Lubing your Ratchets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So while in a quest to find use for one of the Super Lube grease which I have, ended up here :

Two of my ratchets 3/8 and 1/4 are sticking slightly and they are stanley made. I soaked them in ATF cup for almost 24 hrs and they are better, maybe need some greasing?

How often do you guys lube/grease ratchets and is ATF enough? Is greasing/lubing needed or an overkill?

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

The old timer I used to work with at an antique repair shop used to soak his ratchets overnight in clean motor out every once in a while, upside down so he only needed a few ounces. All of my snap ons say do not lubricate.

I've found that white lithium grease works well ... not too thin, not too thick.

I use to pack the heads of mine with Motorcraft dielectric grease/brake caliper grease if they were serviceable. I used mostly non serviceable ratchets after my first few years as a tech.

I use the Superlube on Snap-on ratchets mainly because it's the only lube I've used that doesn't swell the seals up. I've had to buy rebuild kits just for the seals after subjecting them to alternative lubes that cause them to swell. With non-sealed ratchets, I prefer the Permatex engine assembly lube.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I have been putting the ratchet heads in a small cut down jug of ATF every weekend for decades, it keeps them clean and lubricates them well. Just let them sit on a couple of paper towels when you remove them and wipe them off, that's it.
The only one I don't put in there is the Snap-On dual 80 with a sealed head. Some manual transmissions use ATF in place of MTF and it manages to keep the gears and internals properly lubed.

I am going to try this. I have craftsman and blackhawk ratchts.

I usually put a drop or 2 of airtool oil in my ratchets and ratcheting wrecnhes maybe 2wice a year. Always a little smoother after

Thanks all, I have tried ATF but mechanism was still not smooth. It was definitely better, so I pulled them apart and lubed them with super lube.

They are very smooth and feels like brand new
smile.gif

BTW, I wasn't able to remove small gear not sure if there's a trick for it? If anyone knows, it's Stanley 91-929 CRV?

Thanks for the help.

I bought a Snap-on knockoff at Auto Zone. Opened it up, trimmed the spring a little bit, lubed it. It's no smoother than my Harbor Freights. I'd soak in ATF if it was sticky but wouldn't touch it if it's working fine.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I lube mine. Have only one snap-On ratchet. It gets lubed just like the others. Fine tooth and about 30 odd years of use
smile.gif

When gainfully employeed I wore out or broke my Snap On Ratchets.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Trav

I have been putting the ratchet heads in a small cut down jug of ATF every weekend for decades, it keeps them clean and lubricates them well. Just let them sit on a couple of paper towels when you remove them and wipe them off, that's it.
The only one I don't put in there is the Snap-On dual 80 with a sealed head. Some manual transmissions use ATF in place of MTF and it manages to keep the gears and internals properly lubed.

I am going to try this. I have craftsman and blackhawk ratchts.

It works slicker than Sh.. through a tin horn.

I'm into bicycles so I always have Phil Wood Tenacious Oil around. On the rare occasion I feel like one of my sealed Snap On ratchets needs lube, I use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back