Schumacher BT-100 Battery Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the Schumacher BT-100 battery tester earlier this year. I used it recently to test a 6 year old Motorcraft battery. The CCA on the label stated 590CCA. I measured 800CCA. I did the test a couple of times to make sure that I was reading it correctly. Is this normal?

you didnt test for CCA. because it wasnt 0f out(and the battery 0f)

and yes its makes a large difference.

Quote:

Cranking amps are the numbers of amperes a lead-acid battery at 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12 volt battery).

In other words, CA/cranking amps determine how much power you have to start your car in most climates. The basic job of a battery is to start an engine; it must crank, or rotate the crankshaft while at the same time maintain sufficient voltage to activate the ignition system until the engine fires and maintains rotation. This requirement involves a high discharge rate in amperes for a short period of time.

Since it is more difficult for a battery to deliver power when it is cold, and since the engine requires more power to turn over when it is cold, the Cold Cranking rating is defined as: The number of amperes a lead-acid battery at 0 degrees F (-17.8 degrees C) can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12-volt battery).

In other words, CCA/cold cranking amps determine how much power you have to start your car on cold winter mornings.

Usually there is a user interaction. You enter nameplate CCA and it reads out a value based upon that.

Are you saying you enter nothing and it just runs a test? I don't buy it.

User error.....we guys never read the directions,LOL
spankme2.gif
. The BT-100 is a load tester that only indicates a good/bad condition.

The OP didn't measure 800 CCA. The indicator needle stayed in the green section during the test. The Green section simply denotes good for batteries with a range of CCA rating from 200 to 1000 CCA .

Operators Manual: http://www.batterychargers.com/content/pdf/0099001450-R0.pdf

Those are low end testers and I have been using the likes at work for the past 30 years they work fine for what they are and plenty good to check the battery.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
User error.....we guys never read the directions,LOL
spankme2.gif
. The BT-100 is a load tester that only indicates a good/bad condition.

The OP didn't measure 800 CCA. The indicator needle stayed in the green section during the test. The Green section simply denotes good for batteries with a range of CCA rating from 200 to 1000 CCA .

Operators Manual: http://www.batterychargers.com/content/pdf/0099001450-R0.pdf

You were right. I read the directions and they are now clear. WOW what a difference!

Thank you everyone for your inputs. It was user error. What kind of battery testers are available to actually measure CCA? Before this tester, I used a regular DVM and measured voltages before and during starts. I'm used to testing telecom batteries, where we measure voltages before and after discharge, intercell resistances, and electrolyte levels.

None actually test it. Some correlate an impedance measurement to a user input CCA value, but they are sensitive to temperature and state of charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back