Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

I am looking for a 14mm spark plug socket with the following features:

- fits 14mm spark plugs
- 12-pt
- thin-wall
- magnetic
- has a built in 3/8" drive swivel.

The application is for various BMW and Mercedes engines. So far, the CTA #1061 is the closest match to all of the requirements....but unfortunately it is not magnetic.

Thanks!

If the metal will stick to a magnet, just swipe it against a large magnet and it will magnetize itself good enough to hold the plug.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
If the metal will stick to a magnet, just swipe it against a large magnet and it will magnetize itself good enough to hold the plug.

Bingo. Swipe a neodiddlyum magnet against it in the same direction a few times and whammo - magnetic.

Wiha makes a good one for under 10 bucks that I've been using for years. Amazon Link

Although not exactly what you are asking for, my current preference is the spark plug socket on a stick type of thing:

72862161_L_3217e560-c86d-456d-9dda-229857f5e590.jpg

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Thanks for the link.

I will interpret that as meaning the link I provided is totally useless.
It met all the criteria except for the magnet. I hang my head in shame.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
They have one but it's not magnetic. It's rubber gripper retention.
https://store.snapon.com/Universal-3-8-Drive-14-mm-12-Point-Spark-Plug-Socket-P873247.aspx

It has the side hole so you can use a pin-lock extension if you want to.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Thanks for the link.

I will interpret that as meaning the link I provided is totally useless.
It met all the criteria except for the magnet. I hang my head in shame.
frown.gif

Sorry - I missed your link earlier when I was replying to doitmyself's post. That snap on socket is similar to the CTA 1061, but for a lot more money. I am hoping to find something with the magnetic insert built in, and doitmyself's link is the best option to date, but I am hoping to find something that does not have to be imported...but we will see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back