2. Filter with carbon
3. Electrostatic with carbon
Which do you normally get?
Posted By: ZZman

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 03:06 AM

I recently bought a #2
Posted By: Leo99

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 03:14 AM

I don't put much energy into thinking about cabin filters. Usually just buy Fram.
Posted By: Merkava_4

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 03:15 AM

K&N --- Wish I would've got one sooner.
Posted By: Insertcoolname

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 03:23 AM

I've used them all. I personally can't tell a difference. Get whatever's cheap. I've used wix #1, denso #3, fram #2.
I found them at Rock auto less than $10. When u bundle supplies for multiple cars from 1 warehouse it's worth the shipping. Just my opinion. Currently running a denso #1
Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 03:47 AM

The cheapest one and it get changed out with every OCI!
Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 03:55 AM

the carbon filters
Posted By: SirTanon

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 04:25 AM

I buy the plain WIX cabin filters from Rock Auto for about $5.80 each. Never had a problem.
Posted By: Trav

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 04:58 AM

I got one from Napa with carbon, it had a better fit and better gasket than the plain paper one.
Posted By: daves87rs

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 05:03 AM

#1 with a Wix
Posted By: rooflessVW

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 05:05 AM

Mann, Mahle, or Hengst w/ activated charcoal.
Posted By: E365

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 06:28 AM

Plain.

Recently put in a MANN filter into my MINI Cooper and the fit was quite poor, surprisingly. MANN is usually good. Pulled out a Purflux that was much nicer.
Posted By: earlyre

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 10:20 AM

my car doesn't take one. frown
Posted By: Sayjac

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 11:19 AM

#1 Which is the same 'type' that came as oem(Honda). However I don't chase oem, aftermarket are less expensive work just as well, ime. Last one I bought was an AAP Carquest, equivalent quality to oem.

As for #2, I've read comments on several forums including here and product reviews, some brand anecdotes report air flow is restricted.
Posted By: chrisri

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: earlyre

You filtrate with your lungs smile
Posted By: ATex7239

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 01:38 PM

Whatever the Fram Fresh Breeze ones are, that's the one I use...
Posted By: Kira

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 02:11 PM

Foreign ones for the Saabs and Volvos (Mahle, Hengst, MANN, Corteco) from FCP, AutohausAZ or eEuroparts.

WIX for everything else via RockAuto single warehouse order.
Posted By: BHopkins

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 02:14 PM

1. Napa Gold. I can get them for under $8. I like having a cabin filter, but resent paying too much for them.

The idea of a carbon filter interests me, but I've questioned the benefit. Perhaps if I lived in a big city where it is common for the air to stink from pollution, a carbon filter may be more important to try. So it's never been important enough to try.
Posted By: Tdbo

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 02:17 PM

Cheapest one I can find.
Posted By: knerml

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 02:54 PM

Plain - OEM, Denso or Mahle
Posted By: Johnny248

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 03:03 PM

I buy the cheapest charcoal filter I can find.
Posted By: marine65

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 04:10 PM

I buy the cheapest ones on Rock Auto, about $5.00 and change them every June.
I've found that the cheap ones flow better. Maybe they don't filter as well but my main concern is air flow.
Heat when its 20 below zero and A/C when its a 100 degrees.
thats Colorado for you.
Posted By: mclasser

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 05:57 PM

I don't notice any difference with charcoal/baking powder-infused filters, which is why I'm sticking with el cheapo filters from now on. The extra air flow is also a bonus.
Posted By: Reddy45

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 08:35 PM

The "carbon" is just a marketing gimmick.. at least in the capful quantities they put in them.

I own a few IQAir filters for my home that use actual carbon for odor/VOC filtration, and these work, but they have 12 pounds of carbon that costs $300 and lasts 2 years before needing replacement.

https://www.achooallergy.com/air-purifie...-260-ia-4-ac-4/

I'm actually convinced that cabin filters are of zero benefit to the passengers because dirty air leaks in through many other places. If anything, the filter just prevents the evap core from getting dirty.
Posted By: Chris142

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: earlyre
none of ours do either.

My customers always need a new one. I just order one for that car.
Posted By: earlyre

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I'm actually convinced that cabin filters are of zero benefit to the passengers because dirty air leaks in through many other places. If anything, the filter just prevents the evap core from getting dirty.

you say that like it's a bad thing...
Posted By: simple_gifts

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 10:16 PM

charcoal air filters like anti-bacterial soap, is a product where industry created a demand where none existed or was needed.

I breath 'regular air' 24 hours a day; if you want my interior air more healthy, take out that poisonous 'new car smell'
Posted By: DBMaster

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/10/17 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I don't notice any difference with charcoal/baking powder-infused filters, which is why I'm sticking with el cheapo filters from now on. The extra air flow is also a bonus.

+1
Posted By: MikeB4rsk

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/24/17 02:16 PM

Speaking of filters.. say you have a car with a filter and you switch it out to a clean one.. why is it when you turn the air on you still get a bunch of junk coming out of the vents?
Posted By: rooflessVW

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/24/17 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeB4rsk
Speaking of filters.. say you have a car with a filter and you switch it out to a clean one.. why is it when you turn the air on you still get a bunch of junk coming out of the vents?

The filter isn't seated properly and you're sucking built up junk from the cowl.

Or, it's an old car and that's dry-rotted bits of blend door foam coming out of the vents.
Posted By: PW01

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/24/17 05:18 PM

I just put a Fram Fresh Breeze in my Fusion
Posted By: Matagonka

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 10/04/17 11:57 AM

2. Carbon
Posted By: StevieC

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 10/13/17 11:17 AM

I buy the cheapest I can find which is usually TYC on Amazon.

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 10/14/17 04:58 AM

TYC 800006P Toyota Replacement Cabin Air Filter
$6.08 I replace it with every OCI Oct/May
Posted By: Aichiguy

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 10/28/17 10:34 PM

Kootec 2/$12.99 Amazon.
Posted By: irv

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 11/11/17 02:54 AM

Man, you guys get great deals south of us! I paid $29.99 for one of these for my wife's new Chev Impala. Truth be known, I thought most manu's gave these up a few years ago based on data that most never changed them out? Regardless, while looking up an engine air filter, I seen our new to us car had one. I personally like the fact it has one. Cheers2
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/fram-f...tment-component
Posted By: repairman54

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 11/21/17 10:40 PM

My '11 Tahoe wasn't built with one. RA had a retro fit kit for it. What a big reduction on interior dust like on the dash, etc. .
I was surprised filter was not OEM on a late model expensive vehicle, my old '00 Sable and up had them.

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 12/01/17 12:33 PM

I suppose omission of a CAF is a butch truck thing. Hey, look how much they reduced the cost of your truck! (Ha-Ha)

My friend's 1997 F-150 has a bit of the glovebox floor (either a depression or raised section) which is to be removed (cut out) as part of a CAF retrofit.
Posted By: opus1

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 12/24/17 05:34 PM

Now that the stores are stocking Fram's equivalent for my Sonata, I've been using those, with the carbon. Before that it was the dealer's stock.
Posted By: Gary

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 01/15/18 03:28 PM

Something like this for allergen reduction, sticky resin impregnated. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B072J97LHX/_...0CW9T&psc=0
https://smile.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-FP-005-FreciousPlus/dp/B00URDPUBY/ref=sr_1_18?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1516029909&sr=1-18&refinements=p_89%3AMann+Filter
Posted By: Mr Nice

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 01/15/18 03:54 PM

I buy low cost filters from RockAuto.
Posted By: Matagonka

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 02/04/18 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: repairman54
My '11 Tahoe wasn't built with one. RA had a retro fit kit for it. What a big reduction on interior dust like on the dash, etc. .
I was surprised filter was not OEM on a late model expensive vehicle, my old '00 Sable and up had them.

Why the heck would GM do that?
Posted By: Richie

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 02/04/18 07:55 PM

I've only used the plain versions.

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 02/06/18 01:16 PM

Matagonka said, "Why the heck would GM do that?"

To save the cost of making an additional mold for the plastic parts necessary. The next revision of that model likely had a CAF.

My friend's '97 F-150 has clearly designated panels to remove in order to install a CAF. RockAuto even sells the kit.
Posted By: irv

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 02/06/18 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
Originally Posted By: repairman54

Why the heck would GM do that?

I heard, which could be false info or course, was that hardly anyone ever checked/changed them? I also heard that is why most vehicles nowadays don't have grease fittings. shrug
Posted By: kohnen

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 02/10/18 12:07 AM

I get the reasonably priced ones on Amazon. I buy enough at a time to get them shipped for free. But, most importantly, I replace them myself so I don't get totally ripped off by a dealer on the replacement labor!
Posted By: Bighorn2500

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 02/11/18 11:25 AM

Lately the Denso for $5 at Rockauto for the Jeep & Ram
Posted By: NGRhodes

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 02/11/18 01:25 PM

Can only get carbon for my car.
Posted By: Richie

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 02/11/18 04:03 PM

Been using Wix cabin filters
Posted By: Nyogtha

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 02/11/18 04:49 PM

I purchase cabin air filters for my truck from Rockauto, Ultra Power brand with a Wix part number. I buy cabin air filters for my wife's car at AAP (CQ brand) now because I can get them cheaper there with discount codes than from RA with shipping; I previously purchased ATP brand & STP brand from RA.

I stick with particulate only removal, no activated carbon or baking soda.

All are $5 or less list price.

All are made in China that I've purchased regardless of brand.
Posted By: EricBeau

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 02/17/18 07:54 PM

The first time I changed one myself I used a WIX 24815 that I ordered from O'Reilly Auto Parts online. I'll probably use a FRAM CF10134 next time because it costs less than the WIX and is available locally.
Posted By: nthach

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 02/23/18 09:00 PM

I usually try to get the carbon-impregnated ones. Usually Mahle off Amazon, which is believe is made by Freudenberg.
Posted By: plf

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 04/10/18 07:00 PM

have had luck with puro in the past. Just put an STP in my 2010 Honda CRV had to trim it up way to much for my liking will look into maybe a fram next time.
Posted By: sgtrockjoe

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 06/03/18 09:30 PM

Also use the Wix.
Posted By: TheLawnRanger

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 06/04/18 02:42 AM

While I'm usually a Wix fan, I went with Microgards from O"Reilly. After looking at them in the store, I couldn't justify paying an extra $10 for the Wix. Also, in my younger days, I didn't even know what a cabin air filter was. When I change the one on my car after 100,000 miles, it wasn't in bad condition at all.
Posted By: nike360baller

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 06/07/18 09:04 PM

I got good "zoom zoom" aka better throttle response from using WIX and this was in a Honda Accord of yester-year.
Posted By: gaijinnv

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 06/08/18 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: nike360baller
I got good "zoom zoom" aka better throttle response from using WIX and this was in a Honda Accord of yester-year.

You really don't even read the threads you post to, do you LOL

That or I'm really missing how one gets good "zoom zoom" from a cabin air filter ???
Posted By: Deamos

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 06/12/18 09:02 PM

My most recent swap was a Bosch filter, I've used in the past: Wix, Fram, Beck Arnley, OEM and probably more that I can't remember.

No real preference beyond price and convenience of procuring the filter. This most recent swap (last weekend) was overdue given the level of dirt in the old filter (really should have taken pics) and the apparent level of restriction it was causing. AC is working quite a bit better since the swap. :-)
Posted By: mjoekingz28

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 06/12/18 10:44 PM

Purolator from AAP and mfg ones from the dealership parts counter. Both are great.
Posted By: CT Rob

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 06/16/18 07:37 PM

Just replaced my factory cab filter in my 17 Tundra with a Toyota charcoal filter . see how it goes for the next year,Factory one was all sorts of dirty
Posted By: joekingcorvette

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 08/16/18 02:36 AM

K & N reusable filter.

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 08/16/18 02:59 AM

The one on sale I change it every OIC along with the Air intake filter.
Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 08/16/18 03:35 AM

I want to try one of those new "biofunctional" cabin filters

Mann Frecious Plus and Mahle Care Metix (part numbers starting with LAO -- yes, that's a letter oh, not the number zero)

The Mann FP media is yellow, while the Mahle counterpart is blue.
Posted By: AMC

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 08/21/18 02:07 PM

I like Fram the best as it has both carbon and baking soda in it and is a good value.

Wix/Napa Gold is my second choice for the good quality construction and carbon treated media.
Posted By: Ilia

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 08/23/18 12:48 PM

definitely right choice cause pm2/pm2.5 is the real problem and protection in this filters are better compared to standard active charcoal one.
Mann FP is patented, Mahle-dind't found concrete info.
also check for Corteco/Freudenberg micron air blue.
Posted By: 1JZ_E46

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 08/24/18 05:09 AM

Activated carbon Mann filter is the only way to go. Takes out smoke and diesel odor, among other smells, from the incoming air.
Posted By: crazy_raccoon

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/04/18 03:38 AM

I stopped using the FRAM in cabin filters with the carbon because the airflow decreased a lot in both our vehicles. Sure it blocked out a lot of nasty stuff but it blocked the air also. Turning up full blast felt like it was halfway turned up and is making the A/C knit working overtime to push through the filter. I ended up going back to the basic $10 filters that have decent amount of pleats. Works better, cheaper and less wear/tear on the A/C unit.
Posted By: carloz

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/04/18 07:53 AM

It may not be the best, but I'm very pleased with Wix filters.
Posted By: Motorking

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/05/18 09:30 PM

FRAM Fresh Breeze Cabin filters have activated carbon and arm and hammer baking soda to trap odors, not saying you car stinks or anything!
Posted By: Motorking

Re: What kind of cabin filter do you like? - 09/05/18 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by crazy_raccoon
I stopped using the FRAM in cabin filters with the carbon because the airflow decreased a lot in both our vehicles. Sure it blocked out a lot of nasty stuff but it blocked the air also. Turning up full blast felt like it was halfway turned up and is making the A/C knit working overtime to push through the filter. I ended up going back to the basic $10 filters that have decent amount of pleats. Works better, cheaper and less wear/tear on the A/C unit.

Are you sure it was installed in the right direction?
explanation here
http://www.underhoodservice.com/vid...-backward/?eid=284513345&bid=2230002
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy