Updated Samsung Note 10.1 (2012) to Nougat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tired of things just crashing and poor battery life, I bit the bullet and upgraded from KitKat (I believe) which was the last Samsung update in 2015 to Nougat after rooting, changing the recovery program to TWRP and then loading Lineage 14.1 and the mini collection of Google Apps.

Really woke up the 5 year old tablet. Battery life is better and I can install newer software.

I will post more later. Just pulled down an image I sent to my son to show him the version I installed...

Can concur.

I upgraded Moto XT910 to Lineage 14.1 (umts_spyder), a day and night difference. Also upgraded Galaxy S4 to optimized Lineage 14.1 (available through XDA), performance is same but have a peace of mind that security updates are patched now.

Great news.

You havs to ask why iPads get slower when you update iOS!

My old iPad 2 is now too old to even get updates.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Great news.

It's called planned obsolescence. They want you to buy a new one.

The iPad 2 came out over 6 years ago. That's ancient for consumer tech.

I am clearly getting my old!

I don't like replacing things that still work.

The iPad 2 still looks remarkably modern, to me anyway.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Originally Posted By: bigjl
Great news.

It's called planned obsolescence. They want you to buy a new one.

The iPad 2 came out over 6 years ago. That's ancient for consumer tech.

I don't know if it's necessarily planned obsolescence. It may be that obsolescence is inevitable due to the pace of new tech coming out.

For the most part, new apps are simply more bloated and inefficient. The developers don't care because their primary target is newer devices with more RAM and faster CPUs.

javacontour, nicely done. I wonder if the Galaxy S5 can run Nougat. I seem to have read about incompatibility with the Snapdragon 800/801 CPU, but find that hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back