Overlanders here checking in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

My wife and I have been lurking on the forum for some time and we finally joined! We are in the process of planning a wildly ambitious trip to some of the most extreme and remote locations in the continental USA.

To get us there, we are currently overhauling and customizing a 2000 Toyota 4Runner.

When it comes to motor oil, this site was a fantastic resource! I think I read over 200 posts on different options and lots and lots of opinions. It was very helpful for us as we continue to build out our rig.

I'm looking forward to continue to learn and contribute here!

33wy69s.jpg

2edw7ia.jpg

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Tell us more about the trip!!

We are going to Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming.

In Colorado we are driving the infamous Black Bear Pass as well as Imogene pass. In Utah, we are going to one of the most remote locations in the continental US. We are hoping to find robbers roost, the remains of Butch Cassidy and the Sun Dance Kid's actual hideout/cabin. We also plan to hit a few other trails in the Moab area before making our way to the Grand Teton area in Wyoming. We are going to be off paved roads as much as possible.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Tell us more about the truck!

what he said..

Itchy Foot is it's name!

2000 4Runner SR5. 165,000 miles on her as of now. We bought her for $4500 about a year ago. Since then, we have spent close to $7000 in making her like new.

Brand new, Toyota OEM:

Ball Joints
Steering Rack + all tierods
Radiator
Timing Belt Kit (Belts, Waterpump, thermostate, cam seals, ect..)
Big brake upgrade (Tundra rotors, pads, and calipers)
All fluids have been changed
All filters have been changed (air,fuel,ect..)
All hoses have been changed
All sensors have been cleaned/replaced if needed

Aftermarket
3 inch lift - Bilstein shocks and struts - Old Man Emu springs
255/65R16 BFGoodrich mud terrains
Hella driving lights
Cat-back exhaust

Still to do:
Communications - install radio

Feel free to follow along as we continue to plan for the trip! We're on Facebook @letsgooverland

**I forgot the most important info!!
The drivetrain has been meticulously cared for its whole life. The engine consumes zero oil over a 5000 mile change interval.

We have opted to use Redline 5w30 at a 5000 mile interval.

Last edited:
That sounds like a fun trip you're planning! How long do you figure it take you?

Nice truck too! Is that still the original transmission and transfer case in there with 165K miles on them?

Originally Posted By: fcjeep
That sounds like a fun trip you're planning! How long do you figure it take you?

Nice truck too! Is that still the original transmission and transfer case in there with 165K miles on them?

We are planning to do everything in 14 days.

Yes, everything is original.

As stated, the truck was meticulously maintained.

The frame is even rust free! The previous owner (original owner) coated it every fall.

After this trip, we are planning a trip to Newfoundland and Labrador next year and then ton Alaska and the Yukon Territory after that.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
That's a gorgeous house!!

Yea! The wish it was ours! Lol

It's the Ryers Estate. They where a wealthy family in Philadelphia in the 19th century. It's now a museum. We where exploring our neighborhood in the snow!

Welcome, from one 3rd gen 4Runner owner to another. My '97 SR5 V6, 5-speed, diff-locker equipped, factory leather, moonroof, premium sound and larger wheels and tires 4Runner, is the oldest vehicle I own. Almost 20 years after buying it new off the lot, I still have no desire to sell it. These days it's my Winter driver, and off-road exploration vehicle.

You've already covered the maintenance items I would've suggested.

I think you're in for quite an adventure, as I've been to the places listed in your itinerary in my 4Runner. Be aware that the trails in the Colorado San Juan's can be closed due to snow, into late summer.

Black Bear Pass: I'll just say that when the trail starts steeply downhill, and 1st gear low-range feels waaaaay too fast, the pucker factor really goes up! Then you get to the switchbacks...

Here's a local business, that has the latest info on individual trail status: San Juan Trail Conditions

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Welcome, from one 3rd gen 4Runner owner to another. My '97 SR5 V6, 5-speed, diff-locker equipped, factory leather, moonroof, premium sound and larger wheels and tires 4Runner, is the oldest vehicle I own. Almost 20 years after buying it new off the lot, I still have no desire to sell it. These days it's my Winter driver, and off-road exploration vehicle.

You've already covered the maintenance items I would've suggested.

I think you're in for quite an adventure, as I've been to the places listed in your itinerary in my 4Runner. Be aware that the trails in the Colorado San Juan's can be closed due to snow, into late summer.

Black Bear Pass: I'll just say that when the trail starts steeply downhill, and 1st gear low-range feels waaaaay too fast, the pucker factor really goes up! Then you get to the switchbacks...

Here's a local business, that has the latest info on individual trail status: San Juan Trail Conditions

Outstanding! Thanks for the site. We have been following the local Facebook pages to get reports. Seems like they where rocked with snow this year. We might have to do the trip in reverse to allow an extra week or two for it to thaw. We're heading out in mid July.

So very jealous of your trip! My wife and I road tripped out west last summer for our vacation and I REALLY want to go back!

As for the trip and obstacles you have planned- I'll say it sounds like you and your wife are quite the pair! It's good to hear that you're both like minded enough to undertake such a trip. It will take a good strong relationship to make it through without any snarking, snipping or injury- to yourselves or the Yota. GOOD LUCK! And please post pics when you get back!!!

The 5VZ-FE is a way better engine than the 3VZ-E in my 1990 4Runner. The big brakes are a great upgrade. When I lived in Colorado, the old 4Runner used to struggle up hills and coming down could be a challenge with the factory brakes. I had a Downey lift kit, with Doetsch Tech shocks and it was a great set up. Similar to yours.

The other weak link in my truck was the A340 transmission. I think you've got the same one. It doesn't get enough cooling from the cooler loop in the radiator, especially when the converter is unlocked and you're on the gas hard, as you will be when climbing mountain passes or rock crawling.

I strongly encourage you to add a decent size plate type transmission oil cooler. One like this: http://www.bmracing.com/products/70264-oil-cooler-large-supercooler-14400-btu-rating-black/

Here's my old truck. Picture on the Outer Banks from last summer. A 4Runner is an outstanding choice for exploring the back country. If you could add fuel capacity, that would help...

Last edited:
The 5VZ-FE is a way better engine than the 3VZ-E in my 1990 4Runner. The big brakes are a great upgrade. When I lived in Colorado, the old 4Runner used to struggle up hills and coming down could be a challenge with the factory brakes. I had a Downey lift kit, with Doetsch Tech shocks and it was a great set up. Similar to yours.

The other weak link in my truck was the A340 transmission. I think you've got the same one. It doesn't get enough cooling from the cooler loop in the radiator, especially when the converter is unlocked and you're on the gas hard, as you will be when climbing mountain passes or rock crawling.

I strongly encourage you to add a decent size plate type transmission oil cooler. One like this: http://www.bmracing.com/products/70264-oil-cooler-large-supercooler-14400-btu-rating-black/

Here's my old truck. Picture on the Outer Banks from last summer. A 4Runner is an outstanding choice for exploring the back country. If you could add fuel capacity, that would help...

Nice Rig!!!

Yes, the trans gets hot going up passes! We plan to drain and fill with synthetic trans fluid before he trip, then 5000 miles after the trip to minimize any potential for damage.

Also, on the off-road portions, we will be using 4-Lo which really saves your trans from working to hard. Yea, driving up mountain passes on paved road, the temps spike 230+! But off-roading in 4lo on steep inclines I have only been able to peak 160 trans temps!

So we are going to be really concentrated on protecting the trans and monitoring temps as we go as I agree; out of everything on this truck, the Trans has the most potential for excessive wear/torture.

As for fuel, we have two 5 gallon jerry cans that we are going to mount flat of the roof rack. Trying to keep weight up there as minimal as possible, only light weight items are going up there besides the fuel like camp chairs, tarps, etc.

On the major undertakings we are really taking our time with planning is weight distribution. We are taking into account where the fuel tank is, car battery, and passenger weight and trying to counter that stationary weight with our packing. The goal is to have the heaviest stuff as low as possible and as close to the middle of the rig as possible. Anything on the roof or beyond the line of the rear axle is going to have to be light weight.

Trying to balance that line of thinking, while keeping in mind we are going to live out of this thing for two weeks and common use items need to be accessible is where the "fun" starts. Lol. It's a puzzle for sure!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
So very jealous of your trip! My wife and I road tripped out west last summer for our vacation and I REALLY want to go back!

As for the trip and obstacles you have planned- I'll say it sounds like you and your wife are quite the pair! It's good to hear that you're both like minded enough to undertake such a trip. It will take a good strong relationship to make it through without any snarking, snipping or injury- to yourselves or the Yota. GOOD LUCK! And please post pics when you get back!!!

Thanks!

Will definitely post pics!

If you want to follow along live, as we continue to prep and to be able to see pics/vids as we are out there; you can check us out on Facebook @Letsgooverland

I did add a temperature gauge to keep an eye on things.

For some reason, it got rotated during the upload, but you get the idea. Actually, the gauge pod was for a 3rd gen, like yours, but fit close enough on the A pillar of my 2nd gen.

I did add a temperature gauge to keep an eye on things.

For some reason, it got rotated during the upload, but you get the idea. Actually, the gauge pod was for a 3rd gen, like yours, but fit close enough on the A pillar of my 2nd gen.

Very nice!

We opted to go with a scan gauge as it was to easy to set up! We currently have it set to show Trans Temp, Water Temp, MPG, and Volts.
90t4iw.jpg

The temps are actually very accurate and the ability to track fuel usage and diagnose CEL's on the fly is icing on the cake. *No CEL's as of yet* Knock on wood!

Very clean set-up. Great to be able to get those values from the ECU...my old truck pre-dated OBD-II, so if you wanted information from the ECU, you had to jumper two terminals at the diagnostic connector under the hood, count the number of blinks from the check engine or transmission light (like Morse code) then consult the FSM... It came with the factory gauges for oil pressure, coolant temp, voltage, and fuel level. The next most important was that transmission temp. The factory had provided a "Trans Hot" light in the cluster, but that warning was too late...it came on at 265F (I think) and wouldn't go out until the trans had cooled below a pre-set, and much lower, value.

Far better to be able to keep an eye on things, as you've elected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back