TV logos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else get annoyed that when the station comes on the logo is EVERYWHERE. In the corner. When radar comes on the logo is there as well.
Then the split screen shots have the same logos. the screen is so cluttered.
Maybe it is just me.
mad.gif

YES! It's been that way for years, though. Maybe someone can enlighten me, but I think it has to do with all the channels many of us have available. Someone wants you to know exactly what network you are watching, in case you might forget.

Notice that all that clutter is gone during the commercials. They don't want to distract from the media that pays the bills.

It's called "the bug".

They do it because the over-the-air channel number isn't always the same as the cable channel number, and they want ratings to wind up in the correct spot. This is also why you see a "lower third" graphic with the show's name when they return from break.

There's some neat tech out there: FOX network has a gizmo that inserts a local bug for 10-20 seconds after a break, which then animates out in time for the official network bug. MeTV puts a MeTV bug over all their stuff, which you can see on their satellite feed if you have the gear to get it. The local affiliate then sticks a similar one underneath it, and you can watch it behave slightly differently.

I worked in TV for 17 years; when I started the bug was run by a 49 cent toggle switch and we were always forgetting to pull it out before commercial breaks. A stingy advertiser could get credited for his spot if he caught us.
31.gif

Yup, as TV's got bigger, they take up more screen real estate with logos, banners and whatnot. I hate watching news, over 1/3 of the screen is taken up with stuff other than the actual show your watching.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's called "the bug".

They do it because the over-the-air channel number isn't always the same as the cable channel number, and they want ratings to wind up in the correct spot. This is also why you see a "lower third" graphic with the show's name when they return from break.

There's some neat tech out there: FOX network has a gizmo that inserts a local bug for 10-20 seconds after a break, which then animates out in time for the official network bug. MeTV puts a MeTV bug over all their stuff, which you can see on their satellite feed if you have the gear to get it. The local affiliate then sticks a similar one underneath it, and you can watch it behave slightly differently.

I worked in TV for 17 years; when I started the bug was run by a 49 cent toggle switch and we were always forgetting to pull it out before commercial breaks. A stingy advertiser could get credited for his spot if he caught us.
31.gif

So that is what it is called. Now having it on for a second is fine. But the whole time?
I swear a third of the screen can be cluttered at times during a news cast

This has always bugged me. What I hate most is when it covers up text/subtitles or something that is important to see in the show. Some stations fade it out some during the show which is nice.

Its just another way to advertise upcoming shows so they don't have to wast commercial time on their own programming.

Basketball is getting hard to watch on some channels. One (ESPN I think) keeps a 3 line banner on the bottom for most of the game that blocks at least a quarter of the screen's real-estate.

Logos are one thing... I can deal with those if they're not too big. The ones I hate are the moving advertisements for upcoming shows that have characters actually walking on at the bottom of the screen in the middle of a show. They have some cutesy interaction and walk off again. It's completely distracting. I always thought there was some regulation to this type of stuff, but I guess there isn't.

Funny anecdote, some deal with "Jurassic Park" (the original) means it must air without any bug.

At the TV station I had to run a lower third graphic for lottery results every night at 7:30. I keyed it in on time, over an episode of "Star Trek Voyager", and at 7:30:10 they started talking Klingon with subtitles.

I kept on keeping on, dutifully following all the paperwork. The show's producers were counting on the whole screen. Management fielded some phone calls.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back