Home

Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches

Posted By: Trav

Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/02/18 09:01 PM

I grabbed these on Amazon.de under $150 on the door. These are shorter than the standard Hazet and US wrenches, perfect for cramped spaces.
The quality is fantastic, no plating, blasted finish, nothing on these just a great feel from the perfectly made special tool steel alloy, they are much thinner than even the Hazets.

Attached picture IMG_0472.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0473.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0474.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0475.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0476.JPG
Posted By: Zee09

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/02/18 09:28 PM

Where in Germany are they made?
Posted By: eljefino

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/03/18 01:55 AM

I like the thin walls on the box ends.
Posted By: Silk

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/03/18 08:19 AM

I still have some of those left. They are very thin, hard on the hands at times...and I have bent some.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/03/18 12:47 PM

For me these are more of a specialty wrench then an everyday go to. My old short "A" pattern wrenches were from Elora which were great but a bit chunky and no flank drive (their version of it), these have it and have a great fit.
I cant see bending one when used as its supposed to be but with cheaters any wrench will bend. These will go where standard wrenches wont.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/04/18 05:23 AM

The ones I have left are my everday go too, and they will bend before any other same quality tool. Not knocking them, but they are sharp, and will bend.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/04/18 11:03 AM

If they do then I will find out and post it. Honestly you are the first person I have heard report this. I used a couple last night and didn't find them sharp at all, how old are the ones you have? These are redesigned with flank drive and smooth sides.
Posted By: Astro14

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/04/18 12:51 PM

Hey Trav - Can't find this precise set on Amazon.de - I've found similar, with 8-19 wrenches, but I like the fact that your set goes up to 24. Not much use for the sizes under 10...but plenty of times when bigger is useful.

Would you have a set # or part number for your set?

Some nice Stahlwille offset ring wrenches on the US Amazon site (Need to see what's in my box at home, think I already have similar, but would like to upgrade) but no Ratschen Ringmaulschlüssel to be found on this side of the pond...

Did you have these shipped to the US?

Thanks,
Astro

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/04/18 02:31 PM

Hey Astro, Part # 96400816 Yes they ship to USA, IIRC it was $7 or $8 and they knock the almost 20% MwSt off this price. They ship Royal Mail and it takes a couple of weeks but it does get here. amazons description is not correct, just ignore it, the part number is for the 16 piece.

https://www.amazon.de/Stahlwille-Maulringschl%C3%BCssel-Satz-16-teilig-Open-Box-96400816/dp/B00N3LSWRG

Ratchet open box rings.

https://www.amazon.de/Stahlwille-Ratschen-Ringmaulschl%C3%BCssel-Rolltasche-Biegefestigkeit/dp/B00LPDNOWW/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1538663548&sr=1-1&keywords=stahlwille+Ratschen+Ringmaulschl%C3%BCssel
Posted By: Astro14

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/04/18 05:03 PM

Perfect! Thank you very much.

Amazon says: "Vielen Dank, Ihre Bestellung wird bearbeitet." - which I take to mean they're on their way...

Cheers,
Astro

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/04/18 06:43 PM

You welcome, did you get the ratchet ones also?

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/05/18 06:12 AM

I have just had a look, and they are Open box 13...but they do date from the '70's when I got them. I also have Hazet from the same period. It's always been known that Stahwille are sharp on the hands....maybe they finally listened to customers.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/05/18 12:03 PM

Yes, they seem to have done just that, they claim skin friendly wrenches and AS drive (their version of flank drive). I am in the same boat as you, tools from the 30 years ago are showing their age along with the lack of features available on modern versions.
Its a little late in the game but I decided to upgrade a lot of them, ratchets, sockets, wrenches with like quality tools.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/05/18 11:46 PM

Well I'm the opposite - this late in the game I'm only updating with cheap stuff, the quality brands I started with are just far too expensive now. Some of the tools made by names I've never heard of before are interesting and were not available to me 40 years ago. Like beer, we didn't have much choice back then, now I enjoy sampling the huge variety available today.
Posted By: Y_K

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/06/18 06:23 AM

I have Karl Walter for thin ones. I find the Stahlwille wrenches surprisingly comfortable in my hand, but your mileage may vary. Satin or black oxy Wright wrenches are the most comfortable in my hand.
Thank you for sharing a decent deal on a decent tool smile

Added: this is a good time of the year for the tool AdventKalendaren as well, they will start soon. Also a good time of the year to play the Prime trial for a month, and your shipping from Germany is going to be affected in a very positive way too.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/07/18 01:45 PM

The Karl Walter were good tools, I had a set of their zinc phosphate coated wrenches, ugly as sin but they are for marine environments and don't rust even near salt water. Their translucent red handled screwdrivers are still going strong after 20+ years.
Buying from Amazon is almost 20% cheaper than buying the stuff there but they don't have or ship everything to the US, for those things I pick them up myself and send/bring them.

The tool company Hoffmann has a lot of made for them only items they don't sell on Amazon or ship to the US, unlike Walmart and HD their made for them tools are not cheapened to a price point they are upgraded to commercial/industrial use.
These screwdrivers from PB Swiss are exclusive to Hoffmann as can be seen by the mark on the handle and part#.

Attached picture IMG_0296.JPG

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/08/18 02:08 AM

Looks like the ratchetting ones are not German made though. Looks like Gedore is the only German made ones.

As a matter of fact Hoffmann has been active in USA for a couple + years now, with huge paper catalogs, reps and all that.
No stores though, mostly industrial business model. Hoffmann USA has its own web site.

TOP FRC-6000 is impressively durable, although smaller in number of sizes and has no direction switch

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/08/18 10:50 AM

I didn't know they were in the US. The store go to is a main warehouse, you go in place the order at the counter, pay the cashier and come back in 3 hrs and pick it up, boxed, billed out, the works. There is no tool showroom, grab off the rack and pay sort of thing, Americans wouldn't like it, it was much worse years ago which was a sit down session.

Gedore being part of Hazet surprises me that they are not farming these out like some of the other slow selling tools that either get cancelled from the program or made for them eg the wire strippers, self grips, oil filter removal fingers, hydraulic nut splitters, etc, their front end tools are Klann and pliers are Knipex.

The stuff they do farm out is done by some of the best in the business for that type of product. I am trying to run down a nut splitter I got a few weeks ago, it is sold by Sykes Pickervant but made in Germany so its not a Sykes made product. It is also sold under the names Bahco, Gedore and Belzer, I suspect Gedore makes it as Hazet also sold it with reverse color scheme. the original Hazet I had is being repaired by Hazet (hydraulic failed after 25 years, frame okay) and has a square shape not round like the newer discontinued model.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/08/18 06:50 PM

25 years of professional use is a great endorsement. Thank you for sharing this

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/09/18 05:19 AM

For me it's over 40 years of professional use, and that's when the quality is just starting to show.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/09/18 01:04 PM

I started in 71 but didn't have all the tools when I started school or even when I finished in 75 it took some years to buy top quality stuff without going into debt on a tool truck.
Most of my stuff has held up very well but I upgraded to newer features (QR and flank drive) not because they were worn out.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/09/18 06:23 PM

I was told that the ratchets in those Stahlwille are made by KABO, they are very durable.

On the driver side of the tool business: if you ever come across Sunflag lines, take a good look and touch. They are on par with PB Swiss. I love both.
In general, Japanese don't bother to market their tools abroad like Germans and Americans. There are a lot of hidden gems there.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/09/18 08:42 PM

I have a set of Vessel 220 ball drivers that are really nice in the hand, not expensive but nice. Nepros makes a nice small head 3/8 ratchet and King Dick from England make some of the best sockets on the market.
Lots of good tools out there but they are not well advertised.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/10/18 01:39 AM

Methinks King Dick is from Taiwan, but it's not important. The 220 series from Vessel is a quality series made in Thailand, and the tool is simply addictive. My Mrs took away a wide slotted one and a stubby to crush walnuts. Another good crusher is a Wera ESD stubby. I bought her this elegant Toyo tool-box where she keeps her tools now. Including excellent and quite affordable Vessel precision set that works with reading glasses.

Correction: I mixed the Kings, that was King Tony. KD was the standard issue with Land Rovers in some years

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/10/18 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Trav
I started in 71 but didn't have all the tools when I started school or even when I finished in 75 it took some years to buy top quality stuff without going into debt on a tool truck.
Most of my stuff has held up very well but I upgraded to newer features (QR and flank drive) not because they were worn out.

I started my apprenticeship in 1970, and built up a good collection of bits and pieces, but had most of my tools stolen in 1977, and then again in 1979. The 2nd time I worked late, and rather than being my usual tidy self, just walked out the door. They just grabbed my concertina box and took it. Both times rather than replace individual items, I just got full sets replaced. So most of my replacement Stahlwille from the first time were gone, apart from what was on the bench, the Hazet stuff is the 2nd replacent gear.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/10/18 10:57 AM

Stealing someones tools they use to make a living has to be one of the lowest things you can do to someone, it really makes you loose sleep and eat you guts out.
I hope you got some compensation and the tools replaced in full.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/10/18 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Y_K
Methinks King Dick is from Taiwan, but it's not important. The 220 series from Vessel is a quality series made in Thailand, and the tool is simply addictive. My Mrs took away a wide slotted one and a stubby to crush walnuts. Another good crusher is a Wera ESD stubby. I bought her this elegant Toyo tool-box where she keeps her tools now. Including excellent and quite affordable Vessel precision set that works with reading glasses.

Correction: I mixed the Kings, that was King Tony. KD was the standard issue with Land Rovers in some years

Vessel has a nice multi blade set made in Japan for cheap, nice fitting tips and magnetic. I have one in every vehicle and one in the house, they come in real handy.
I like that small tool box for the house.

Check this out, it is really a worthwhile tool for under $16 on the door.

Vessel multi

Edit: The plastic case is reusable and an easy way to keep them together.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/10/18 03:16 PM

Thank you. The same thing: it's everywhere in my case as well. Here it is from Jeff.

There is also Vessel 2200 Ratcheting Driver - yet anothe money separation triggerr

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/10/18 03:48 PM

Yep another tool to buy. LOL I don't remember what I own anymore. Last week it was this thing..

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-81270-Drive-Gimbal-Ratchet/dp/B00HDSSJKU

I cant say if its worthwhile or not yet.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/10/18 03:55 PM

Ratchets by Tone next? Very compact and have QR smile

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/10/18 08:53 PM

No QR on these. It does seem well made and gives a good grip for what it is. Who knows it might come in handy
Posted By: clinebarger

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/11/18 03:00 AM

Stealing someones tools they use to make a living has to be one of the lowest things you can do to someone, it really makes you loose sleep and eat you guts out.
I hope you got some compensation and the tools replaced in full.

And a very good reason to insure your tools!!

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/11/18 11:34 AM

Now you said that I checked my policy and they are insured. I take pictures of every tool I buy and catalog it just in case.

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/12/18 05:29 AM

The employeer covers our tools, but what concerns me is that any replacements won't be of the quality of my original stuff. I'm still a bit annoyed that when my Warren & Brown 3/8 torque wrench was stolen 35 years ago, it was replaced with a Norbar, now Norbar is top of the line.
Posted By: demarpaint

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/12/18 10:14 AM

Every time I read these threads it costs me money....
Posted By: JHZR2

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/20/18 06:17 PM

You welcome, did you get the ratchet ones also?

Are the ratchet ones as thin? I had some issues with some 17mm nuts recently because I couldn’t get a thin enough wrench on the lower nut to loosen the top locking but. Didn’t wish to grind down any of my wrenches. Finally found a 17mm flat wrench from a Bosch tool.

I prefer ratcheting box ends, but want thin.

Thanks!

Re: Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches - 10/21/18 01:55 AM

The open end is the same but the ratcheting box is slightly thicker
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy