Do you buy OEM fuel filters or aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always bought OEM fuel filters, and OEM items in general, but noticed that the OEM fuel filter (Filtech) for my Civic is almost 2x the price of a Fram/Wix and 4x the price of a Champion Labs. I'm curious if there is any real difference in quality between the OEM and one from one of the major aftermarket guys.

What do you guys typically do for your fuel filters?

I've not had any issues using Wix fuel filters. Regardless of where they are made, the filters always fit the specific application and appear to do their job.

OEM.

The only cars I've changed fuel filters on were Fords, so I just used motorcraft (OEM). I could see a case for aftermarket if the OEM filter was somehow crazy expensive.

Just dont buy cheap. I'm sure the filter is fine its the seals you need to worry about. You dont want a leak.

Have a Fram on my truck, and Champ Labs on other vehicles. They all work just fine.

Depends. On my rez truck, it just got a new filter, filtech probably, which replaced the Fram on there. Now my 3500 is a different story. It requires very fine filtration and water separation. Its fuel system is worth far more than what my rez truck could ever hope to be. It gets the factory filters, which are made by 2 manufacturers but get relabelled and various markups added.

Look at what is required for your vehicle. Some systems need a certain level of filtration and or water separation. Usually gas (I am not sure what DI requires) does not require much for filtration so you can get by with just about anything.

Have always bought aftermarket.

Originally Posted by drtyler
I've not had any issues using Wix fuel filters. Regardless of where they are made, the filters always fit the specific application and appear to do their job.

+1. In the process of moving to all Wix.

I bought an OEM one for my GTI. My car has two fuel pumps, one in the tank and a high pressure cam driven fuel pump for the direct injection. The fuel filter has a built in regulator for my application. I don't trust the aftermarket
to be as precise like the OEM filter in that regard.

Aftermarket.(clearance private brand) from Rock Auto. Not sure what's in them. I guess cutting them might be a little risky.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
When I buy a vehicle, my first replacement fuel filter is OEM and my subsequent filters are all aftermarket.

My logic for doing this is that I want to establish a baseline on how the vehicle runs (usually I'm buying used vehicles so there are certain parts I replace from the start) and from that point on, I should be able to pinpoint a problem if there's a problem with the aftermarket piece. I haven't roasted a fuel pump or stopped up injectors yet from a filter, so I guess I'm doing ok.

Depends, depends. Mostly on how critical fuel filtration is to the fuel system.

With the exception of CAT 2-micron filters, I never use a non-OEM fuel filter for diesel. Injectors are stupid expensive, sensitive, and a royal pain to replace. No thanks.

For gas, I can usually find a good enough deal on OEM that I'll do that. If it's just a regular old vehicle I have, then I'll just get a name brand fuel filter. If it's something I've had to clean the injectors on because they were disgusting, then I'll slap in a 6-micron filter/separator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back