What’s Different about Tractor Hydraulic Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ads I see usually say something about being compatible with wet brakes. Is a friction modifier(s) the main difference between tractor hydraulic fluid and regular hydraulic fluid? Same question applies to ATF and tractor hydraulic fluid, ATF works with wet clutches so it seems like it should work with wet brakes? Based on LE’s reccomendation I’m using LE7500 hydraulic fluid in my Massey Ferguson hydrostatic drive/hydraulic system and I also use LE7500 in the E4OD transmission in my Ford Powerstroke so there clearly is some overlap in applications between hydraulic fluid, tractor hydraulic fluid and ATF.

Last edited:
THF has a 9.7 cSt viscosity@100C with a specific additive package for heavy duty wet clutches in Farm and Construction equipment.

Dex/Merc and Mercon V fluids have a viscosity averaging 7.3 cSt@100C with a specific additive package for the ATF.

The specific additive packages for each type of fluid have different friction modifier chemistry for each application.

If the dipstick in the E40D says Mercon, put in Mercon or a Dex/Merc equivalent. If it says Mercon V, use a Mercon V.

Did Lubrication Engineers also suggest putting LE 7500 in your E40D or was that a decision you made on your own?

Either way, I think it was a bad choice.

http://www.lelubricants.com/lit/flyers/7...ASAAEgKodPD_BwE

Shows no coverage for Ford or any other Light Truck AT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
THF has a 9.7 cSt viscosity@100C with a specific additive package for heavy duty wet clutches in Farm and Construction equipment.

Dex/Merc and Mercon V fluids have a viscosity averaging 7.3 cSt@100C with a specific additive package for the ATF.

The specific additive packages for each type of fluid have different friction modifier chemistry for each application.

If the dipstick in the E40D says Mercon, put in Mercon or a Dex/Merc equivalent. If it says Mercon V, use a Mercon V.

Did Lubrication Engineers also suggest putting LE 7500 in your E40D or was that a decision you made on your own?

MoleKule, thanks for your comments. I am not smart enough to make decisions like running the LE7500 in my E4OD, that reccomendation came straight from LE. It’s been in there for about 40,000 miles and so far I really can’t say if the results have been good or bad, maybe just indifferent.

I understand about the different friction modifier requirements for different transmission manufacturers, but then Mobil 1 is an example of an ATF that, according to Mobil, meets multi vehicle requirements. I don’t think they use the term universal, but there is no warning about “don’t use this in...” How do they manage that?

When I first ran across your handle or screen name I thought you must have Polynesian ancestry. Then I put the two names together - doh!

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

MoleKule, thanks for your comments. I am not smart enough to make decisions like running the LE7500 in my E4OD, that reccomendation came straight from LE. It’s been in there for about 40,000 miles and so far I really can’t say if the results have been good or bad, maybe just indifferent.

I understand about the different friction modifier requirements for different transmission manufacturers, but then Mobil 1 is an example of an ATF that, according to Mobil, meets multi vehicle requirements. I don’t think they use the term universal, but there is no warning about “don’t use this in...” How do they manage that?

When I first ran across your handle or screen name I thought you must have Polynesian ancestry. Then I put the two names together - doh!

grin2.gif

Not Polynesian but I do have Polynesian friends; 2/3 American Indian with Irish, English, and Scotch in that descending order or parts per million. I figure anything after American Indian is "decending."
shocked2.gif

If that suggestion came from LE, I think I would change suppliers as I think it was not an educated nor correct response from them.

I would change the E40D fluid back to Mercon or an equivalent for the reasons I stated above.

A well informed owner will look at the Product Data Sheets like

https://www.mobil.com/english-us/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/glxxmobil-1-synthetic-atf

In making decisions in terms of appropriate application and usage of a specific fluid.

Mobil doesn't say I can't use Mobil 1 ATF in an engine or for frying chicken, but do you really think that would be prudent?
confused2.gif

Last edited:
Many years ago when drag racing 700HP cars with auto trans,

...we always used International Harvester Hy-Tran fluid.

Regular ATF (usually Type F) in those days wouldn't stand up to the abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back