Home

Got A New Flashlight...

Posted By: Warstud

Got A New Flashlight... - 05/29/14 10:55 PM

I collect flashlights... so I'm a little geeked at the moment.
I bought it because you can clip it on to your shirt and work hands free. Plus the end is magnetic so it will hang horizontely and project the light down. Seems pretty bright but will test it out when it gets dark. Got it at Sears for FREE with my SYW points. Lists for $5.99

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Gri...18/product.html
Posted By: DBMaster

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 05/29/14 11:08 PM

I understand. I'm a bit of a flashlightaholic myself. I went crazy when LED models started hitting the market. I end up giving them away as family and friends need them so I am down to "only" about ten at the moment. I have certain favorites, like my Maglite Solitaire with aftermarket LED conversion (don't think Mag ever offered one). It was a useless freebie before the conversion, but is now downright usable.
Posted By: Errtt

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 05/29/14 11:33 PM

Yes... a few dozen LEDs, few chargers and loads of batteries = addicting alright. My last one has reversible clip so I can clip it to the bill of hat and a magnetic base - handy.
LEDs have come a long way, so that's all I have now.
Candlepower has some good reviews.
Posted By: crgstvrs

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 05/29/14 11:48 PM

I haven't looked up anything on these flashlights but I have several in both neon yellow and black. they are bayco nightsticks with dual lights led take three batteries. anyone know anything about them they seem to put out quite a bit of light for their size
Posted By: Vikas

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 05/30/14 02:31 AM

I have never counted total but I suspect they have already crossed the half century mark. Few of them are my favorite depending upon their price and functionality. If they are too expensive, I use them very little but if they are cheap and good, I (ab)use them quite a lot. I have also discovered that good headlamp without hotspot makes great working light for doing almost any type of work in the garage or even inside.
Posted By: HTSS_TR

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/07/14 12:38 AM

I bought 4-5 cheap flashlights(the most expensive one was $9 and cheapest one was $3.50) the last 3-4 months and my wife complaint about "too many flashlights". Your other didn't raise her voice for over "half century" flashlights ?
Posted By: another Todd

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/07/14 03:16 AM

Costco has a two pack of LED flashlights that put out a reported 500 lumens. $25 Aluminum construction, 6 "C" duracell batteries included. I have about 6 of these and they are the brightest flashlights I have and the batteries seem to last forever.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/07/14 04:34 AM

I don't smoke and only drinks I have is occasional beer or wine when we visit friends over the weekend. So I don't have too many avenues to waste money. The boss lets me indulge in small off the book expenses on flashlights and "car stuff"; I am lucky in that sense.

This week alone I ordered three the different colored SK68 (I always liked the black and the silver ones) and bought an EagleEye X2 warm white.

You should try a decent 18650 based light, I think you will get hooked on it. Tell me your budget, I will suggest something which will delight you.

Posted By: Kira

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/07/14 11:05 AM

Hello, I love this thread.
Years ago I had a Ray-O-Vac Workhorse flashlight-2 D cell- Krypton bulb.
It was by far the best light on the camping trip. Everyone kept asking to borrow it. Kira

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/07/14 12:34 PM

Vikas...I have one of those black Ultrafires...it's an awesome little light.
Posted By: HTSS_TR

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/07/14 05:15 PM

I have 2 of these mini Ultrafires that use 1 AA battery or 14500, one with zoom and one with 3 modes. I paid about $3.50 each shipped from China. They are very bright for a small flashlight.
Posted By: Quattro Pete

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/11/16 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I have 2 of these mini Ultrafires that use 1 AA battery or 14500, one with zoom and one with 3 modes. I paid about $3.50 each shipped from China. They are very bright for a small flashlight.

Sorry, I know it's an old thread. I'm not a hardcore flashlight collector, but once in a while the urge comes on to buy one. A few months back I bought something similar to these mini Ultrafires, but Housbell branded. They have zoom and 3 light modes. They are 2 for $8 from Amazon, shipped from US, so you don't have to wait for them to arrive from China. Good little lights.

I also just ordered this Anker LC90 one. It uses a Cree LED XM-L2 chip and comes with an 18650 battery and can be re-charged directly in the body, using the provided mini-USB cable. Although, if you're big into flashlights, you probably already own a standalone 18650 battery charger, so that may not be of much interest.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/11/16 10:58 PM

This is the flashlight that I got few months ago. It is insanely bright and dirt cheap. It washes out a typical car headlight. I harvested few 18650 from old laptop batteries to play with it but later ordered good set of batteries for this light. So before ordering, make sure you have good (Sanyo/Panasonic/Samsung) 4x18650 *protected* batteries and multi-slot charger.

Unfortunately, it is no longer available from the place where I bought it from :-(

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/13/16 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Unfortunately, it is no longer available from the place where I bought it from :-(

How much was it? I see it on Amazon for $21, but it's now the 9x version, not the 7x.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/13/16 11:01 PM

Go for it! I paid $21 at Gearbest.

But be realistic of your expectation. Yes, it will be bright but will not be anywhere near the claimed lumens bright. Also don't expect great heat-sinking and being able to run this light for hours. This is a fun and brag light. If you want this type of output in a name brand light you will most like pay 20-40x the price of this one.

I am always amused when people buy $20 item and expect it to have the quality and durability of $800 item aka HF vs SnapOn. If you are not one of them, you will enjoy this light.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/15/16 01:07 AM

To many flashlights to go through, but main stays are various Olight, Nitecore, Jetbeam, Zebralight, Trunite, Klarus, and Fenix. Was on a kind of flashlight spree for a couple years.
Batteries I like best are 18650 Orbtronic 3400 mAh (basically a Panasonic protected)

I bought & gave away a few cheap $$ Soonfire NS17's which are very close like my Nitecore MH20's. They even came with a decent 18650 battery - everyone has said real good things about them. I'll probably gift some more for stockings next month.

One of the granddaughter's a few weeks back called and told me they had hiked in to some water fall. It got dark and they hiked over an hour back to the vehicle and she called to tell & thank me about how glad and how nice it was to have a couple flashlights I had given her.
Plus she likes her little Nitecore Tube T Series keychain light and little Olight I3E to/from vehicle at work at night. It was nice to hear she puts them to use.
Posted By: kc8adu

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/20/17 02:17 PM

gotta watch these srk clones.
some are quite nice and some are pure junk.
no thermal path to the body from the led mcpcb.
time to read up here
i also strip laptop packs for good 18650.
none of mine are protected.
it helps that i have access to lots of free laptop packs.
just one of the perks to owning a repair shop.
This is the flashlight that I got few months ago. It is insanely bright and dirt cheap. It washes out a typical car headlight. I harvested few 18650 from old laptop batteries to play with it but later ordered good set of batteries for this light. So before ordering, make sure you have good (Sanyo/Panasonic/Samsung) 4x18650 *protected* batteries and multi-slot charger.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/20/17 02:29 PM

I've been on a flashlight buying spree lately. Here are a few recent ones.

JetBeam JET-1 MK. Runs on either one AA or one 14500 Li-Ion battery. 480LM max on Li-Ion.

Anker LC40. Runs on either 3xAAA or one 18650:

Convoy S2+ with a metal clicky:

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/20/17 05:13 PM

Have you yet graduated to neutral or warm tint LEDs?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/20/17 05:23 PM

Have you yet graduated to neutral or warm tint LEDs?

I bought the Convoy S2+ with a more neutral LED, 5000K instead of the standard 6500K. Does that count? smile

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/20/17 10:00 PM

Yes! I bet you will no longer accept the ricer LED tint from your next flashlight. Next time, try warmer tint and see if you prefer it to neutral but not everybody likes warm tint. I am still split on it. I have handful warm lights but not all of them are great. On the other hand, I am happy with all my neutral lights.

That Convoy is an excellent buy

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/20/17 10:08 PM

I've got a Thorfire VG10 on the way. The updated version is supposed to have a much warmer emitter. Got it for $10 from Amazon.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/27/17 03:10 PM

Latest addition. I like the 0.2 lumen moonlight mode on this light.

Posted By: Donald

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/27/17 06:29 PM

If you want a super flashlight, look no further than a Pelican LED Saberlite. Pelican makes high quality products including equipment cases. If you see someone shipping a $6000 camera to Africa, chances are its in a Pelican case.

https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-2010-Sabr...ican+flashlight
Posted By: jcwit

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/27/17 07:37 PM

$114 bucks for a flashlight, ya right!

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/27/17 07:53 PM

Have you priced SureFire? Those are the Snap-Ons of the flashlights.
Posted By: Donald

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/27/17 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: jcwit

Well one thing they are rated for is the ability to turn on and off in an explosive area with no spark. While I am seldom in a coal mine with exosive methane I could be in my boat's bilge with leaking gasoline.

Preventing a spark in a bilge filled with gasoline fumes is as they say "priceless"
Posted By: jacky

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/27/17 11:39 PM

check out fenix flashlights, some use only 1 or 2 aa batteries and are very bright and durable
Posted By: buck91

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/01/17 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I collect flashlights... so I'm a little geeked at the moment.
I bought it because you can clip it on to your shirt and work hands free. Plus the end is magnetic so it will hang horizontely and project the light down. Seems pretty bright but will test it out when it gets dark. Got it at Sears for FREE with my SYW points. Lists for $5.99

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Gri...18/product.html

Haha, me too. I picked up something like that from Menards last year. It is kind of a turd but with fresh batts is super bright. Enjoy!
Posted By: buck91

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/01/17 04:22 AM

First... Yes I already replied.

Second... Clearly you have never relied on a flashlight to save your life. Example one- my fire helmet light. Example twp- my bedside light, which sits next a my means of home defense. Example three... Your choice of SHTF.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/01/17 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: buck91

First... Yes I already replied.

Second... Clearly you have never relied on a flashlight to save your life. Example one- my fire helmet light. Example twp- my bedside light, which sits next a my means of home defense. Example three... Your choice of SHTF.

Nope, your right, never used a flashlight to save my life, at 73 I have many more issues needed to save my life and flashlight are not one of them!

YMMV
Posted By: Silverado12

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/02/17 11:26 AM

Nebo Slyde King Magnetic Work Light

I was at the local NAPA parts store and saw this on display and bought one. This thing is magnetic and slides open to make a really nice work light. Recharges with a micro USB port in the light and a USB plug on the other end that plugs into your computer, car, etc. Charger cord is included and the light uses a built in lithium battery.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/05/17 09:16 PM

Anyone got any cool LED lanterns?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/05/17 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Anyone got any cool LED lanterns?

I have this one >>>>> https://www.amazon.com/Emerson-indoor-ou...8KNPGHV4SH2TYZF

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/06/17 11:49 PM

Neat. What batteries does it run on?

I'm thinking of grabbing this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OW5AK22/ref=cm_sw_r_taa_WtlMyb0779Y1F
Posted By: Rand

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/09/17 08:54 PM

I just got this bushnell for $8.91+ tax at sam's club.
1000 lumen high power
325?

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/bushnell-f...por:product:1:7

runs on 9AA..comes with 9 AA

They are also run in parallel so you could use 3 or 6 batteries.

Haven't tried it yet with my NI-MH batteries.

Great light for under $10 with batteries.
Has decent to good throw, low power is adequate for anything that isnt long distance.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/10/17 02:10 AM

Sounds like a really great deal at that price.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/10/17 10:51 PM

Wow.. this thing is really tiny. Kind of cute actually. Very rugged, too.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/27/17 01:05 AM

Thrunite T10 with neutral white tint...

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/27/17 03:16 PM

Thrunite makes some of the best flashlights but hard to get a good deal on them. how much?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/27/17 03:31 PM

$20 with free shipping from Amazon.

However, so far I am not that impressed. Maybe it's the neutral tint, but the light output in high mode (rated at 252 lumen) seems weaker than my JetBeam Jet-1MK which is rated at 150 lumen. The low/moonlight mode is so low, it's not really usable, IMO. Also, it's supposed to be able to tail stand. Mine seems to wobble a lot. When I put on the included diffuser cap, it tips over.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/27/17 05:30 PM

Is it stainless or titanium or the aluminum? why are you still buying AA lights especially if they are not the smallest ones? I have a 18650 XM emittor light with side switch which is almost the same size as most of the AA light.

Return that $20 back to Amazon and go for this one
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_271697.html

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/27/17 05:42 PM

Is it stainless or titanium or the aluminum?

Alu

Quote:
why are you still buying AA lights especially if they are not the smallest ones?

I wanted an AA light with a long runtime low mode, but this one's low mode is a just a little too low for my liking. smile

Quote:
Return that $20 back to Amazon and go for this one
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_271697.html

Do you own this one? If so, do you have the natural white or cool white version?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/28/17 03:36 AM

I have natural white gray one. It is currently my favorite light. It is tiny and somewhat delicate. I had a DQG AAA which broke. If you want tough as nail light, then you can't have DQG ones!
Most of my new lights are either Neutral or Warm. I can no longer stand cool white any more.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 02/28/17 01:20 PM

I like the neutral white on my Convoy S2+, but the neutral white on this Thrunite T10 is just meh... I'm sending it back.

In general, I like neutral for indoors, but for outdoors I don't mind cool white. Right now I'm looking for an inexpensive 18650 thrower, possibly Convoy C8.
Posted By: EdwardC

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 03/06/17 11:08 PM

I really like my Convoy S2+ lights. I love that you can disable the strobe/SOS modes and it has a proper last mode memory. I've purchased a bunch of cheap ebay lights, most of them are ok, but like was mentioned above, I've grown up to warmer CCT lights. Some of the cheap lights I bought were just pure junk, cold blue white, finicky switches, etc. I still have some cheap ones, but won't be buying any more.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 03/13/17 12:20 PM

s2+ are nice.
got a few extras $8.99 on sale at banggood.
got a bag of 7135 regulators to bump up a few of them.
these can be bought as a empty host to build it yourself to your specs.
but when they suddenly come up ready to go for $8.99 its hard to not grab a bunch.
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I really like my Convoy S2+ lights. I love that you can disable the strobe/SOS modes and it has a proper last mode memory. I've purchased a bunch of cheap ebay lights, most of them are ok, but like was mentioned above, I've grown up to warmer CCT lights. Some of the cheap lights I bought were just pure junk, cold blue white, finicky switches, etc. I still have some cheap ones, but won't be buying any more.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/01/17 07:23 PM

Currently on sale for about $24 with coupon code. Ended up ordering one.
Posted By: Piston_slap

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/06/17 07:48 PM

I bought a few of these for use around the house and car. Build quality seems G+. Really bright, 2 cells last much longer than one and the usual 3 levels of output. Sure, the batteries are probably counterfeit so I ordered real ones off Amazon ($4.50 ea)
Flashlight (LINK)
$9.00 Flashlight, charger, batteries and free shipping!

Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/06/17 08:01 PM

I recently got into using head lamps, have a Black Diamond Storm. Highish output and its great because it's hands free. They have a new one out with even higher output.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/06/17 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Piston_slap
Sure, the batteries are probably counterfeit so I ordered real ones off Amazon ($4.50 ea)

Hopefully you bought protected cells.
Posted By: Rand

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/07/17 01:10 AM

The counterfeit batteries are sometimes just lesser cells relabeled.

Just dont charge them unattended unless its on concrete.

I picked up
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JE329YO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for 8.99 the other day and its got a really nice wide beam (it will focus)

Seems quite nice for $9

The light lasted over an hour on high so battery seems to be not be a dud.

I'd estimate it at 500 lumens.. I dont think its close to the 800 they suggest.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/09/17 12:09 AM

Currently on sale for about $24 with coupon code. Ended up ordering one.

The switch on mine failed within hours of me receiving it. Doing some reading on BLF, this appears to be a common problem and a bad design. Ugh....

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/09/17 10:25 PM

I swear, this switch has a mind of its own. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But when it does, it's a nice little light. Incredibly compact for an 18650 body.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/10/17 01:20 AM

Make sure the bottom is screwed on tight.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/11/17 08:17 PM

+1 about the bottom
But as I said before, it is little finnicky. Changing brightness levels while on is game of chance. I use it on low and if I want more, it is straight turbo time by double clicking!
Posted By: Trav

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/11/17 08:39 PM

I got 2 Duracell 3C cell LED flashlights from Cosco on the cheap a few years ago, they are still holding up well and the batteries last a long time, no complaints.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/11/17 09:53 PM

Changing brightness levels while on is game of chance.

That actually works pretty well for me. Once the light is on, just hold down the switch button and it'll keep cycling through the 3 modes until you let go.

if I want more, it is straight turbo time by double clicking!

Sadly, it only stays in turbo mode for 1 minute. But being so small, I guess it would overheat if turbo time was not limited.

I do like the low mode - decently bright and will run for a very long time. It also works well as a lantern when you throw a diffuser cap on top.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/07/17 01:41 PM

Ugh... the flashlight bug bit again... I ordered a JetBeam EC-R26. With the currently available coupon code, it was significantly less than other similar lights.

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_364583.html

I was looking for a very compact 18650 light that includes a built-in charger so that I don't have to carry a Li-Ion charger or spare batteries with me when going on longer trips. This R26 isn't as small as DQG Tiny obviously, but still very small compared to my Anker LC90 with built-in charger.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/07/17 03:54 PM

$40 after coupon? Jetbeam makes great lights.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/07/17 03:55 PM

$27 after coupon.

I paid a couple of bucks extra for expedited shipping so that I don't have to wait a month to get it. smile
Posted By: bubbatime

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/11/17 03:17 AM

I added up all my flashlights and found I have over $2000 in flashlights, approaching $3000.

I got rid of the Chinese junk and kept the good Chinese and American lights though.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/11/17 04:48 AM

bubba, what are some of your nicer lights?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/11/17 12:12 PM

bubba, what are some of your nicer lights?

Elzetta and Malkoff.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/11/17 06:20 PM

A picture I posted on another forum a while back... this isn't all of them either. I like flashlights.

Just the bottom five flashlights will set you back about $800.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/11/17 07:42 PM

Nice collection! cheers

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/11/17 09:43 PM

cpf
blf
its easy to get sucked in.
btw just 1 of mine regularly sells for $1000
hang on to your wallet.
i find myself on blf more often now.
not moderated with an iron fist like cpf.
Posted By: Leo99

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/12/17 12:58 AM

And my wife thinks I'm a flashlight kook. I have a few cheapies and a couple step up cheapies that are "custom" made in China for like $15 each. Very nice flashlights for the money. Takes about 2-3 weeks for delivery. Wish I could remember the name of the webpage.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/12/17 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
cpf
blf
its easy to get sucked in.
btw just 1 of mine regularly sells for $1000

Apparently the 'b' in blf somehow went right out the window. LOL
Posted By: spackard

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/12/17 01:12 PM

No Zebralights though. I'm guessing you like something that can be mounted to a firearm, or has a simple user interface for high-stress situations.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/15/17 11:37 PM

Posted By: edwardh1

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/25/17 06:37 PM

is there a mag lite replacement? 2 aa, twist on and off?
all my maglites are failing

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/25/17 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
is there a mag lite replacement? 2 aa, twist on and off?
all my maglites are failing

Look at Nitecore MT2A or JetBeam BA20.

Also, the mini Maglite 2AA only puts out 97 lumen. A single AA JetBeam Jet-1 MK has a higher output and is a twistie, too. Of course, it won't last as long on max.

Posted By: Woody71

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/29/17 02:16 AM

Here I thought I'd bought my last illumination tool 8 years ago. My go to is the Fenix LD01 (now the LD02. The LD LD20 gets a good amount of use as well. 10 years ago I bought a 18 oz can of Nyogel 760G for $60 and I still have 90% of the can. Great stuff, perfect for torch threads and many other uses.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/24/17 02:06 AM

AAA light twistie...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZN0VHX/ref%3Dox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A4DI0C83URB3Z&psc=1

$5 with promo code 59OFF2SD and free shipping if you have Prime.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/28/17 01:08 PM

dont even bother.
the one my neighbor had is a flickering tempermental piece of junk.
for the price one can get a convoy s2+ which is a very nice unit in this price range.
its track record is perfect over 100+ units i have ordered in for those i work with.
you just have to get used to using 18650 li-ion.
very cheap to run(rechargeable) and are quickly becoming the new standard in flashlight batteries.
these are the last word in budget everyday use lights.
and you can reprogram its behavior to your needs.
AAA light twistie...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZN0VHX/ref%3Dox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A4DI0C83URB3Z&psc=1

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/28/17 01:38 PM

dont even bother.
the one my neighbor had is a flickering tempermental piece of junk.
for the price one can get a convoy s2+ which is a very nice unit in this price range.

Agree on the S2+. It's a great light. If you scroll back a few pages, you'll see I actually have one. smile

I just wanted a cheap/small AAA light to throw in my car. At $5, I won't be too upset if it ends up being junk, but people on BLF seem to like it.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/28/17 02:17 PM

With the recent photobucket fiasco, none of my images in this thread are showing anymore.

Here is my S2+ next to Jetbeam R26 and DQG Tiny 4th. The DQG really is an impressive little light.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/28/17 02:55 PM

If somebody does not know, all three lights take single 18650. When you realize that DQG has side clicky in such a short profile light, you will amazed.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/28/17 05:15 PM

This is an interesting light...

It's a 2x26650 / 2x18650 zoomie pushing ~2000 lumens and claims 1000 meter throw, and can be had for about $40 if you wait for a deal.

I'm not in any way affiliated with this company, but they seem to have some interesting lights in their offering, slated somewhere between low end and high end products.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/28/17 08:20 PM

AAA light twistie...

Got it today. This thing is tiny and only weighs 9 gram (0.3 oz) without battery. The UI is simple and for such a small size, it puts out decent amount of light. Beam is very wide, but to be expected from such a small reflector. For $5, I have absolutely no complaints. I should have bought two.

Posted By: TMoto

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/29/17 02:35 AM

I can't say that flashlights will turn into a hobby but I've gradually been replacing my older flashlights. I'll still keep my 3D cell Maglite I've had for 30 years though, can't seem to part with it.

The first one that introduced me to a decent modern LED light was a freebie from a vendor at work. It's a Nebo Slyde with a magnet on the handle. I had no idea a flashlight could be so bright and clear.

Next was a Fenix HL23 headlamp, super handy when working on something and need to free up a hand.

Then I bought an Anker LC90, I like this one quite a bit with it's different modes.

I recently purchased a Nitecore i2 charger and Nitecore MT2C flashlight. Just got it so haven't used it much yet. Not as bright as the Anker but seems well made.

Thanks for all the info guys, who knows what I'll buy next. I looked at the Elzetta web site, nice modular flashlights. It's nice that you can configure the light to fit your needs but a bit pricey for my uses.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/29/17 06:18 AM

please post back how it holds up.
its possible to get a dud in anything but even more likely in a $5 item.
my neighbor insisted on sending his back before i got a chance to check it for something minor like a loose retainer ring,ect.
he had 4 of them and all were flakey in some way.
and that dqg tiny is nice.
almost got one on a flash sale but they sold out.
AAA light twistie...

Got it today. This thing is tiny and only weighs 9 gram (0.3 oz) without battery. The UI is simple and for such a small size, it puts out decent amount of light. Beam is very wide, but to be expected from such a small reflector. For $5, I have absolutely no complaints. I should have bought two.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/01/17 02:19 AM

If somebody does not know, all three lights take single 18650. When you realize that DQG has side clicky in such a short profile light, you will amazed.

Did you see the DQG Tiny 26650? 2500lm, and still very small. But I don't own any 26650 batteries...

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_598992.html?lkid=11009714

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/03/17 10:30 PM

I'm amazed at the $60 dollar price tag.

And we go out of our way to find the best price on synthetic oil, priorites, priorties.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/03/17 11:40 PM

And we go out of our way to find the best price on synthetic oil, priorites, priorties.

Just like there are coupons for oil, there are coupons for these flashlights, too. smile This one is about $40 after coupon.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/04/17 12:58 AM

ahh just jump right in.
this one is not $40 though.
you only live once....
meteor

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/04/17 01:27 AM

ahh just jump right in.
this one is not $40 though.
you only live once....
meteor

Haha, yup. That's one heck of a light. Did you see the Utorch u3 on BLF? 9000 lumen. Should be available soon for about $65.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/04/17 02:07 AM

Just like there are coupons for oil, there are coupons for these flashlights, too. smile This one is about $40 after coupon.

$40 bucks? LOL

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/04/17 08:04 PM

$40 bucks? LOL

I take it you're not a flashaholic then? smile

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/04/17 08:39 PM

$40 bucks? LOL

I take it you're not a flashaholic then? smile

Not really!

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/05/17 01:15 AM

But you have been following this topic quite religiously; are you sure you are not latent one?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/05/17 10:29 PM

Positive!

A flashlights purpose is to provide light where there is none, even the free ones I get at HF does that just fine.

Any flashlight that costs more than 20/30 bucks is nothing xhort of a ripoff, how ever it is not my funds.

Thank God those here do not purchase material for the military.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/06/17 12:22 AM

price the surefire,streamlight,ect our military uses and then tell me the lights suggested here are a ripoff.
price is a low priority when ones life or the lives of the whole group depend on it working.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/06/17 01:37 AM

A flashlights purpose is to provide light where there is none, even the free ones I get at HF does that just fine.

But at a very short distance and/or area. Alas, if they meet your needs, that's great.

Quote:
Any flashlight that costs more than 20/30 bucks is nothing xhort of a ripoff,
curious how you arrived at this price limit.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/06/17 02:41 PM

curious how you arrived at this price limit.
[/quote]

Might have something to do with being in purchasing since the age of 14 and being director of purchasing for the largest RV company in the U.S. Suppope??

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/07/17 08:36 PM

Well, now that we officially have Pop Rivet's position open, I see that we have an applicant here to take his place. Should we hire him ??

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/07/17 08:44 PM

Might have something to do with being in purchasing since the age of 14 and being director of purchasing for the largest RV company in the U.S. Suppope??

OK, but what are your purchasing criteria? If your only requirement is that it "provides light," then you should just buy a box of matches. smile

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/07/17 08:59 PM

Well, now that we officially have Pop Rivet's position open, I see that we have an applicant here to take his place. Should we hire him ??

LOL! Somebody's gotta fill the void... smile

Have you bought any lights lately? I've got my first multi-18650 light on the way, but I'm still curious if that Utorch UT03 actually gets off the ground.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/08/17 04:42 PM

Nah, that DQG has kept me satisfied so far

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/08/17 09:16 PM

No you should not as I' fully retired at 74 and furthermore dying of cancer.

Still want me????????????????????????????

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/08/17 09:23 PM

OK, but what are your purchasing criteria? If your only requirement is that it "provides light," then you should just buy a box of matches. smile

Please read my latest post, might explain things to a closed mind!

No reason to overthink things.

Little reason to put a 1,000 lb hitch with sway control on a camper only needing a 750 lb. hitch.

Now a box of matches shows just how ridiculous your thinking is.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/08/17 09:25 PM

How far up the corporate ladder did you get?

Just asking!

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/08/17 10:21 PM

What does climbing corporate ladders have to do with buying flashlights as a hobby? shrug
Posted By: Y_K

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/08/17 11:14 PM

personal attacks took place of merit arguments

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/08/17 11:31 PM

What does climbing corporate ladders have to do with buying flashlights as a hobby? shrug

No idea! I buy flashlights as a tool, not as a hobby!

Now flashlight batteries????? Whole different ballgame! LOL

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/13/17 12:10 AM

Latest arrival... love the finish on this one, but I've gotta stop this shopping spree before wife starts asking questions...

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/13/17 12:43 AM

QP...that thing is [email protected] 2500 Lumens & 800 meter throw distance.

Here's a review of it >>>>

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/14/17 01:46 AM

Wow, I want it but (un)fortunately, I missed the group buy! Can you put it against DQG and take a picture?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/14/17 03:09 AM

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/14/17 04:39 PM

just scored one in black.
secondhand from someone who thinks its too heavy.
i will take it for $35 shipped.weight means better mass for heat conduction.
look up the supfire m6 and note design similarities.
same oem?
btw the m6 is a great light.i have several and so do my friends.
m6 at mountain

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/14/17 07:48 PM

With 3 cells loaded, it is pretty heavy... about 1 lb. Although you can run it on fewer than 3 cells at the expense of run time.

Also, the 800 meter throw rating is not realistic, but it's still a fun light.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/09/17 12:58 AM

Some recent purchases... as you can see I'm in need of professional help at this point...

S2+ Desert Tan, next to my old S2+:

OTR M3:

Next to DQG Tiny...

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/09/17 03:06 PM

Quote:
you can see I'm in need of professional help at this point...

Now that you purchased a 16340 light, YES, you absolutely do!!

Seriously, that is not the best form factor in terms of energy density. As you can see the the DQG tiny gives you triple the battery density for slightly larger total overall volume. For keychain lights, you should go even small form factor. There used to be boutique light based upon half of the 16340 battery. I do not remember but they were cute and EXPENSIVE so I never pulled the trigger.

All in all, flashlight as hobby is lot cheaper than some of the other ones. So enjoy it and try to hide them from your wife just in case :-)

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/09/17 03:48 PM

Seriously, that is not the best form factor in terms of energy density. As you can see the the DQG tiny gives you triple the battery density for slightly larger total overall volume.

I know. I wanted something lighter that could attach to the visor of a baseball cap during my nighttime walks. I tried the DQG and it was just too heavy, so that's why I ended up with the M3. It has the 5C warm tint, which I really like, too. On mid mode (300 lumen), I can get a little over 1 hr runtime, which is enough for my needs.
Posted By: Pajero

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/10/17 01:58 AM

Hello, do you have an Elzetta light? They are bad [email protected]@. Will survive a shotgun blast, but are expensive. I love the fact that they are modular. Modular is our future!

Many blessings!

Pajero
Posted By: wrcsixeight

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/10/17 02:50 AM

I always have a flashlight and a headlamp nearby.

The headlamp was grabbed about 85% of the time.

Until recently I used a NItecore HC50. these use a Lithium 18650 battery button top.
Recently, and after a LOT of use, this light became unreliable, in that it woudl dim to near useless levels whenever it dang well decided. Sometimes works perfectly for a few days, then cuts out.

So I have been shopping.

No I do not 2300 Lumens, 99.98% of the time, but it is neat to have available, if the battery still can support that much load

it quickly gets hot and steps down to 700 Lumnes but can maintian this level for longer than I have required, so far.

It has this magnetic tailcap for USB charging. i was not really into this feature, when reading about it, but it is convenient no not have to unscrew tailcap to replace battery, i can take it off my head and wave it near the magnetic tailcap and snap, it is charging.

Anyway look into the Olight H2R Nova.

IMO, It is far superior to the 2013 NitecoreHC50(585 lumen earlier version) even when it still worked properly, which it still, sometimes, does. It can output higher levels of light for longer with the same capacity battery, has a better beam pattern, is pretty small and light being not much larger than the 18650 battery, has a double direction clip for mounting to a pocket, and 2300 Lumens parked atop your head, well it is a bit obscene, even if it only can last for a short duration.

The elastic headstrap for the light comes with a magnet installed in the base, as well as a silicon retainment strap. They provied a foam pad in case it is preferable to not have a magnet here. I did not mind the magnetic function, but I did not like the square magnet being pressed to my forehead. Perhaps my forehead is too domed. Anyway I had to pull out the magnet and replace it with the provided pad.

it is a strong chromed neodymium magnet with kind of rounded edges. Perhaps it will find its way onto an oil filter casing, someday.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/10/17 04:57 PM

it would probably take me 10 minutes to fix that hc50.
likely a contact issue.loose retaining ring?
Posted By: wrcsixeight

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/11/17 07:55 AM

Its not a contact Issue. All conductive surfaces on everything I own get celaned with Deoxit d5 or d100 or g5 and sometimes proteced with S5.

The failure is internal to the light. When It fails it will put out 1 lumen or perhaps 5 lumens. I can leave it on in such a state and several hours later it will goto a higher brightness level and work perfectly for X amount of time, then cut out again, usually when murphy says it will cause me a tempertantrun and launch some tools into low earth orbit.

I've seen no way to open the light up to get at the circuit board.

It had been dropped several times. The headband is worn out, It got a lot of use.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/17/17 03:53 AM

well if you are going to toss it send it to me.
i will figure out how to get into it.
this will create data points for those who want to upgrade leds,ect.
Posted By: kb27

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/21/17 08:37 AM

I just got a nitecore NU20
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/ILLUMINATION/NU/NU20/
It's very lightweight, with built-in lithium battery.
My favourite thus far, for working at night.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/21/17 01:43 PM

kb27, that looks like a useful light. It's certainly more secure than me attaching my OTR M3 to the visor of my baseball cap. smile

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/04/17 09:34 PM

This came in last week... C8 XPL-HI 3A. It has an even longer beam distance than my Haikelite MT02, and weighs less than half of MT02, so it's much easier to carry around.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/09/17 12:39 PM

c8.
a classic from a good mfr.
good choice.
i own several of those.
mine all have nichia 219 hi cri but one.
and i have one here ready for it when i fire up my rework station.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/09/17 04:00 PM

mine all have nichia 219 hi cri but one.

Nice. I wouldn't mind picking up an inexpensive light with Nichia 219C in it, for photography purposes.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/27/17 03:07 AM

I wouldn't mind picking up an inexpensive light with Nichia 219C in it,

Ended up with this one...

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/27/17 11:37 PM

Nice QP...how do you like it?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/28/17 01:48 AM

Haven't had a chance to use it much yet. Build quality seems nice. The clicker has a very nice firm action... kind of like a regular pen. Beam pattern is very even... no apparent hot spot, which is what I wanted.
Posted By: Gito

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/28/17 10:01 PM

lol

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/28/17 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
The failure is internal to the light. When It fails it will put out 1 lumen or perhaps 5 lumens. I can leave it on in such a state and several hours later it will goto a higher brightness level and work perfectly for X amount of time, then cut out again

I would check with the manufacture to see if it powers down to prevent overheating. Some lights can get pretty hot.
Posted By: Duffyjr

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/29/17 11:00 AM

Been following this for a while now and decided I want to get one that runs on a single 18650. Long story short I have a cheap LED/pointer light that a guy give me that runs on AAA and works ok but would like one a little brighter. I while back I bought a bunch of Vape stuff from a guy for cheap and there were three green Samsung INR18650-25R included along with a NiteCore-D4 charger so I figure I might as well have a flashlight that I can use these with instead of throwing AAA in the garbage, plus I don't own anything else that uses AAA.

Out of all the ones talked about here I like the Convoy S2+, it's exactly the size I would like to have so I looked at amazon and found one but not sure if it's the same as what I've seen posted here. Less than $20 with prime.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M083KDK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3PPOIMKVCJBO8&psc=1

What do you think, will this one be ok for using around the house or would you suggest ordering one from some where else?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/29/17 12:49 PM

Duffy, the one you linked to has 3x7135 driver... not bad, but the weakest of all Convoys.

If you insist on ordering from US, then get it from mtn electronics...
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&product_id=582

This one is 6x7135, and you can choose your preferred tint color. I prefer 3B (neutral white) personally. In addition to tint color choice, they have other body colors available, too.

Also, these have the older XML2 LED which has a floody beam pattern, and old UI (2 groups only). If you prefer more of a hot spot/more throwy beam pattern then you want the XPL HI LED. There is also a new biscotti UI (12 modes) with many more different output options available if you order from Convoy China directly.

Ive got two S2+ lights... one has xml2, and the other has xpl hi led... they are quite different, so it really depends on what you want. The xml2 is nice for walking at night or for indoors to light up a wide area at a shorter distance. The xpl hi can reach a lot further due to a more pronounced hotspot. Both are very nice lights.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/29/17 09:47 PM

Thanks QP, I ordered the blue one you linked to. They only had it in the cool white but for what I need it for and the little I use a flash light I'm sure it will work.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/29/17 10:02 PM

Sorry about that. I should have checked availability before posting.

Let us know how you like it when you get it. I run mine in group 1 to avoid the blinky modes.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/03/17 02:08 PM

My S2+ came yesterday so I had a chance to play around with a bit last night and this is a solid little light and way brighter than I imagined. The button is smooth and works just as described and it just feels well made, should last a long time if I can keep it from growing legs.

And your right QP, best to keep it in group one to avoid blinky modes.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/03/17 04:50 PM

Glad you like it, Duffyjr.

With a diffuser cap, it also makes for a nice lantern...

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/04/17 07:33 PM

Man, all the pretty pictures of trinkets for men are worse than propaganda. 6 months more of this, and I may splurge for something as well.

Although, my therapy has been different and steady: dumpster diving for old Silicon Graphics and SUN computers. A politically correct term for dumpster diving is 'rescue'.

A friend has an amazing collection of adjustable wrenches, one is a true piece of art from Japan.

IAPD = "It's all psychosomatic, Doctor"

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/04/17 11:30 PM

I just got a Convoy UV light like this >>>>>>

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/05/17 09:16 AM

Glad you like it, Duffyjr.

With a diffuser cap, it also makes for a nice lantern...

Ok this is something I would use since we seem to loose power a few times a year.

After using the light for a couple days I think the lanyard that comes with this is over kill, don't get me wrong it's quality and very nice but it's to much. So the fist thing I noticed that without the lanyard it has a tendency to want to roll so I think a clip would work better for me how ever I noticed a couple different styles, one that clips on and one that screws on. I would think that the one that screws on would be better for actual use but I like the way the clip looks without the screws since I only want it to keep it from rolling.

When you guys are ordering this stuff from over seas what website do you guys prefer to order from?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/05/17 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
When you guys are ordering this stuff from over seas what website do you guys prefer to order from?

If I want a Convoy, I get it from Simon (the owner) directly, which means going through aliexpress.com. He can accomodate non-standard configurations, even if they are not listed on the website.

Everything else it's either gearbest.com or banggood.com, depending on which one has a better deal/coupon code running at the time. However, it seems that banggood's free shipping method typically gets to me faster than gearbest's free shipping.

FYI, MTN Electronics sells the little diffuser caps, too.

Quote:
After using the light for a couple days I think the lanyard that comes with this is over kill, don't get me wrong it's quality and very nice but it's to much.

I put my hand through it when I walk with it at night, so that I don't drop it, and it seems fine for that purpose. But around the house, I agree, it's overkill.

Quote:
so I think a clip would work better for me how ever I noticed a couple different styles, one that clips on and one that screws on. I would think that the one that screws on would be better for actual use but I like the way the clip looks without the screws since I only want it to keep it from rolling.
Didn't your S2+ come with a standard clip in the box?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/05/17 10:37 PM

I was a little disappointed it didn't come with a clip as most of the video reviews showed it had one.

I ordered both clips to see which one is better and diffuser cap plus I found this holster to protect it in my junk draw.

https://www.banggood.com/High-Quality-Ny...ur_warehouse=CN

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/05/17 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I was a little disappointed it didn't come with a clip as most of the video reviews showed it had one.

That's odd. Both my S2+ lights came with a clip, but the clip was not installed - just sitting in the Convoy box.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/12/17 09:04 PM

QP did you try and put that clip on with the little screws? What a pain in the rear that was, any way it looks nice but wouldn't use it for anything more than a pocket clip, I think eventually it will work itself loose and when it does I won't be putting it back on unless the clip on ones are total junk.

That diffuse cap really works well and lights up the whole room even on low.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/12/17 09:53 PM

Duffy, both my S2+ lights came with a regular clip that does not use screws. See pics below.

Honestly, I don't use the clip on this light. It just gets in a way. I only put it on to take a picture. smile

Posted By: spasm3

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/12/17 10:06 PM

What do you guys think of the nitecore p12?

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/ILLUMINATION/P/P12/

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/12/17 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Looks nice. Seems to offer a decent balance between throw and flood. How much are you getting it for?
Posted By: spasm3

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/12/17 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Looks nice. Seems to offer a decent balance between throw and flood. How much are you getting it for?

I can get one around $60-70.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/13/17 11:11 PM

Got this little guy for $10... runs on NiMH as well as Li-Ion, neutral white tint, programmable UI.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/14/17 03:15 AM

How easy is the interface on this one? I get mad quickly by most of the modes I need not.
Where did you get it from?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/14/17 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Y_K
How easy is the interface on this one? I get mad quickly by most of the modes I need not.

It's pretty easy. Single click to turn on and cycle through low/med/high/turbo.

Blinky modes (strobe, SOS, beacon) require a double click, so you can easily avoid them in normal use.

Quote:
Where did you get it from?

https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_555778.html

The sale is over now though.

FYI, there have been some reports of switch not working correctly on this light, but mine seems to be fine. YMMV.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/14/17 05:28 AM

Thank you. I am tempted by regular battery compatibility.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/14/17 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Thank you. I am tempted by regular battery compatibility.

If you are looking for a simple 1xAA light, you might also consider Jetbeam Jet-1 MK. Only three modes: low/mid/hi, and no blinky modes. No switch to worry about - just twist the head to operate. Pretty bullet-proof, IMO.

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_368125.html?lkid=10940220

Coupon Code: JMKdeal

brings the price down to $10.99.

Posted By: sleddriver

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/15/17 07:17 PM

Looks like a good stocking-stuffer Pete.

I do wish the specs would list the light color temp however. Some of these lights are far too blue/silver for me.

I still run halogen HDLTs in the sled and the color difference between many newer vehicles on the road these days is just amazing.

Great to know that many of these LED lights now have the option of warmer light color.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/15/17 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Looks like a good stocking-stuffer Pete.

I do wish the specs would list the light color temp however. Some of these lights are far too blue/silver for me.

The Jetbeam one lists color temp as 6500-7000K. It's cool white basically, but not blue.

The UTorch UT01 is available in one of two options:
- cool white (6500K)
- neutral white (5000K)
Posted By: Dumc87

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/16/17 12:15 AM

Well hm! I was about to ask here on this sub-forum which flashlight seems to be good for mechanics.

I have a lot to read through, but if someone could be so kind as to drop me a few types/brands or what to look for, I'd appreciate it!

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/16/17 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Well hm! I was about to ask here on this sub-forum which flashlight seems to be good for mechanics.

You want something that's hands-free? If so, this Nitecore linked earlier would work...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr......#Post4521844

Alternatively, something small with a clip that can attach to the brim of your hat.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/16/17 01:15 AM

Also, Skilhunt makes nice headlamps, under $30 with coupon...
https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_391921.html?lkid=10940257

But you would need to get yourself an 18650 cell and a charger.

I just picked up another one of those single-bay LiitoKala chargers/power banks. I could not resist the $0.99 price.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/16/17 01:33 AM

Also, Skilhunt makes nice headlamps, under $30 with coupon...
https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_391921.html?lkid=10940257

But you would need to get yourself an 18650 cell and a charger.

I just picked up another one of those single-bay LiitoKala chargers/power banks. I could not resist the $0.99 price.

Rechargeable Battery light

Any insight into this light? I'm okay with my freebie harbor freight light for now lol

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/16/17 01:46 AM

Any insight into this light?

The light might be OK, but the battery is going to be junk, and you really dont want to mess with [censored] Li-Ion batteries.

General word of advice, stay away from any battery that has the word 'fire' in its name.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/16/17 01:54 AM

Any insight into this light?

The light might be OK, but the battery is going to be junk, and you really dont want to mess with [censored] Li-Ion batteries.

General word of advice, stay away from any battery that has the word 'fire' in its name.

Fair enough haha

I'm just looking for something shock-proof and water proof that won't break the bank

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/16/17 02:54 AM

Quote:

I'm just looking for something shock-proof and water proof that won't break the bank

IPX8 rated, and runs on AA cell, although you'll get significantly more output if you stick a Li-Ion cell in there:
https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_618210.html?lkid=10940219

But for lighting up engine bays and suspensions/ undercarriages, even the 190 lm you get out of an AA NiMH cell should be plenty bright.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/16/17 04:55 AM

BTW, I took the little Utorch for a walk this evening, just clipped to my hat. Running at about 200 lm or so, it's bright enough for walking. A high capacity AA NiMH cell will last about 1.5 hours at this output level.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/16/17 10:51 AM

Quote:

IPX8 rated, and runs on AA cell, although you'll get significantly more output if you stick a Li-Ion cell in there:
https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_618210.html?lkid=10940219

But for lighting up engine bays and suspensions/ undercarriages, even the 190 lm you get out of an AA NiMH cell should be plenty bright.

Awesome! Might have to jump on that one! Thanks laugh
Posted By: ET16

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/16/17 02:15 PM

Any c-cell lights to recommend? I've had it with 3-cell AAA flashlights. I'm constantly replacing batteries. I also find a lot of batteries leak now.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/16/17 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: ET16
Any c-cell lights to recommend? I've had it with 3-cell AAA flashlights. I'm constantly replacing batteries. I also find a lot of batteries leak now.

Depending on your 3-cell AAA configuration, many of them can be replaced with a single 18650 or 21700 li-ion cell which will give you more output, significantly longer runtimes, no leaks, and can be recharged of course.

Anker LC40 (the original one) mentioned earlier in this thread is one such light.

But if you must have a c-cell light, here are some options:
http://flashlights.parametrek.com/index.html?battery=2xC+3xC

Posted By: funflyer

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/16/17 04:31 PM

Kinda late to the topic but here's a flashlight I picked up at Menards last month for 10 bucks. It's called a Billy Bat. I bought several for Christmas gifts and carry one when the wife and I are out walking in the evenings just in case I need to thump an aggressive dog on the nose. It's only rated at 150 lumens but is still very bright.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/17/17 02:05 PM

Any c-cell lights to recommend?

Looks like Home Depot sells some Duracell c-cell lights. I don't know if they are any good...

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/17/17 02:34 PM

Here is another 3xC light from HD:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-850-Lumen-LED-Flashlight-HD15BF01/206091479
Posted By: SilverFusion2010

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/18/17 04:21 AM

Fenix Flashlights FX-PD35TAC Flashlight, 1000 Lumen, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010ESCLHW?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Picked this up last week. Fantastic light

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/18/17 09:58 PM

if its the c form factor you want look at 26650 lights.
c lights on alkaleaks do have one advantage.c cells are the last to sell out in a disaster.
and a 3c can often take a 26650 with a easily made dummy cell.
Posted By: Trav

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/19/17 09:33 PM

Any c-cell lights to recommend?

Looks like Home Depot sells some Duracell c-cell lights. I don't know if they are any good...

I have had the 3 C cell for many years that I bought in a 2 pack from Cosco, its been through Hades and back and still works great.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/23/17 03:23 AM

Here is the 1000-lumen Home Depot Defiant (3xC) next to a Convoy S2+. Quality is OK, not great, but the light output is decent and I guess it could be used for self defense. smile

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/23/17 04:47 AM

Got this little guy for $10... runs on NiMH as well as Li-Ion, neutral white tint, programmable UI.

Back on sale for $9.99
https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_555777.html?wid=21

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/23/17 04:56 AM

Yup... this time it's the Cool White that's on sale. I ordered one this morning since I already have the Neutral White. It's a great little light, just as long as you get one with a non faulty switch.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/23/17 02:33 PM

I ordered one this morning since I already have the Neutral White

I knew you needed another light. grin2

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/30/17 04:01 AM

HD has these on sale right now for $16... 500 lm Virtually Unbreakable Aluminum Flashlight 2-pack

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/30/17 10:25 PM

HD has these on sale right now for $16... 500 lm Virtually Unbreakable Aluminum Flashlight 2-pack

For being 4xAA lights, these things are pretty enormous... smile

They put out similar amount of light as the Defiant (3xC), even though Defiant is rated at 1000 lm while the Husky is rated at 500 lm.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 12/05/17 02:10 AM

S2+ shorty...

I can finally put my 18350 cells to use... LOL.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 12/05/17 09:25 PM

S2+ shorty...

How do you like it? Is the length the only difference between it and the regular S2+ ?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 12/05/17 09:43 PM

Yup... shorter and lighter, so it's more portable I guess.

At one point I was trying to find a very light 18350 flashlight... I never did. Unfortunately, this S2+ shorty isn't all that light either, but the shorty tube was only about $3, so I thought I'd give it a try. smile

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 12/09/17 12:51 AM

I finally got my other Convoy. It's an awesome light for $9.99

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 12/09/17 03:49 AM

Nice!

BTW, I just got this as a gift for a family member. Runs on AA/NiMH as well as 14500 Li-Ion. You can program in your own light output. For a 4xAA light, it is surprisingly small.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 12/20/17 04:39 PM

I ordered one this morning since I already have the Neutral White

I knew you needed another light. grin2

My UT01 Cool White finally arrived... for outdoor and general use, I think I actually prefer this cool white tint. The neutral white in reality is more of a warm tint, probably closer to 4000K than the advertised 5000K... but it's good to use as a night light ceiling bounce on moonlight mode.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 12/21/17 02:33 AM

The UT01 is advertised as 800 Lm.....can it be that bright with a 14500?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 12/21/17 02:39 AM

I like this new Lumintop but I wish it was cheaper >>>>>>>>

https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_1476204.html?lkid=12400444

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 12/21/17 03:13 AM

The UT01 is advertised as 800 Lm.....can it be that bright with a 14500?

Realistically, it's probably more like 600-700 LM with the CW emitter. The NW emitter will be less.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 12/21/17 03:13 AM

I like this new Lumintop but I wish it was cheaper >>>>>>>>

https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_1476204.html?lkid=12400444

bangood has it for $17.50. Still kind of pricy.
Posted By: Silverado12

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 12/22/17 02:22 PM

Nebo work light

I paid the full price for this but it's really good as a magnetic work light. I use it all the time.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/16/18 04:58 PM

I just ordered one as well, since it's on sale.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/16/18 09:45 PM

Now you can show your spouse all the dirt she missed.
Posted By: JGmazda

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/18/18 03:25 AM

Now you can show your spouse all the dirt she missed.

...........LOL!!!

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/19/18 02:06 PM

How much? Can you provide link? Even though my flashlight count has been now approaching 3 digits, I have no UV light. i need to rectify this!
Posted By: johnD2

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/24/18 12:01 AM

Picked up this edc light from IMR batteries. I think the light was $15 , batteries were $7 , shipping was $3.

Took about a week thru snail mail from Texas.

I have others , fenix and streamlight. This is ever bit as good imo.

https://www.imrbatteries.com/xtar-wk42-siruis-cr-flashlight-cree-xm-l2-u2-led-300-lumens/

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/24/18 12:32 AM

Nice. Good price for this light. What charger do you use?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/24/18 01:02 AM

One of my chargers is an Xtar charger. Didn't know there was a Xtar flashlight. Reminds me of some of the Olights.
Posted By: johnD2

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/24/18 01:19 AM

I didn't know about IMR batteries until I saw some guy on youtube talking about where he got his samsung 18650 cells for cheap.
As for a charger I use a Nitecore i2, it charges all kinds of Lithium cells.
If y'all are on the fence, order one , it's perfect for edc. The cree is not cool blue , it's a white light.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 01/24/18 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: johnD2
I didn't know about IMR batteries until I saw some guy on youtube talking about where he got his samsung 18650 cells for cheap.

Yup, IMRbatteries is great. I bought a bunch of cells from them last year. Always a good experience.

When looking for Li-Ion cells, I always cross shop https://www.imrbatteries.com/ against https://liionwholesale.com/ and https://www.illumn.com/

All three are usually pretty close to each other.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/17/18 11:08 PM

PSA: 18650 light with side clicky for $8.96 and free shipping if you have prime:
http://a.co/bBDxvzC

Make sure to redeem the 30% off promo that's currently available.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/19/18 06:14 PM

Looks like I am too late to use the promo :-( But why do I want yet another light just because it is cheap???
Posted By: JC1

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/19/18 06:38 PM

The Costco in my town had these Duracell flashlights on sale for $9.99 each (regular $19.99). Considering is comes with 4 batteries it was a no brainer. I picked up 4.

https://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Durabeam...cell+flashlight

It`s a bright flashlight.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/19/18 06:41 PM

But why do I want yet another light just because it is cheap???
It's the BITOG thing to do - buy stuff that you absolutely don't need just because it's on sale. smile

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/19/18 08:31 PM

I know I purchased a good UV flashlight few months ago (I think it was recommended here but I could be wrong)

I DO NOT REMEMBER WHERE I HAVE STORED IT :-( And I am not even 60 yet :-( :-(

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/19/18 09:52 PM

LOL! I know the feeling.

I ended up rounding up most of my lights and cells on one side of the closet so that I could find them more easily, but I still have a bunch of strays in various places around the house and garage.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/20/18 12:19 AM

Nice display! Doing something like this could be hazardous to my marriage, so I hide them all over the house :-)
Posted By: joel95ex

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/22/18 11:28 PM

blf giga thrower and 5A C8 xpl-hi on copper w spring bypasses
Posted By: red7404

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/28/18 08:57 PM

i found a very trick to make a great flash light. get a RayOvac floting lantern 6V. with 10 LEDs. toss the alkaline battery. get a duracell ultra DURA6-5SP battery lead acid battery. get a Schumacher SEM-1562A battery charger. that bat will stay on for 2 + days

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 04/28/18 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
blf giga thrower and 5A C8 xpl-hi on copper w spring bypasses

Now we're talking!

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 05/03/18 01:09 PM

what no noctigon m43 or blf q8?
you slacker!
LOL! I know the feeling.

I ended up rounding up most of my lights and cells on one side of the closet so that I could find them more easily, but I still have a bunch of strays in various places around the house and garage.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/08/18 09:20 PM

Picked up a little camping lantern. Runs on a single 18650 cell. 350 LM max with infinitely variable light output and variable color temperature from 2700K to 6500K, plus red light mode, and magnetic tail.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/08/18 10:18 PM

QP....That looks like my Convoy....thanks for turning me onto those flashlights. I'm amazed every time I use them.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/08/18 11:23 PM

Yes, the S2+ is a classic.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/22/18 07:48 PM

Picked up this single AA/14500 light during Prime Day for around $10. Good quality, simple UI (low/mid/high), decent tint, reversible clip, and comes with a diffuser cap.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/12/18 10:34 PM

Comes with a head strap. 32 grams. Built-in tail cap magnet. Nichia 219c emitter.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/13/18 02:44 PM

Why don't you post your purchase when you make it? That way at least we might even have a 10% chance of getting your deals!

This is *my* way of saying that I like this light and I am hoping you got a screaming deal on it.
Because I *know* you and there is no way you would have spent $26 on this light at Amazon :-)

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/13/18 06:12 PM

Actually that is what I spent. I don't think Manker gives any discounts.

So, no, no deal on this one.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/13/18 11:12 PM

For that coin, it better be good! Many years ago, I purchased similar UF-H3B (18650) and UF-H2B (AA/14500) headlamps. I like them. I no longer remember the price but I must have spent pretty penny for them. These are the only "genuine" ultrafires that I have. They have good form factor and are one of the most compact for the battery type. Manker looks similar.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/14/18 12:46 AM

The reason I bought it is that I wanted a really light headlamp (under 50 gram including battery) that has high CRI emitter. I could have bought one of the Nitecore lamps, but they have built in non removable cells which I did not like

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/14/18 01:29 AM

That's a cool little light....I like the color too.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/15/18 09:39 PM

Manker looks similar.
yes, but Manker runs on AAA cell.

There is an AA zebralight that weighs 32 g, but it costs twice the price of Manker, so I did not pursue it. That UF H2B must have been similar except for no Nichia.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/16/18 02:05 PM

You must be working on women's jewellery to need high CRI but low battery capacity headlight? For outdoor usage, I don't see how it will help you.

All kidding aside, single AAA will either give you brightness or battery life but not both. I do agree with you though that once you have used a high CRI light, you no longer accept generic bluish LED light any more even if you are fixing your brake pads on the car.

By the way, do you use your office address to keep these purchases hidden from the "boss" at house?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/16/18 02:25 PM

You must be working on women's jewellery to need high CRI but low battery capacity headlight? For outdoor usage, I don't see how it will help you.

All kidding aside, single AAA will either give you brightness or battery life but not both.
Yup, this is for indoor only up-close work when I want some extra light. The low mode (16 lumen) or medium mode (70 lumen) on this light is typically sufficient for this.

For outdoor use, I've got other lights.

Quote:
By the way, do you use your office address to keep these purchases hidden from the "boss" at house?
LOL! She buys shoes, I buy flashlights. I think I spend much less in comparison. smile

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/16/18 03:09 PM

Looking at my purchase history, I have not bought even a single light in last 12 months! These days, I am living vicariously through your purchases instead. Please keep them coming :-)

I still get restless when any one of my light go "missing". I did finally find my UV light safely stored in a box. After fixing my digital camera (removed the dirt from the sensor), my favorite headlamp was missing for few days. As it turns out, it was under the work area stuck to the metal frame of the table!

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/27/18 04:54 PM

For those who shop at Costco, apparently Costco has these CAT 2-pack LED Worklights with Magnetic Base for $9.97:
https://www.costco.com/.product.1600070.html

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/29/18 01:17 PM

Why don't you post your purchase when you make it? That way at least we might even have a 10% chance of getting your deals!
This Nitecore Tube keychain light is on sale for $6.49 right now:
http://kaidomain.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1498

I picked one up, mainly just for my kid to play around with.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/06/18 12:13 AM

Astrolux S1 shorty...

[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/06/18 12:56 AM

That Sandy one looks like shorty version of my Convoy

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/06/18 01:13 AM

Yup, that's Convoy S2+ Desert Tan with a shorty (18350) tube.

The S1 has higher lumen output (around 1400), but it becomes way too hot to handle if you run it at that level for more than about a minute. It can pull over 5 Amps.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/06/18 03:11 AM

My S2+ XPLHI - U6-3A doesn't seem to get hot whereas my S2+ XML2 - U2-1B does.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/06/18 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Warstud
My S2+ XPLHI - U6-3A doesn't seem to get hot whereas my S2+ XML2 - U2-1B does.

How many 7135 chips though?

My S2+ XPL-HI 3A 7135x8, if left unattended, will hit 66 deg C (150F) - way too warm for comfort. And that's only pushing 2.8 Amps.
My S2+ XML2 3B 7135x4 doesn't get anywhere close to that temp.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/07/18 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
How many 7135 chips though

There both 7135-6

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/07/18 03:06 PM

How many 7135 chips though

There both 7135-6

That's strange. That should heat up somewhat, regardless if XPL-HI or XML2. Were you testing it on a fully charged cell?

Cooler ambient temps (outdoors) will reduce flashlight temps as well.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/09/18 03:11 AM

Astrolux S1 with an 18650 tube... not a fan of this shade of red, but it works.

[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/09/18 03:16 AM

Yup... this time it's the Cool White that's on sale. I ordered one this morning since I already have the Neutral White. It's a great little light, just as long as you get one with a non faulty switch.

My Cool White UT01 went bad... it will turn on once only, and after you switch it off, it will not turn back on again until you unscrew the tail cap to break the circuit. Common problem with these lights. If you don't unscrew the tail cap right away, it will continue to drain your cell, even though the LED is off. It killed one of my 14500 cells this way. Sucks.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/09/18 03:40 PM

Q.P. .....Does it act up when using AA batteries?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/09/18 05:32 PM

Q.P. .....Does it act up when using AA batteries?
Yes, same issue with all types of cells... Li-Ion, NiMH, alkaline.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/16/18 10:04 PM

500 lumen utility light... works on 4xAA cells. Currently $9.97 at your local Home Depot.

[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/22/18 07:27 PM

Nitecore TIP - works great as a hat light with the included clip.

[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/22/18 08:05 PM

Nitecore TIP - works great as a hat light with the included clip.

What's the difference between that and the TUBE ?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/22/18 08:28 PM

What's the difference between that and the TUBE ?
TIP has a higher capacity cell, better LED (XP-G2 S3), and a lot more light output - 360 lumen. TUBE: 45 lumen.

TIP also comes with a clip.

[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/24/18 11:56 AM

How do you turn it on or or off or change modes with the clip in place?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/24/18 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vikas
How do you turn it on or or off or change modes with the clip in place?

You put the clip on the other side. smile

The version I bought has a lockout mode, so it's not needed to cover the buttons with a clip, like that photo shows - but I know some versions of this light don't have a lockout mode. The first version suffered from high parasitic drain in lockout mode.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/24/18 10:53 PM

The TUBE next to the TIP:
[Linked Image]

The TUBE looks like a toddler's toy. The TIP looks like a first grader's toy. smile

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/25/18 07:56 PM

I have officially gone off the rails...

https://intl-outdoor.com/emisar-d4s-26650-high-power-led-flashlight-p-932.html

Can I stay with one of you guys when I get kicked out of the house?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/26/18 01:34 AM

QP....you getting one ?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/26/18 01:40 AM

I think I'm gonna order another one of these to give away. I'm extremely impressed with it.....I like it better than my Sandy XPLHI

That 7000k Color Temp is the best

Light
Posted By: HangFire

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/26/18 01:49 AM

My turn.

Picked up a Lil Larry Camo at the local Battery Warehouse a few months ago for 19.99, came with NEBO AAA batteries. Magnet base, 250 Lumen COB, 2 light levels and flashing red LED. I use it all the time.
[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/26/18 02:09 AM

I think I'm gonna order another one of these to give away. I'm extremely impressed with it.....I like it better than my Sandy XPLHI

Light

FYI, Utorch came out with their version of it now, too. $7.99 with coupon:
https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_009564935439.html?lkid=15230533

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/26/18 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by HangFire
My turn.

Picked up a Lil Larry Camo at the local Battery Warehouse a few months ago for 19.99

I bet that's a heckuva light.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/26/18 03:02 AM

Thanks but I wonder how reliable they are.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/26/18 03:18 AM

Thanks but I wonder how reliable they are.
I'd expect reliability to be the same, but if the UI really is (High-Middle-Low-Strobe-SOS) with no option to hide the blinky modes, then I much prefer the Convoy UI.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/26/18 04:17 PM

I have officially gone off the rails...

https://intl-outdoor.com/emisar-d4s-26650-high-power-led-flashlight-p-932.html

Can I stay with one of you guys when I get kicked out of the house?

I am certainly not a fan of stupid UI. I want the light to turn on as soon as I press the button and turn off as soon as I press the button *without* changing the mode. And unless the user guide is imprinted on the body of the light, I don't want to remember to click 7 times for the light to go in to low mode.

I have a feeling that once the novelty wears off, this is NOT going to be your favorite light.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/26/18 05:49 PM

I want the light to turn on as soon as I press the button and turn off as soon as I press the button *without* changing the mode.
It does that, but in addition, it can do a ton of other stuff, and much of it is user-configurable. Obviously a light for geeks, not for your grandma.

And unless the user guide is imprinted on the body of the light, I don't want to remember to click 7 times for the light to go in to low mode.

If a light is only to have a single button, you have no choice but to use multiple clicks to access different features. But most of the basic operations are achieved with one or two clicks. The girl that writes the firmware is a veteran - she's written a ton of them in the past for lights like Convoy S2+/C8 (w/Biscotti firmware), BLF A6, and earlier Emisar models, so this is not her first rodeo. But again, this light isn't for everyone.

I have a feeling that once the novelty wears off, this is NOT going to be your favorite light.
I like the form factor - a 26650 tube sits more comfortably in your hand than a typical 18650 tube. Plus, the max lumen output is just crazy cool, even if very temporary. smile

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/27/18 05:55 PM

Which 26650 cells are you decided on?

By the way, my first "high powered" LED light was direct driven meager Luxeon running on 3AA cell (Rayovac? aluminum tube with fluted black rubber grip and rear clicky) light . I think I paid $55 almost couple of decades ago and had to order from some guy in Hawaii while I was a prolific CFPer.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/27/18 07:37 PM

Which 26650 cells are you decided on?
I ordered the Liitokala cell that Int'l Outdoors offers with this light, so that I did not have to pay separate shipping charges. It can handle high current, although there are slightly better cells out there that one could buy, like the Shockli cell that MTN Electronics carries. I think this light can pull more than 15 Amps from a cell.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 09/30/18 05:20 PM

Light

I see Gearbest has a 7135x8 on sale now. Is there much of difference between that and the 7135x6 ?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/02/18 12:39 AM

I see Gearbest has a 7135x8 on sale now. Is there much of difference between that and the 7135x6 ?

Roughly about 30% more light output - hard to tell a difference with a naked eye unless you are comparing them side by side, assuming they both have the same emitter.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/02/18 01:10 AM

Forgot to mention, the 8x can get pretty toasty after running on max for some minutes.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/02/18 02:55 AM

My first 26650 cell is here.

[Linked Image]

And so is my first 26650 light. I love the form factor - fits in my hand like a glove. The light output in turbo is just insane, but it heats up very quickly as well. Thankfully you can modify the thermal config if you find it too warm for comfort. The auxiliary LEDs are kind of neat, too.

Basic UI operation is pretty easy. For all the config stuff - there is a big diagram as well as a lengthy user manual. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/02/18 08:32 PM

How in the God's world did you get those reflection streaks? And that teal color; where is that one coming from?

Now the important question about light output:- About/less/more than one car headlight?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/02/18 08:38 PM

Forgot to mention, the 8x can get pretty toasty after running on max for some minutes.

Good point....maybe I'll pass on it.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/02/18 08:56 PM

QP....I bet that's one bad @ss light.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/02/18 11:03 PM

How in the God's world did you get those reflection streaks?
Good question. The aux LEDs have a pretty wide (and weird) dispersion pattern, and I'm guessing the light is just reflecting in this strange way from the curvature of my stainless steel trash can lid. smile

Here is the aux LED beam pattern:
[image removed]

And that teal color; where is that one coming from?
The light has 16 cyan-colored aux LEDs which were turned on in this photo. The 4 main XPL-HI LEDs were off. I tried to adjust colors in post processing to get them to look as close as I could to real life, but I probably wasn't all that successful.

Here is the LED setup:
[image removed]

Now the important question about light output:- About/less/more than one car headlight?
I need to take this light outside at night to get a better feel for its output. Last night it rained cats and dogs, so I couldn't.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/03/18 01:29 AM

anyone else getting a login prompt from toykeeper.net on this thread?
fishy to say the least!

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/03/18 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by kc8adu
anyone else getting a login prompt from toykeeper.net on this thread?
fishy to say the least!
I'm not.

Must be because I linked to her images in my last response. I asked the mods to remove them.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/03/18 02:57 PM

I had requested for ability to keep the images on the BITOG server in the past. If the images do make this forum better overall *and* images are insignificant portion of the total storage requirement for the forum, then the correct decision would be to allow that. One could even put some max limit per contributor or prevent very high resolution image uploads etc.

But hey, that is how I see it when I don't have to pay for the BITOG resources :-)

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/03/18 03:14 PM

I had requested for ability to keep the images on the BITOG server in the past.
The ability to upload images directly to BITOG has been available for quite some time.

My main problem with it is that once you upload it to BITOG, you lose control over it, which is why I personally don't use it. But that is a strength of it as well.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/03/18 08:32 PM

What do you mean by "control"? are you talking about being able to modify the picture after it has been posted? For example, you wanted to remove the EXIF information aka geo location tag from it etc?

Think of them as something that you "contributed" to the forum. You can't go back and revert your "contribution"!

If you wanted to soft-link to the image, then I would presume you want the link to land at a server that you control (and probably pay for it).
If you are linking to those "free" picture hosting sites, you have already ceded control of your picture to that site owner.

May be I am mistaken and do not quite understand your concern.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/07/18 03:47 PM

Would a IMR 18650 battery solve the heat issues ?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 10/07/18 04:22 PM

Would a IMR 18650 battery solve the heat issues ?
No. It's not the battery that generates the heat. It's the LED. Because the S2+ is a pretty small light, it doesn't have much surface area to dissipate that heat effectively.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 11/07/18 08:10 PM

This Olight H04 is currently $9.95 on Amazon with free Prime shipping.

Pretty nice simple little headlamp to have around. Not a huge lumen output, but very useful when working on stuff. The diffused lens makes for a nice soft beam pattern.

[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 12/08/18 12:11 AM

Banggood has a Flash Deal on the Convoy S2+ Sand Xp-l Hi for $12.99

https://www.banggood.com/Convoy-S2-...order&ID=521816&cur_warehouse=CN
Posted By: man114

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 12/08/18 02:11 AM

I have three of these now after buying a NOS one. http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Ran...ith-Ring-Hanger-and-Slide-Switch-2D-1948

Put LED bulbs in them, last forever. Was the first flashlight I used as a kid. Will probably hand them down to my kids.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 03/06/19 08:30 PM

Time to give this thread another bump. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 03/07/19 02:38 PM

I have original UltraFire UF-H3B and it is one of my favorite light. Just the right size and ample runtime with good 18650 cell.

[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 03/07/19 03:21 PM

I have original UltraFire UF-H3B and it is one of my favorite light.
Do you ever carry it on your head? How's the weight?

The H03 weighs 92 gram, including battery. I tried it on my head yesterday, and you can definitely feel it. OK for short term, but not long term. When I go walking at night, I much prefer something lighter like Nitecore Tip or even an AA light.
Posted By: Brigadier

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 03/07/19 04:39 PM

I just purchased a bunch of lights. Been a long time since I had bought any new lights:

Reylight Pinaeapple Copper AAA[10440] from Amazon.

It can run on any AAA size battery, alkaline, lithium, NiMh, or Li-ion rechargeable[10440]. The 10440 gives the highest output on high.

I run the 10440 as it is rechargeable.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076YDYTS5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 03/07/19 04:42 PM

For EDC pocket/tactical carry, I use this one:

Nitecore MT10C. I run the 18350 Li-Ion rechargeable. CR123 is useable with less output and longer run times.

This also has a red LED on the side of the reflector. Nice at night for navigating a dark house. It also has beacon mode.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JHKM69H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 03/07/19 04:44 PM

I needed some new LED searchlights for the bug out bag/car as mine were stolen in a recent break in.

First is the Thrunite TC20. Takes one 26650 rechargeable.And you can recharge the battery in the light.

For the size, this is a pocket rocket. Neutral white tint LED.

-Turbo (3800 lumen; 130 minutes)
-High (1800 lumen; 145 minutes)
-Medium (320 lumen; 10.2 hrs)
-Low (38 lumen; 46 hrs)
-Firefly (0.5 lumen; 37 days)
-Strobe (2280 lumen; 180 minutes)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078JYVJCS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 03/07/19 04:46 PM

And a Thrunite Mini TN30 .

3X LED, 4X 18650 batteries.

Neutral tint LEDs

-Strobe (3660 lumens/234 minutes),
-Turbo (3660 lumens /120 minutes),
-High (2060 lumens / 190 minutes),
-Medium (470 lumens / 15 hrs),
-Low (46 lumens / 123 hrs),
-Moonlight (0.5 lumens/98 days)

[Linked Image]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ASV9QSW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 03/07/19 04:51 PM

And for kicks, a Maratac TLL V3. TLL stands for Temporary Landing Light. It was design as a safe landing zone beacon for the military. Doesn't start fires like a flare will.

D battery. High, low, and beacon. Has a std camera tripod mount in the bottom and a glow o-ring around the dome.

Constant On, Low mode, 40 lumens output for up to 375 hours
Constant On, High mode, 350 lumens output for up to 20 Hours
Stobe Burst Mode mode, 500 Lumens output for up to 250 Hours ( 70 Beats Per Minute )

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

https://countycomm.com/collections/...oducts/tll-strobe-light-by-maratac-rev-2

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 03/07/19 05:22 PM

Nice lights there, Brigadier!

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 03/07/19 06:01 PM

Thanks. Just ordered a second TLL for the wife. She wants to have on in her car.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 03/07/19 08:26 PM

I have original UltraFire UF-H3B and it is one of my favorite light.
Do you ever carry it on your head? How's the weight?

The H03 weighs 92 gram, including battery. I tried it on my head yesterday, and you can definitely feel it. OK for short term, but not long term. When I go walking at night, I much prefer something lighter like Nitecore Tip or even an AA light.

I use it for tinkering around the house or the car. I usually complete (or give up) in less than hour. I have not used it for walking. The light pattern is much for the short range work rather than for walking.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 03/09/19 10:40 PM

Time to give this thread another bump. smile

[Linked Image]

Cool little light....how is skilhunt's quality ? And what is that screen looking thing over the lens ?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 03/10/19 12:01 AM

how is skilhunt's quality ?
Excellent, IMO.

And what is that screen looking thing over the lens ?
It's a diffuser - commonly used to achieve a wider and smoother floody beam.

Skilhunt also makes the H03F version which gives you two different lens options:

[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 05/21/19 01:47 PM

Picked up this little guy last week: Acebeam UC15. In addition to the main white LED (XP-L2), it also has a red LED and UV LED. It runs on two (or one) AAA cells or 10440 Li-Ion cells. It can be used as a headlamp when attached to the brim of a hat, using the included clip. It's a bit heavier than Nitecore TIP, but much more solidly built (aluminum body). The clip is metal, unlike the somewhat flimsy plastic clip on Nitecore TIP.

Rated output is 250 lm on alkalines/NiMH and 1,000 lm on Li-Ion.

http://www.acebeam.com/uc15

[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 05/21/19 04:47 PM

"one or two" AAA batteries? That is NOT good! It means those are wired in parallel. I never had good experience having cells in parallel.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 05/21/19 04:57 PM

I never had good experience having cells in parallel.
What problems did you encounter?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 05/22/19 02:16 PM

Very short battery life; higher possibility of leakage if you are using alkaline cells.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/03/19 08:26 PM

For those of you familiar with Convoy S2+, Simon has released a 21700 version of it (S21A):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gra...e-protection-management/33026858558.html

Claims max 2300 lumen output, but since the head/body isn't much bigger than S2+, my guess is, it won't be able to maintain that level of output for long before it hits its thermal ceiling. The S2+ (8x7135) can already get very toasty with no external cooling.

Plus, I'm not crazy about having to acquire yet another battery format. I don't have a Tesla to pull some 21700 cells from. smile

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/03/19 10:43 PM

Simon has released a 21700 version of it (S21A)

Thanks for the heads up but I think I'd pay a little more and get the S11

The S2+ (8x7135) can already get very toasty with no external cooling.

I've got one and it doesn't get hot at all.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/04/19 01:39 AM

Simon has released a 21700 version of it (S21A)

Thanks for the heads up but I think I'd pay a little more and get the S11
Good point. The S11 should handle heat better, plus it uses a 26650 cell which I already have.

I've got one and it doesn't get hot at all.
Put in a fully charged high current cell in, and stand it up and leave it running on max for a few minutes.

[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/04/19 09:09 PM

What type of battery are you using ?

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/04/19 11:06 PM

What type of battery are you using ?

Either Samsung 30Q or Sanyo/Panasonic GA.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/06/19 11:20 PM

Mine say EdisonBright but when I google ICR1865026F I come up with this>>>> https://www.imrbatteries.com/samsung-26f-18650-2600mah-5a-flat-top-battery/

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/17/19 02:44 AM

The 26F has some voltage sag under mid-higher current draw, but not too terrible:

[Linked Image]

BTW, I just picked up this mosquito zapper / lantern. It's got some cheap 18650 2000 mAh cell inside, but not easily accessible.

[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 06/25/19 11:13 PM

Maybe I'll get one when it's time to replace them

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/14/19 03:06 PM

Free I3E EOS offer starts on July 12, 2019 while supplies last!...$5.00 S&H
The i3E is an extremely compact flashlight with a maximum 90-lumen output, all running off of a single AAA battery. The i3E flashlight features a high-performance Philips LUXEON TX LED and a PMMA TIR lens that focuses the light to reach a distance of 44 meters.
https://www.olightstore.com/?sscid=71k3_d8g47&

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/14/19 03:26 PM

The i3E is an extremely compact flashlight with a maximum 90-lumen output, all running off of a single AAA battery. The i3E flashlight features a high-performance Philips LUXEON TX LED and a PMMA TIR lens that focuses the light to reach a distance of 44 meters.

[Linked Image]

I wanted to open that link, but unless I offer to let them invade all my privacy at Facebook or Google Gmail, it will not let me proceed.
So now I'm standing still, like I'm in quicksand and sinking fast..... without my new free flashlight to signal for help.

WAIT.... hold on, I got my free Harbor Freight flashlight in my pocket. I'll use it instead.
Posted By: Skippy722

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/15/19 07:39 AM

[Linked Image]

I had one of those, I lost the actual light part of it though... but they are pretty impressive for their tiny size.

I now have an Olight Seeker 2 Pro now. Absolutely love it.

Attached picture B5B78E5C-38F3-4819-A0EE-312036509156.jpeg

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/15/19 01:40 PM

Yup. Ordered one a few days ago. I still don't know if I just wasted $5. I wish it had a low/moonlight mode.

I already have a single AAA twisty light that has 3 output modes, and I think I paid $5 for it as well, from Amazon.
Posted By: Voleak

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/24/19 10:16 PM

Bought the Harbor Freight Quantum QFL-065, 65 lumens a few months ago, and have been impressed with it's brightness for such a small, thin, inexpensive flashlight. I just picked up a Fenix PD36R and I am super impressed with it. It has a maximum of 1,600 lumens on turbo and strobe. Feels really solid in the hand. Easy to use because it has a dedicated on/off button on the tail end, and a button on the body to quickly go through the five ranges of brightness, plus strobe. The turbo mode is just crazy bright, and would definitely be good for self defense to momentarily blind/disorient a person and give you time to run or strike the bad guy. I read that over 1,000 lumens can be somewhat effective in daylight, too, to momentarily disorient a perp.

[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/25/19 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Voleak
I just picked up a Fenix PD36R
A 21700 form factor light. Nice! I don't own any of these as of yet, and only one 26650 light. Everything else is either 18650/18350, 16340, or AA/NiMH.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/25/19 03:14 AM

My I3E arrived. It's cute, and that's about it. It could use a low mode and ability to tail stand.

[Linked Image]

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/25/19 04:11 PM

Pete,

How do you hide all these packages from your SO when they periodically show up at the house? I was you few years ago! I started using my work address.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/25/19 06:10 PM

Pete,

How do you hide all these packages from your SO when they periodically show up at the house?
I think my wife receives more packages in the mail than I do. I don't question her packages, and she doesn't question mine. smile

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/26/19 12:55 AM

I bought the Fenix PD36R directly from https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-pd36r-rechargeable-flashlight/ and got 20% off my first purchase. That made it the cheapest price I could find online. I registered the flashlight online with them, as well.

The PD36R does not tail stand due to the protruding on/off button. Not a deal breaker for me because I bought it for my wife to carry in her purse until the end of her shift. That walk through a large hospital parking lot at night can be creepy. Her current flashlight, a Coast G55, is bulky in her small hands, and not nearly as bright. Though the Coast's 650 lumens used to seem super bright, this Fenix is just something else altogether. I really like the easy user interface of the Fenix. Brilliant tool.

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 07/27/19 11:31 PM

My I3E arrived. It's cute, and that's about it. It could use a low mode and ability to tail stand.

thumbsup

Re: Got A New Flashlight... - 08/08/19 12:06 AM

Just got a Wowtac BSS V3. Comes with a red filter lens that screws into place for easy on the eyes night time use. The 1150 lumens strobe feature seems as devastating as the removable crenelated bezel.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy