears. I lay it down.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

+1

It sorta depends at the gym though. Sometimes if you feel strong, you just set them down. Otherwise if you're exhausted, you just drop them. Like bench pressing dumbbells, if you're too tired, trying to control them by putting them down can cause injury. Plus you're supposed to go to fatigue anyway so the too heavy to set down doesn't make any sense. Typically I end up doing multiple sets so maybe by the 3rd or 4th set, you're too tired to set them down, but maybe in the first couple. If you're not too tired, it's time for more weight.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

+1

It sorta depends at the gym though. Sometimes if you feel strong, you just set them down. Otherwise if you're exhausted, you just drop them. Like bench pressing dumbbells, if you're too tired, trying to control them by putting them down can cause injury. Plus you're supposed to go to fatigue anyway so the too heavy to set down doesn't make any sense. Typically I end up doing multiple sets so maybe by the 3rd or 4th set, you're too tired to set them down, but maybe in the first couple. If you're not too tired, it's time for more weight.

Or a spotter...

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Or a spotter...

Not that kind of a gym, it's a fitness class so it's usually a bunch of people in a row, most people seem to drop them with a few that put them down. It's padded anyway. I think a while ago someone dropped them near a sliding glass window and cracked it, but that only happened once in the several years I've been there. Usually doing a series like curls, overhead press, lunges etc so after 3 or 4 sets of those, you get tired.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
... I was throwing the bad warped pieces to the back of the pile, after a couple minutes I overheard on of the cashiers tell one of the guys that walked over to her, "hey go help that guy" LOL! I've noticed this a few times now and it's like people think you're crazy. Either that or they think you're mad or something. Nope, I just find it quicker and easier than bending down a bunch of times.

They didn't think you were mad, or needed help picking lumber, but they did think you were being a tool. They were trying to assist you in keeping down the noise and the mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back