I Experienced PlayStation 4 VR Headset and ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is pretty good. Yesterday was early gift exchange with son and daughter-in-law. I'd gotten them a PS4 console, PS4 VR Skyrim Bundle (new CUH-ZVR2 version headset released last month), and an PowerA display/charging rack for all the VR stuff. Soon as they open the console wrapping they laugh. Seems they just bought themselves a new PS4 console couple weeks ago. Then they opened the VR and were blown away.

Of course, once all setup I got to try it out. Not a big fan of fantasy games but gave Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim a shot. Well I can tell you the VR experience is pretty cool. It's all 3D. As far as resolution goes it's not quite as hi-res HD as what's on the TV. This is because while the VR headset's screen is 1920x1080p, because it is stereoscopic the system renders two halfs of the screen separately-- one for each eye (features two lenses in the headset one left one right). So you're actually viewing 960x1080 graphics in 3D. It still looks pretty good though. The 3D effect is very well done and when characters in the game are engaging you or if you're talking to them it is like someone in real life 1:1 scale there before you, albeit a fairly decent job of rendering. Turning your head is same as looking around in real life the virtual world of the game is all around you as far as that goes. Turn and look to the side and it's like you've turned your head to look at the stuff beside you in real life. There was no jitter or warping or choppiness, all completely smooth, very good scaling near and distance. It has two ear buds with the headset and the sound tracks in 3D as well and is all around you but you hear something to the right and turn to look you then hear it in front of you, etc.

The move controllers were not charged so cannot review those. Had to use the gamepad which I'm not at all skilled with. 'Suspension of disbelief happens in the headset, since in a fee parts that had me walking up steps to a foot bridge overlook and etc gave a little bit of spatial disorientation, nothing major, but I have to wonder how it would feel in a decently rendered flight simulation or space (star wars) simulation.

So.... seems I have a brand new PS4 in unopened box sitting upstairs (remember, they'd already bought the console few weeks). Do I refund it or do I go out and grab myself a VR headset and wait for Ace Combat 7 to release in a few months, LoL.

I will say this about the trailers for PS4 VR games that are on youtube, like the Ace Combat 7 one. I *suspect* the trailer is being shown from the 1920x1080p rendering on the tv screen. I do not think the resolution shown in the video trailers is true to what displays in the VR headset. In the VR headset it is going to be about 1/2 of that res, approx 960x1080 instead of the 1920x1080p being shown in the video trailer.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong about this. I just think it might be misleading to watch the video trailers that look so tight and sharp in 1920x1080p and then be disappointed when in-headset graphics are not as sharp. But they will be in full spatial-accurate 3D, which counts for a lot.

I've been an Ace Combat fan since PS1 days. If I had a PS4 VR setup, I'd be waiting for 7 to release. I'm a bit excited about it but I'm on a lowly Xbox One.

The PS4 VR experience is actually a really cool first time VR experience. It is actually not bad. But if you think that was awesome, You should try the high end PC with an HTC Vive/Oculus Rift. I see them set up at Comic conventions and such for free usage. They are an insane experience like no other.

I've tried several VR headsets and get instant motion sickness. Haven't tried one of the latest though. Are they getting it perfected or are there people who just won't be able to use them? Get sick in the flight and race simulator capsules too.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
I've tried several VR headsets and get instant motion sickness. Haven't tried one of the latest though. Are they getting it perfected or are there people who just won't be able to use them? Get sick in the flight and race simulator capsules too.

Don't know, but this guy also seems to get vertigo with VR, LoL:

The resolution and refresh rate isn't high enough yet for an awesome VR experience. The PS4 VR experience is a joke. The VR glasses people are buying are pathetic.
Todays VR experience is like a cup of instant coffee. It sucks and it's giving VR a bad mindset for the future.
I guarantee you the VR experience 15 years from now will make you remember how crummy it was back in the day.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The resolution and refresh rate isn't high enough yet for an awesome VR experience. The PS4 VR experience is a joke. The VR glasses people are buying are pathetic.
Todays VR experience is like a cup of instant coffee. It sucks and it's giving VR a bad mindset for the future.
I guarantee you the VR experience 15 years from now will make you remember how crummy it was back in the day.

Oh get over yourself. How come VR products are top sellers and both consumers and tech reviewers are raving about them?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Oh get over yourself. How come VR products are top sellers and both consumers and tech reviewers are raving about them?

Consumer VR right now is like in the early days of digital photography. Everyone wanted and bought digital cameras even though the resolution and color rendition wasn't even close to traditional film photos. The early days taught people to expect less from digital, possibly how VR isn't as refined as top tier games right now. We were in the photo biz and it was painful. VR will get where skyactiv thinks it will go and people aren't going to stop buying it. Hoping they can get it where kinetosis sufferers can use it but not hopeful.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Consumer VR right now is like in the early days of digital photography. Everyone wanted and bought digital cameras even though the resolution and color rendition wasn't even close to traditional film photos.

As an aside, have you noticed how big the reinvention of the functionality of the Polaroid camera is this Christmas? Yeesh.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back