Milwaukee M18 fuel impact wrench: super powerful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was browsing in my local Home Depot and came across this beast of a cordless impact wrench.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2763-20
It seems unbelievable. 700 ft-lbs tightening and 1100ft-lbs loosening. That's way more than a corded electric impact wrench, and more than most air powered ones.
It seems too good to be true. Anyone used one of these or have any thoughts about it?

While I've not used one the guys over at GarageJournal swear by it - it is that good. Most of the Milwaukee stuff is top notch and I have that one my list of things to buy.

I suppose you could figure it out backwards...

Hp=torque X rpm/5252 or something along those lines.

A 4Ah battery doing a 20C discharge is doing 80A x say 16V conduction voltage...

That's 1280W. Figure 90% motor efficiency, so like 1100W. So that's like 1.5hp.

What's the rotational speed when it's hammering and making max torque? 5 rpm?

So torque = hp X 5252/rpm = 7878/5= around 1600 ft-lb.

Something like that.

I'm sure it off for a number of reasons, like the hammer impact influence, motor speed, or something like that... And then Im all ears.

But the big determinant is that you can pretty well know the output of the battery, and thus the kW going in. If you opened a pack and found the fuse rating, and figured at max torque the battery is putting out 80% of that current, you're pretty close...

I do own that gun. I couldn't free seized lug boots that required me to stand on the end of a 3' breaker bar, so I'm not convinced it can really do 1100, probably more like 550-600, since me standing on the bar would be like 700ish+.

We use them at work all the time. They are a durable impact but like stated above I don't believe they put out anywhere near 1100 ft-lb.

The batteries are what impress me as much as anything. We consistently use them to bust rusty 3/4" and 7/8" studs loose (1-1/4" and 1-7/16" socket). They perform very well.

how about the similar dewalt model for 279$+tax with battery, charger, and bag.

props to some noob
crackmeup2.gif
on slickdeals for it

www.slickdeals.net/f/8768559-dewalt-dcf8...&p=85229431

in for one! My birthday is coming up.

DEWALT DCF899P1
Brushless motor for superior performance
Heavy-duty impact mechanism with max torque 700 ft./lbs., breakaway torque 1,200 ft./lbs.
3-speed selector switch for control
LED work light
Battery fuel gauge

I have one. There are YouTube videos of it not being able to remove a 19mm Honda crank bolt. Mine took one off with minimal hammering last weekend. Using a standard impact socket too.

I have one also. Works great but the only thing I have used it for is lug nuts and gas tank straps. Haven't really tested it thoroughly yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fsharp
So I was browsing in my local Home Depot and came across this beast of a cordless impact wrench.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2763-20
It seems unbelievable. 700 ft-lbs tightening and 1100ft-lbs loosening. That's way more than a corded electric impact wrench, and more than most air powered ones.
It seems too good to be true. Anyone used one of these or have any thoughts about it?

Its true, I have one. Its a beast. While I have not measured the torque it easily gets rusted lug nuts from trailers and my Bobcat.

It has a low setting also (very low) which I use to tighten the lug nuts. Then go back with torque wrench.

Makes the best sense when you have many M18 tools. There are cheaper places than HomeDepot (no tax also).

Originally Posted By: Rand
how about the similar dewalt model for 279$+tax with battery, charger, and bag.

props to some noob
crackmeup2.gif
on slickdeals for it

www.slickdeals.net/f/8768559-dewalt-dcf8...&p=85229431

in for one! My birthday is coming up.

DEWALT DCF899P1
Brushless motor for superior performance
Heavy-duty impact mechanism with max torque 700 ft./lbs., breakaway torque 1,200 ft./lbs.
3-speed selector switch for control
LED work light
Battery fuel gauge

It somewhat depends upon what other brand tools/batteries you have.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
I have one. There are YouTube videos of it not being able to remove a 19mm Honda crank bolt. Mine took one off with minimal hammering last weekend. Using a standard impact socket too.

Those Honda crank bolts are something else. There are too many DIY articles claiming you only need xx torque to remove it but the reality of it is...it depends.

I helped a friend with a mid 90s 4cyl non VTEC accord do his timing belt job and we had to go with a 3/4" drive cheater bar because everything 1/2" drive we used ended up bent or snapped.

I believe there is a YouTube video showing removal of one of the crank bolts and the guy had to build a custom "overkill" socket since his top of the line IR air impact wasn't cutting it.

Sounds like a good tool. Too bad I don't have any Milwaukee cordless tools or Dewalt tools for that matter and the price including batteries and such can be a bit of a barrier.

I've got a pneumatic impact wrench that usually does what I need it too, but really needs a bigger air compressor than what I have.

I wish someone would put some effort into a decent corded electric impact wrench. I bet a 10 amp motor would provide at least similar power to this Milwaukee one.

The one I linked included 5Ah battery and charger@279$

now I just need a new drill. my 7 year old 24v from sams club needs a battery that I am not buying.

I can use my impact driver sometimes but not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back