Has your bank been hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine did.
shocked2.gif

Sometime before Wednesday opening at 8AM. I do 99% of my banking on line. Web site was down all day Wed. and Thur. Friday we drive over to local branch and ask WTH? Nice lady says it's up now, don't know nuthin, didn't get a memo. All with a straight face....
confused2.gif
I chat her up a little, explain that I was tech support for local company in what is now called IT. Back in the day we called it computer services and comprised of 5 main frames of various sizes. Told her her bank had been hacked, take my word for it. Anyway, take boss, (wife), to lunch, go shopping, go home and take a nap. This AM link to bank, yup, have home screen, uhoh.. blank screen followed by msg:
Quote:
Connection closed by remote server

You tried to access the address https://onlineaccess.xxxxxx.org/O/login.aspx, which is currently unavailable.

Rats!! Now I'm stuck without my data until Mon. and its the end of the month and bill paying time.

Fortunately I have prepared for this. I have several checks deposited each month. I also have an option selected to get a text msg to my cell for each transaction over $100. 2 or 3 times a month, I copy these data to an old fashion leather bound paper checkbook before deleting the texts. Call me old fashioned, belt & suspenders for me.
thumbsup2.gif

When I finish venting here, I'll call the tech support line in Raleigh, hopefully someone will answer the phone. I always did.

grin2.gif

Don't click or goto xxx websites they usually have a bunch of virus and/or malware.

Mine did, I had $1500 pulled in one night in Louisiana. I explained that I have never been to Louisiana, and they explained that there was reports totaling $60,000 taken this way just that morning.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
You didnt say what bank.
Not sure of the purpose of the post without the name.

I was venting. It was a useless post. Something I seldom do.

It is the North Carolina State Employees Credit Union. Good people, we've been with them for about 15 years. Always been treated well. I'm surprised they got hit.

Most large banks and other financial institutions use IBM mainframes to process the actual banking transactions and store the data. The GUI often runs on a Unix or other distributed box. So it's likely once they recover, nothing will have been lost.

They also likely do real-time mirroring to another site at least 100 miles away.

Hacks of the actual mainframe are extremely rare, and more likely the mainframe would be hacked by someone inside. My job in mainframe security is to make sure the bad guys do not get through.

Every place is being hacked . Some places have full time staffs working on the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back