Good, affordable inch pound torque wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently I have a very basic Proto brand 1/4in drive click-type torque wrench with a 200in-lb range. Its a fixed head which does not ratchet, the numbers are very hard to read and its in need of recalibrating. Is there any affordable 1/4 inch torque wrenches that would be a better alternative than shipping this one out for calibration? I hate to spend $45 plus shipping just to get back the same wrench that I hate. The only brand that really caught my attention was the Tekton- I believe they are still Chinese made but other tools I've bought of that brand have been nice quality.

I have inch pound and foot pound Tekton torque wrenches as well as impact sockets and ratchets from them. I definitely recommend for the price

Originally Posted by E365
Zero complaints with my 1/4" and 3/8" Tekton torque wrenches. ðŸ‘ðŸ»

I have a tekton clicker wrench. But for rod bolts and main bearing bolts i tend to trust this more.

My next torque wrench , i will spent a bit for this.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Instruments-PREC3FR250F-Silver-Torque/dp/B002XMSFIM/ref=sr_1_4?crid=24G0GQCQSUE2T&keywords=precision+torque+wrench&qid=1578847362&sprefix=precision+tor%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-4

IMG_20200112_114155926.jpg

Last edited:
I have the wheeler engineering torque wrench....it's in inch pounds and has worked very well for all the riflescope rings etc I have used it on.

Originally Posted by mattd
What will it be used for?

Small fasteners
wink.gif
Seriously though, it varies from bicycle parts (many are lightweight alloys) to firearms to automotive. I'm going to shy away from the HF wrenches, though the ones I've had in the past were good enough for use on my older cars back then. How is the Husky? Assuming its another made in china? How is the calibration out of the box?

Also, thoughts on 10-150 vs 20-200 in lb range?

I just bought a snap on 3/8 drive click type 40-200 inch lbs for upgrade my old craftsman. I use it to build engines and transmissions, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buck91
Originally Posted by mattd
What will it be used for?

Small fasteners
wink.gif
Seriously though, it varies from bicycle parts (many are lightweight alloys) to firearms to automotive. I'm going to shy away from the HF wrenches, though the ones I've had in the past were good enough for use on my older cars back then. How is the Husky? Assuming its another made in china? How is the calibration out of the box?

Also, thoughts on 10-150 vs 20-200 in lb range?

Husky is an old American tool company. HD must have bought the name some years ago. The torque wrenches were made in USA but a couple years or so ago switched to made in China. Quality is the same. I just bought the 1/2 in, and have the USA made 3/8. First they are better than the usual 4% ones, being 3%. They come with a calibration certificate. Mine are within 1 ft lb over the whole range. Comes with a case. Comes with a lifetime no question no receipt needed warranty. from HD. That's hard to beat.

Tekton makes very decent sockets and wrenches for the home mechanic. Not sure about their torque wrenches, but their stuff is generally quite decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back