My first HDMI A/V receiver...Yamaha RX-V481

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had it for a week and really needed to upgrade. So far so good but really enjoying the internet option with music etc and firmware updating. It also has a wireless speaker option too.

Nice!

I've had the V471 for a few years now. It does not have all the internet bells and whistles, but it's been a very good basic H/T receiver.

What speakers/sub are you running?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Nice!

I've had the V471 for a few years now. It does not have all the internet bells and whistles, but it's been a very good basic H/T receiver.

What speakers/sub are you running?

Its a mix match of various speakers I have collected here and there.....Audio Research center, JBL sub, Sony main speakers and Polk rear. They have been stored away the last 6-7 until we bought a HD TV a few yrs ago. I want to replace the sony main speakers next.they really aren't that great at least the bass speakers in them.

Yup, getting a properly matched left, right, and center speakers should make a big difference to your movie watching experience. Also make sure to use the supplied mic/YPAO system to properly calibrate it.

Due to limited space currently and an adventurous 2-year-old, I'm just using two small DefTech speakers up front and a cheap 10" Velodyne sub. No center, no rears. One of these days I'll do a proper HT setup again...

I'm in the market for a new A/V receiver, currently running a Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX, she's starting to get a little long in the tooth, still and Xcellent receiver.

This Yamaha replaced an older around 2001? Sony A/V receiver. The center channel went out for some reason? I guess it gave me an excuse to upgrade to HDMI. Best Buy had them for $349.00.

Here's my av receiver history
Yamaha 50 watts x 3 plus rears 2 x 15 on the rears
Yamaha AC3 80 watts x 5
Onkyo pre-HDMI on sale (killed the Yamaha it replaced)
Pioneer Elite VSX-40 very easy to listen to
Marantz SR 5010 plagued with video dropouts.The unit was sent for repair twice with problem never resolved. Marantz sent me a shipping label, and said they would send me a replacement. The replacement was sent promptly. Imagine my increase in blood pressure when I saw they sent me a refurb! The very next day at 9:05 AM I took the unit to my selling dealer. I told the dealer that I refused to take a refurb. The dealer worked a deal with me and I was shipped a Yamaha Aventage receiver. The Marantz had the edge in sound, but the Yamaha has rock solid reliability. I will never buy a Marantz or Denon product again. The dealer also expressed how poorly he was treated by a Marantz corporate rep.
Front mains PSB Image T-55 with upgraded Clarity Caps
Front Height Paradigm Cinemas
Center Channel HSU
Rears Definitive Technology ProCinema Pro Monitor 60's
Velodyne SPL 1000
As long as you shop for neutral sound, mix brands all you want!

Originally Posted By: Gillsy
Here's my av receiver history
Yamaha 50 watts x 3 plus rears 2 x 15 on the rears
Yamaha AC3 80 watts x 5
Onkyo pre-HDMI on sale (killed the Yamaha it replaced)
Pioneer Elite VSX-40 very easy to listen to
Marantz SR 5010 plagued with video dropouts.The unit was sent for repair twice with problem never resolved. Marantz sent me a shipping label, and said they would send me a replacement. The replacement was sent promptly. Imagine my increase in blood pressure when I saw they sent me a refurb! The very next day at 9:05 AM I took the unit to my selling dealer. I told the dealer that I refused to take a refurb. The dealer worked a deal with me and I was shipped a Yamaha Aventage receiver. The Marantz had the edge in sound, but the Yamaha has rock solid reliability. I will never buy a Marantz or Denon product again. The dealer also expressed how poorly he was treated by a Marantz corporate rep.
Front mains PSB Image T-55 with upgraded Clarity Caps
Front Height Paradigm Cinemas
Center Channel HSU
Rears Definitive Technology ProCinema Pro Monitor 60's
Velodyne SPL 1000
As long as you shop for neutral sound, mix brands all you want!
Upgrade time! Although I had no issues with the Yamaha Aventage, I went back to an Onkyo for preferred sound/performance. I bought an Onkyo TX-RZ610 from Crutchfield on sale. It was a substantial upgrade from the Yammy. I don't know anyone who can match the return policy of Crutchfield. Delighted!

I'm still using my 1980's Pioneer SA 8800 and RG-2 with the blue flouroscan meters and running out with JBL 112's. Still works great but probably need to have them all recapped. Guess maybe I need to re-educate myself on the "new" stuff but that's going to be one hard sound to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back