Decent Oil Filter Wrench Nissan Frontier 4 CYL

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil filter location on this truck is horrid and I can barely put my hand/ a band wrench to crack the filter loose. I was going to go with a Lisle 63600 but after seeing the reviews I don't think that it will fit the small filter. Anyone know of one that will fit this filter and be compact enough to fit?

I have a 2017 Frontier and I went to Advance Auto and bought a cheap Autocraft wrench that fits over the end of the filter. I actually bought the filter wrench for my Kawasaki ZX-14R motorcycle but it works for that, on Toyota plastic cartridge filter caps, and my Nissan Frontier perfectly.

The P/N for the wrench is Autocraft AC1093 and was sold under another brand with part number W54118. I like the cap wrench because is has a 3/8" drive opening that allows me to use my torque wrench when installing filters. My Kawasaki and Nissan specify 13 lb/ft of torque and the plastic Toyota caps specify 18 lb/ft.

I believe Nissan relocated the oil filter on the newer trucks because mine sits right on the passenger side of the engine in a fully accessible location. I don't even have to remove the belly pan to do my oil changes.

Thanks for the link! Yeah, I used to have one of the newer trucks and the filter was easily accessible. Now I have this older truck and the filter is a pain to get to.

Quote:
......I was going to go with a Lisle 63600 but after seeing the reviews I don't think that it will fit the small filter.....

Without the year can't say definitively but the two smallest filters that Nissan could use are the 6607/14612 shorty and the 7317/14610. Based on the specs the Lisle 63600 should "fit" either of those filters, both have same diameter. The Lisle cam action states it works for 2-1/2" to 3-1/8" diameter filters which would include the both those filters, and many use that cap wrench.

As an aside AZ sells the similar OEM brand cam action cap wrench with the same size specs for ~$6.

So the 63600 should "fit". That said, depending on access limitation and/or filter orientation it's possible the cam action wrench may not be the best choice.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
......I was going to go with a Lisle 63600 but after seeing the reviews I don't think that it will fit the small filter.....

Without the year can't say definitively but the two smallest filters that Nissan could use are the 6607/14612 shorty and the 7317/14610. Based on the specs the Lisle 63600 should "fit" either of those filters, both have same diameter. The Lisle cam action states it works for 2-1/2" to 3-1/8" diameter filters which would include the both those filters, and many use that cap wrench.

As an aside AZ sells the similar OEM brand cam action cap wrench with the same size specs for ~$6.

So the 63600 should "fit". That said, depending on access limitation and/or filter orientation it's possible the cam action wrench may not be the best choice.

That AZ OEM unit is JUNK! Buy the Lisle - it will fit. Very few filters for cars are larger than 3 1/8".

Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:

That AZ OEM unit is JUNK!.....

That would be in your experience apparently. Otoh IME, the OEM has worked just fine in 7317/14610 applications I've used it for.

Be that as it may as noted depending of filter access and orientation, the cam action cap wrench may not be the best choice.

After much deliberation, I decided to buy the Lisle 61600 64/65mm cap. Looks like it'll fit. I didn't go for the Lisle 63600 because of the multiple reviews that it won't fit a small Honda filter. Since the Nissan filter that I have is close to a Honda filter in size it would be useless to me. This 2002 Nissan Frontier 4 cylinder truck is the only one that I will be using a tool to remove a filter. The filter is 15208-9E01A.

Here's the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AOJAPPC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the same wrench that I had listed in my initial quote. They seem to be sold under several different brand names. Mine has the 65/14 stamped inside and has worked great for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back