6.5 diesel filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had low pressure with the following:
Mr Gasket pump, 10 mic racor filter, clear fuel screen filter, OEM pump, 2 micron filter.
It started out fine, then pressure dropped to 5 psi.
I cut the 2 micron filter open, it was clean. The fuel bowl on the 10 micron was clean. I did get some white and some black chunks in the clear screen filter.
My fuel return line on number 1 cylinder kept popping off.
When I switched to just the fuel screen it ran fine.
I want to go to a filter system similar to what I had, but 30 and 10 micron, then if I can the 2 micron.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corelokt
Had low pressure with the following:
Mr Gasket pump, 10 mic racor filter, clear fuel screen filter, OEM pump, 2 micron filter.
It started out fine, then pressure dropped to 5 psi.
I cut the 2 micron filter open, it was clean. The fuel bowl on the 10 micron was clean. I did get some white and some black chunks in the clear screen filter.
My fuel return line on number 1 cylinder kept popping off.
When I switched to just the fuel screen it ran fine.
I want to go to a filter system similar to what I had, but 30 and 10 micron, then if I can the 2 micron.
Thoughts?

Just my 2 cents worth on this one.:) Being that the 6.5 has the old pump and injectors they were filtered down to 10 microns much the same as my 93 cummins. Why not run a Racor 20 micron water separator after the tank and then a 10 micron after the lift pump. Not sure why the return line is coming off though as this should have nothing to do with the primary and secondary fuel filters. This filtering setup is more than adequate for the 6.5.

Believe the maximum Stanadyne IP pressure is only 5 PSI-wonder if your return line is clear (causing the return line blowoff, & risking blowing seals out of the IP)? I agree with A310 above, and add that 10 microns would be a good enough level of filtration, a 6.5 or 6.2 IDI isn't going to be as picky on fuel cleanliness as a HEUI or CR system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back