inline oiler for water separator on compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finally going to upgrade to a 60 gallon air compressor and i'm thinking of getting a different water separating filter, one that automatically oils. Can anyone tell me about this? I like to use a blow gun to blow myself off so is it going to be blowing oil out when I use this? I know you're suppose to use a different hose when painting since you don't want a hose that oil has been run through. All this time I just add a little air tool oil manually to my tools because the separator I had didn't have an oiler.

I would not use an inline Oiler. Just get some air tool oil. And occasionally give your air tools a couple drops.

Originally Posted by P10crew
I would not use an inline Oiler. Just get some air tool oil. And occasionally give your air tools a couple drops.

This. Plus if you ever want to use a paint gun, you will get oil from from the line in your gun and ruin anything you try to paint.

I'm a semi mechanic and no shop I worked at ever had one. I'm guessing it's because we use blow guns and who on earth wants an oil mist blowing out?

Cordless impacts have replaced using an air impact much of the time. We use the company owned 1" air impact for semi wheels.

This is on my tool chest at work:

[Linked Image]

Always oil at the tool only.

I don't like inline oilers because then *everything* gets oiled.

The oil can soften air hoses from the inside out, too.

All you need is a setup similar to this and use different fitting for oil/air and air. I use 2 hoses one with automotive fittings for tools and industrial fittings for air only.
This is about 12 years ago and has been changed a lot over the years but the principal is the same. The setup in the garage is similar only with a bigger compressor.
Top is air/water seperator and pressure regulator and the bottom is filter/regulator unit and oiler, it works great for the work bench.

[Linked Image]

I worked in a place that made roof trusses in the 1970s. Every 25' hanging from the ceiling was an air hose and quick disconnect. We used a lot of pneumatic staplers and would drag over an air hose and stapler and connect it to the quick disconnect hanging down.

We had to reach for the quick disconnect to insert the male end and as it was being connected an ounce or two of air tool oil would be shot down your arm. Good way to start the day.

It looked like ATF but I never asked what it it was.

The big machines to used press the trusses were all hydraulic, but air was used for some ancillary functions.

You can get an oiler that attaches on the tool, but all you need is a couple drops of oil when you use the tool, and maybe when you put it away. I have oilers on both of my tire machines, which have several air cylinders on them, but the oilers are usually empty anyway when I remember to check them. I would never blast oil through all of my airlines. The best upgrade for your new compressor would be a refrigerated air dryer. Not cheap, but dry air is priceless. Won't mess up a paint job, and air tools last much, much longer.

Last edited:
Whats the problem blowing oil mist through air lines that are only used on air tools? I have a Goodyear air hose that has had oil mist run through it for the last 15 years.
I run a separate line for air only no oil.

Originally Posted by Trav
Whats the problem blowing oil mist through air lines that are only used on air tools? I have a Goodyear air hose that has had oil mist run through it for the last 15 years.
I run a separate line for air only no oil.

Probably nothing wrong with oil mist blowing all of the time, but I wouldn't want to be getting into the room air, and putting down a fine film of oil everywhere. I worked maintenance in a diesel engine factory, and we had three 500 horsepower compressors, and many miles of air lines everywhere in a million square foot building. They only used oilers as needed a the point of use. And, they were usually empty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back