Stripped Bolt...best extractor set?

I'm working on my '89 560SEL currently and while I was removing the oil pan, one of the bolts holding it to the block stripped. It unfortunately stripped without having anything to grab onto so I will need to purchase an extractor set. Do you all have any recommendations on what to purchase?

Luckily I have a ton of clearance and things aren't at an awkward angle. Just want something that will back it out easily.

I've never had good luck with ANY easy-out style extractor. Whether the type that have the build in drill head with reverse threads or the fluted type. I did find the irwin stripped bolt remover sockets to work reasonably well on a Ford starter bolt that was rounded off once...

I'm having trouble understanding your problem - Did the bolt head round out? Did the bolt shear off? Did you strip the block threads?

For the record, if the bolt broke/sheared off because it was stuck in the block by corrosion, then an extractor isn't likely to work - because you'll have to exceed the torque that caused the bolt to fail in the first place, using an extractor that is smaller than that bolt.

I've broken quite a few extractors without getting anything out.

I drill them out these days, and then Time-sert to repair. Time-sert works great on an aluminum block, which is probably what you're facing at the moment.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I'm having trouble understanding your problem - Did the bolt head round out? Did the bolt shear off? Did you strip the block threads?

For the record, if the bolt broke/sheared off because it was stuck in the block by corrosion, then an extractor isn't likely to work - because you'll have to exceed the torque that caused the bolt to fail in the first place, using an extractor that is smaller than that bolt.

I drill them out these days, and then Time-sert to repair. Time-sert works great on an aluminum block, which is probably what you're facing at the moment.

Bolt head sheared off. All of the other bolts came out just fine so I'm not really concerned that there's corrosion holding it in...just seems like a fluke or perhaps it was over torqued by a previous owner.

Well - you might get lucky...if there's not a lot of torque holding it in.

If not, then there is Time-sert - which, although expensive, works really well.

I lucked out...that specific bolt had a nut on the other end that held it in place. Loosened the nut and it brought out the rest of the bolt with it.

Originally Posted by samven
Now go buy a lottery ticket, luck like that does not come along very often.

No kidding. That bolt happens to go through the ac compressor bracket which is why it has the nut. There's another bolt right next to it that also goes through the compressor bracket and it is missing the nut...someone has definitely messed with things. So annoying when previous owners lose hardware or put things back together without attention to detail.

I know you already fixed it, but I've always had good luck using a left handed drill bit of almost the same minor diameter... like a 3/8 left handed drill bit for a 1/2-13 hole. They generally grab the broken bolt after you drill into it a bit and zip it right out without messing up the threads.

I drill them out these days, Astro 14

Yep, I have a routine that removes as much of the interior of the bolt with drill bits and then I pry the bolt threads into the hole created. Often, just cleaning up the original threads with a chase is all that is needed. You think my method is slow, try drilling out a sheared EZ out
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by TXCarGeek
So annoying when previous owners lose hardware or put things back together without attention to detail.

That is true! Lots of people don't bother looking for dropped screws if it still runs. However it is also quite possible that the missing nut is somewhere at a dealer service center. My Ody came back from the dealer with a bolt and nut missing from a wiring bracket under hood, and an Oldsmobile in my former life lost 6 interior screws at the dealership. Apparently they don't care as long as it runs!

Originally Posted by RyanY
Originally Posted by TXCarGeek
So annoying when previous owners lose hardware or put things back together without attention to detail.

That is true! Lots of people don't bother looking for dropped screws if it still runs. However it is also quite possible that the missing nut is somewhere at a dealer service center. My Ody came back from the dealer with a bolt and nut missing from a wiring bracket under hood, and an Oldsmobile in my former life lost 6 interior screws at the dealership. Apparently they don't care as long as it runs!

So far I've had to replace 10 bolts on this vehicle as I've started going through it. Luckily I've been able to find exact replacements at my local Lowes. Also pulled some bolts and screws from some W126s at a pick n pull. I like having extra hardware at hand.

I've had issues with the dealerships losing stuff as well...I make sure they replace it if I find something missing lol.

Last edited:
Back