Home

Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future?

Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar

Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 05/23/18 06:07 PM

I saw Craftsman starting to show up in Lowe’s and on the website. Is Kobalt going away? I see no reason why they would want to compete with each other. They go after the same market and for a long time we’re in direct competition. Warranty will be a hassle for Kobalt if so. Maybe they will do a Kobalt Craftsman exchange like HD did with Husky.
Posted By: tmorris1

Re: Craftsman now army Lowe’s Kobalt has no future? - 05/23/18 06:14 PM

I bought some Kobalt pliers and adjustable wrenched and they were pretty junky.
Posted By: Gimpy1

Re: Craftsman now army Lowe’s Kobalt has no future? - 05/23/18 06:19 PM

I wonder what will happen with the Craftsman club, I have a ton of points.
Posted By: JLawrence08648

Re: Craftsman now army Lowe’s Kobalt has no future? - 05/23/18 06:21 PM

The tool dept at Sears is both sad and dead. They carry nothing. I'm going to Lowe's for Craftsman warranty exchanges. When I need tools I was debating between GearWrench which is available, Husky at Home Depot, and Kobalt at Lowe's. I settled on GearWrench from internet, Ace, and AAP, and Husky.

Re: Craftsman now army Lowe’s Kobalt has no future? - 05/23/18 06:31 PM

Fixed the title. Autocorrect got me again. I hope Lowe’s does good things with Craftsman. Sears ran them into the ground. Display is horrible and so is quality on a lot of it.
Posted By: Chris142

Re: Craftsman now army Lowe’s Kobalt has no future? - 05/23/18 06:32 PM

From what I have seen the kobalt stuff is better than Craftsman
Posted By: Donald

Re: Craftsman now army Lowe’s Kobalt has no future? - 05/23/18 06:32 PM

How about Wright Tools? A step up from Craftsman, Husky or Kobalt.

An article said Sears sold the Craftsman brand to Black & Decker for $500m. Sears was selling about $1B worth of Craftsman tools a year. Lowes is coming out with Craftsman tools about 6 months before expected.

The net is Sears got $500M in cash in 2017, but will loose much of a $1B tool sales in 2018 and from now on.

Sears needs to just say uncle and liquidate. Why drag it on until there is one store left and then that needs to close?
Posted By: maxdustington

Re: Craftsman now army Lowe’s Kobalt has no future? - 05/23/18 07:00 PM

Stanley is gearing up to return Craftsman to being a mid-tier made in USA brand. I guess they will be similar to SK but with better marketing and shelf space in big box stores.

I can't wait!
Posted By: RamFan

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 05/23/18 07:14 PM

I don't have much, but the small amount of Kobalt tools I do own have held up really well. I don't get the fuss over the brand on here.
Posted By: demarpaint

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 05/23/18 07:17 PM

Good it will be another place to have tools with a lifetime warranty replaced when Sears goes belly up. Now it will be Lowes and ACE Hardware around here.
Posted By: racin4ds

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 05/23/18 08:12 PM

Kobalt and Craftsman are likely made at the same place anyway... there are only a few tool foundrys in the US...
Posted By: dlundblad

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 05/23/18 08:29 PM

I also think Kobalt is better than Craftsman

Some relabled US Cman stuff such as the pry bars are absolutely awesome. It'll be interesting to see what happens there. I'll still be sad when Sears is no more..

The Cman warranty means nothing to me though since all they have now is chunkier Chinese stuff. No thanks. (I have 1 Chinese 3/8 breaker bar and a cheap ~160 pc set I bought for $45 for junkyarding, which are expendable.)

I try not to beat on my nice stuff too much as they were a Christmas gift with my name laser etched on them, but as they break, they will be replaced with either Hazet, SK or SO.
Posted By: maxdustington

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 05/23/18 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Some relabled US Cman stuff such as the pry bars are absolutely awesome. It'll be interesting to see what happens there.

OEM is Mayhew

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 05/23/18 08:48 PM

I agree, I like Kobalt better than Craftsman for some things. I hate both brands screwdrivers handles. Is Lowe’s going to keep and warranty both brands at the same time? If so good. I want Craftsman to improve! I prefer to buy Snap on or blue point for my most often used tools. I wish that could change

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 05/23/18 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Some relabled US Cman stuff such as the pry bars are absolutely awesome. It'll be interesting to see what happens there.

OEM is Mayhew

They make awesome stuff. I was able to get both my sets for around $12 each with local pickup.
Posted By: NHGUY

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 05/23/18 09:17 PM

Jimmie Johnson made his money shilling for Lowes and Kobalt tools...I'm sure he will shed no tear if it goes away.
Posted By: NYEngineer

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 05/23/18 11:40 PM

Great. So now when I go to Lowes for an outlet cover or a toilet float I'll spend 45 minutes looking at tools.
Posted By: cos

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 05/23/18 11:57 PM

Over the past few yrs I purchased a Kobalt 1/2" torque wrench and a 3/8" socket set - excellent quality.
Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 05/24/18 12:31 AM

This is BAD NEWS! Lowes sales practices ZONE PRICING, and Menards are beating the [censored] out of 'em!

Lowe's always jacks the prices to make their contractor discount look good. I shop at Menards.

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 05/24/18 03:41 AM

Isn’t zone pricing difficult when prices are available online? You can check the prices are many stores quickly. I don’t see much variance except clearance obviously.
Posted By: troutfisher

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 05/24/18 06:48 AM

Lowe’s has gotten so expensive,I do not shop there,Back in 2005 I could buy a 4x36 sanding belt for $3.99

Now it’s $11.99,and they only have high end gator grip brand.Also most of there hardware is overpriced and cheaply made.

My local 84 lumber is very well stocked and Awesome customer service.much better prices on sand paper and materials As for craftsman and kobolt,all overpriced expect for gear wrench

I go to harbor freight for most hand tools sockets and if it breaks,they go back

Re: Craftsman now army Lowe’s Kobalt has no future? - 05/31/18 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald
How about Wright Tools? A step up from Craftsman, Husky or Kobalt.

An article said Sears sold the Craftsman brand to Black & Decker for $500m. Sears was selling about $1B worth of Craftsman tools a year. Lowes is coming out with Craftsman tools about 6 months before expected.

The net is Sears got $500M in cash in 2017, but will loose much of a $1B tool sales in 2018 and from now on.

Sears needs to just say uncle and liquidate. Why drag it on until there is one store left and then that needs to close?

I think Sears is still going to sell Craftsman from what I read even though they sold it. At least until Sears goes T*ts Up!

Re: Craftsman now army Lowe’s Kobalt has no future? - 05/31/18 03:49 PM

Here is an article about tool manufacturers

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gear/a28359/megabrands-tools-graphic/

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 06/04/18 01:00 PM

I called Lowe's Corporate, I was told they will not be doing an exchange for Craftsman tools as Home Depot is no longer doing that.

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 06/05/18 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
I called Lowe's Corporate, I was told they will not be doing an exchange for Craftsman tools as Home Depot is no longer doing that.

Home Depot carried Craftsman tools?

By exchange, do you mean for the warranty?

Re: Craftsman now at Lowe’s , Kobalt no future? - 06/05/18 01:55 AM

No. A few years ago Home Depot was offering an exchange of their equivalent Husky tool for a Craftsman tool. I did not take advantage of it because of the number of Sears stores, their warranty, ease of return and exchange. My mistake.

The first ratchet set I bought was Husky, in 1968. I still have pieces of that today!
Posted By: zzyzzx

Re: Craftsman now army Lowe’s Kobalt has no future? - 06/05/18 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Stanley is gearing up to return Craftsman to being a mid-tier made in USA brand. I guess they will be similar to SK but with better marketing and shelf space in big box stores.

I can't wait!

My Craftsman hand tools are vintage 80's made by Stanley, and yes they are good.
Posted By: hatt

Re: Craftsman now army Lowe’s Kobalt has no future? - 06/05/18 08:23 PM

I noticed the Lowes Craftsman tools were made in China.
Posted By: Delta

Re: Craftsman now army Lowe’s Kobalt has no future? - 06/05/18 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: hatt

Pretty much all Craftsman tools are made in China now, either it being in Sears, Ace, or Lowe's. I recently broke the tip off one of my old Craftsman flat head screwdrivers. I reluctantly (because it was my late grandfathers, but it was of no use without the tip) exchanged it at Sears. Made in China of course; it won't last like the old one.
Posted By: hatt

Re: Craftsman now army Lowe’s Kobalt has no future? - 06/05/18 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: hatt

Pretty much all Craftsman tools are made in China now, either it being in Sears, Ace, or Lowe's. I recently broke the tip off one of my old Craftsman flat head screwdrivers. I reluctantly (because it was my late grandfathers, but it was of no use without the tip) exchanged it at Sears. Made in China of course; it won't last like the old one.
To be honest, Craftsman screwdrivers have been brittle junk for a long time. Long before China. There's no comparison between my dad's old screwdrivers and ones I bought in the mid 90s or later.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy