A new intersection design ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new intersection design eliminates the dreaded left turn into traffic ?

We don't have anything like this intersection in any town in So Cal, probably because it requires too much land, it isn't possible to implement this design in city.

For the highways interchange we have several levels to go from 1 highway to another in both directions.

I think the "new intersection" is too complex and requires a very large area with little benefit.

4c03067cdd7dd590d8d438be6bfa2931.cf.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/diverging-diamond-intersection-is-33-safer-2016-6

Last edited:
There is one of these in Cheyenne, WY. The first time I drove on it after they completed construction, it was very different, but the flow of traffic is so much better.

Looks interesting and I can kind of see how traffic would flow better. But all those diagonal crosses of traffic could also be dangerous if people run lights...

They put in one of those in a town just west of Des Moines and it opened last year. I've been through it a couple times, and quite frankly it's very simple if you just pay attention.

The flyover road would have to endure two traffic lights with this design and zero with a cloverleaf.

Good if the point of the flyover is to service the interstate, lame if it's a local road to those not politically connected.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Looks interesting and I can kind of see how traffic would flow better. But all those diagonal crosses of traffic could also be dangerous if people run lights...

Agreed....looks like there are numerous traffic lights. Myself I prefer the roundabout.

They built an intersection like this in Auburn Hills last year. It's brilliant. Everyone thinks so, too. I've yet to talk to anyone whose driven through it and doesn't like it. Like the photo you posted, ours combines an interstate bridge into the intersection as well.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The flyover road would have to endure two traffic lights with this design and zero with a cloverleaf.

Good if the point of the flyover is to service the interstate, lame if it's a local road to those not politically connected.

At least in Michigan, cloverleaf ramps are no longer being used in new construction. I can't remember the exact reason, but I believe it had to do with safety. This was like 6 years ago when I was a co-op with MDOT, so things may have changed. Cloverleaf ramps sure are fun though.
19.gif

Not new - at least around here. Several of them have been built and as pointed out, once you get past it being new, they work very, very well. Similar to roundabouts, people freak out about something new or different, but then once it starts operating figure it out and generally like them.

The left hand turn across traffic is a huge generator of conflict points in an intersection - and this arrangement effectively fixes the issue.

The same issues inherent to any signalized intersection remain (folks can run a red at any intersection - not just these). But the left hand turn conflict being removed is a huge improvement.

An example I use frequently can be looked at here:

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/funding/projects/bloomington.html

It fit pretty much within the previous diamond interchange footprint - no additional land needed.

And to blow your mind, a light rail line runs right through the middle of this one...

Cloverleafs aren't dead for new interchanges here - but in many, many cases, there is a better solution.

Looks like it may be initially difficult to navigate while snap chatting. Who wants to deal with a new traffic pattern while trying to get that perfect fishy face selfie?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Looks like it may be initially difficult to navigate while snap chatting. Who wants to deal with a new traffic pattern while trying to get that perfect fishy face selfie?

Exactly!

Looks like alot of Russian dashcam style crash videos would originate from such an intersection.

Could be interesting. As long as they manage to keep the lines painted it shouldn't be too bad to follow. However I bet the traffic lights have to be smart, otherwise traffic will back up and block lanes.

Looks like this new design is for highway interchange with local streets than local street with local street.

Normal intersection of local street with local street doesn't use a lot of land, this type of intersection use a lot more land.

Correct - by its nature, a diverging diamond is an interchange - not an intersection. One road is grade separated from the other and gets all free through movements, while the other road does not.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

you could use 2 roundabouts, and evereyone stays on the right.

Coming from the top left you'd take the first exit on the roundabout if you wanted to go west, or contimue if you want to go east

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back