how would you fix this leaking T joint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This pipe feeds water into my house. The PVC T-joint is leaking exactly where the black dot is (but on the underside). Cutting it out is a last resort because there's an L-fitting to the right which leaves no spare pipe. So I'd have to dig even more and replace both fittings. Plus this is a T joint which is very hard to replace.

There has to be a better way to fix this?

I would cut out the T and the L and replace. Do it once, do it right that sort of thing. It's only a couple dollars worth of parts.

The Tee probably cracked because the pipes are tweaked into position putting a lot of strain on it. Further cracking is likely if you try to patch it.

Last edited:
If you are daunted by the task just keep digging and have the plumber finish it off. You saved $$$ already for labor.

I cant see how digging the L out and redoing the whole thing where there is more pipe is a big deal. If its close enough that there is no extra pipe if you cut out, then the additional digging would be minimal...

Just clean it up really well, scuff the area with emery cloth and apply plumber's quick setting epoxy putty.

Plumber's Epoxy Putty

Data Sheet

It will set up in 15 minutes and last a lifetime. I have used it to reseal PVC piping that cracked from freezing, so that hole will be a piece of cake!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I cant see how digging the L out and redoing the whole thing where there is more pipe is a big deal. If its close enough that there is no extra pipe if you cut out, then the additional digging would be minimal...

The issue is that it's a T joint so 2 of the 3 pipes have to be flexed in order to insert the new joint. The run on the left is only 18 inches. The run on the right is probably very short, I'm guessing <12 inches straight into the ground. The run on the bottom might be 4-5 feet but it's buried so it probably won't flex much. That doesn't seem to allow for enough flex to get the new joint in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back