Husky 144 Tooth Ratchets

I have used Craftsman for decades without complaint save for the handle shape which is not ergonomic or comfortable.

Husky ratchets (like several others in the same price range) mimic (what I call) the Snap-On profile. This shape is more comfortable to my hands and has less of a tendency to break a vein in my hand when I am seriously pulling on it.

I ran across the video below for the 144 tooth model and was pretty impressed with the cost versus performance. I like the 2.5° arc they have and am considering buying a couple.

Anyone have any feedback or input on them?

https://youtu.be/OmZPJs7tmVc

I'm always a sucker for new ratchets. I have a bunch of SnapOn ones that I bought off the truck that he got from another truck driver that went out of business. I might have to try these out sometime. At least put something like a "take to the racetrack" toolbox so the good stuff doesn't get stolen.

The Husky ratchets are probably just fine.
For me, life it too short to not use SO ratchets, budget allowing.
My 2nd choice is the HF SO style ratchets; I have the long handle 1/2" and use it all the time.
All good.

Last edited:
I dont know that Ive heard of 144 tooth ratchets. I thought the good SO ones were like 80-100 teeth.

At some point Id assume the teeth get small enough that the tiny arc is negated by the tiny teeth which cannot hold any appreciable torque.

Snap-on 3/8" & 1/2" are 80 tooth...1/4" are 72 tooth. The old/previous 36 tooth SO ratchets are actually a little stronger, Especially the 1/2" drive. I have one that I break out for cheater pipe duty when a breaker bar can't be indexed for the task.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Snap-on 3/8" & 1/2" are 80 tooth...1/4" are 72 tooth. The old/previous 36 tooth SO ratchets are actually a little stronger, Especially the 1/2" drive. I have one that I break out for cheater pipe duty when a breaker bar can't be indexed for the task.

The first new SO I owned was 20T F710B IIRC, that was a long time ago but it was a great tool, little back drag, smooth and nice to work with.
I still use a 36T and a 72T fine ratchet a lot without any problems which make me wonder how much of this more teeth is better is of real benefit verses advertising.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
At some point Id assume the teeth get small enough that the tiny arc is negated by the tiny teeth which cannot hold any appreciable torque.
In the video, both of the ratchets took quite a bit of torque before breaking (required a cheater pipe) and it was the anvil (square drive) end that broke on both of them; the teeth on the pawls and the body of the ratchet appeared to be fine.

Originally Posted by tom slick
Notice it's "144 position" not "144 tooth". With dual pawls it could be a 72 tooth
Good catch and it could be indeed. The video shows the position count against other ratchets and it appears the 2.5° arc allows for very close operation of the ratchet.

Originally Posted by Trav

The first new SO I owned was 20T F710B IIRC, that was a long time ago but it was a great tool, little back drag, smooth and nice to work with.
I still use a 36T and a 72T fine ratchet a lot without any problems which make me wonder how much of this more teeth is better is of real benefit verses advertising.

I think it benefited the 1/4" drive & 1/4" drive bodied ratchets as that's what we use in tight/confined spaces where arc to the next tooth matters. Rarely does it matter on a 3/8" but I got snared anyway
cry.gif

I only have 1 Dual 80 1/2" which is a extra long flex head, Have no intentions to replace/update the other 36T 1/2" ratchets.

I bought a Husky 144 position ratchet and socket set a couple of months ago... It has been very good to use thus far. .

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by Trav

I think it benefited the 1/4" drive & 1/4" drive bodied ratchets as that's what we use in tight/confined spaces where arc to the next tooth matters. Rarely does it matter on a 3/8" but I got snared anyway
cry.gif

I only have 1 Dual 80 1/2" which is a extra long flex head, Have no intentions to replace/update the other 36T 1/2" ratchets.

Yes. I think my SO is 72 teeth and the 9" long 1/4 drive gearwrench is a dual pawl 60. Tight places are something I face on almost every euro car job, very little is easily accessed, I find 12pt sockets very handy.

The opened ratchet shows two pawls next to each other, so are they working as one pawl or dual pawl? I think when fine teeth wear then the slipping starts otherwise they are plenty strong. Looking at ratchet destruction videos it seems nearly all just break the drive end off before any damage to internals. The quick release puts a hole in the drive so it's weaker. For my diy use I definitely like quick release.
Looked at video again and at 3:57 the pawls do look spaced exactly so the teeth are between the other pawls teeth fwiw. Pretty good imo.

I picked up the set of them and used the 3/8" ratchet this morning. I am happy with the ergonomics of the handles and the very short throw thus far. I have a steering stabilizer relocation to do this weekend and will report back after that.

These things are great for working in tight spaces. They have become my favorite ratchet and am very happy with the form, function, and fit.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by tom slick
Notice it's "144 position" not "144 tooth". With dual pawls it could be a 72 tooth
Good catch and it could be indeed. The video shows the position count against other ratchets and it appears the 2.5° arc allows for very close operation of the ratchet.

If I'm not mistaken, all of the ratchets designs out there with 'counts' in excess of ~72 (??) are in fact using dual pawls so the number they advertise is 2x the number of teeth. It accomplishes what they claim though - less swing arc. As JHZR2 mentioned, at some point the teeth have to get sooooo small to fit on the gear inside the ratchet head that there's nothing to engage. There has to be a practical limit in the ~72 tooth range (or the head becomes way out of proportion).

Just a note, the price on these is currently $49.97 at Home Depot for the set of three.

Even though these are dual pawl ratchets, the ratchet head isn't overly thick. It's about the same size as Snap-on and Proto 90T.

I’ve got a vintage Husky ratchet that’s nice. As for the newer sockets and ratchets I’m not really impressed they just feel so cheap. I bought one of their chrome sockets as a fill in size after the first use the drive end wallowed out and I cracked a 30mm socket from them on an axle nut so I’m not too impressed but since I purchased that socket the same day I broke it they replaced it. Kobalt would be my go to at least they are Taiwan made and feel quality.

I have some Gearwrench 120XP ratchets that definitely feel like 120 compared to a standard ratchet. They have held up well against torque, but I also don't try to use them on stuck fasteners.

I can't imagine what a 144 would feel like. The 120XP makes such a light 'click' on each advance that I can't imagine it being any less engaging.

Back