new elantra

my daughter wants to buy a new elantra anyone know if they have trouble with their cvts transmissions?
my Hyundai's re are six and eight speeds no problems with them.trying to get her to buy a sonata instead
but she is pigheaded.

Good news--they do not have a CVT! I have a 2018 Elantra. The 2.0 L Atkinson engine is very fuel efficient. The vehicle is considered a mid-size; I have plenty of room taking my wife and two teenagers places. Very decent sized trunk, as well. The only thing the Sonata has over it is a bit more space.

Apparently the 2021 Elantra will have a CVT according to Wiki. If it's the same unit used in the Kia Forte
(it's cousin)....it should be OK....I haven't heard of any issues with it.

I have a 2020 KIA Soul EX with the Atkinson Cycle Engine and the CVT transmission. Hyundai/KIA calls it their IVT transmission. No issues and great gas mileage. Neighbor also has a 2020 KIA Soul with no issues.

NEW, What year, 2020 or 2021?
Are the '21s out yet?

Though I don't own an Elantra, my Sis & BIL have owned 5 Hyun/KIA products and love'em.
I like the Elantra myself and it was on my shopping list when we bought the '15 Civic used(too good of a deal to pass up).

I like the idea of the 2.0L(non GDI) and the 6 speed auto of the '17-'20. A good value.

The Elantra in my signature is my LEAST favorite car I've EVER owned. People saying they have a 2020 Kia/Hyundai with the new trans and don't have an issue most don't have high miles on it yet, either. So the jury is still out folks.
The car is a terrible freeway car at high speeds unless you like loud with absolutely no steering feel. You wont discover that on a 45 MPH test drive.

Hyundai's been having issues with their "Theta" 4-cyl engines... Check into that. At least you get the 100k warranty.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Hyundai's been having issues with their "Theta" 4-cyl engines... Check into that. At least you get the 100k warranty.

The theta is the 2.4L engine, which not used in the Elantra.

NO CVT unless you trade often!! girlfriends 2.4 optima with conventional 6 spd is GREAT!! lots of room + great mpg's + decent performance for a non boosted 4 banger. much better than her traded 13 2.5 oil drinkin malibu she traded.

The current generation Elantra has a 6 speed auto, they seem to be reliable. The 2.0 engines have been known to have issues.

Originally Posted by gregk24
The current generation Elantra has a 6 speed auto, they seem to be reliable. The 2.0 engines have been known to have issues.

Originally Posted by reemoe2
Good news--they do not have a CVT! I have a 2018 Elantra. The 2.0 L Atkinson engine is very fuel efficient. The vehicle is considered a mid-size; I have plenty of room taking my wife and two teenagers places. Very decent sized trunk, as well. The only thing the Sonata has over it is a bit more space.

some 2020 elantra have CVT. I have one.

I have the value edition. with 2.0L and cvt. Some other models may have regular transmission. In 2021 they will probably be all cvt.

The cvt is actually pretty amazing I've driven quite a few cvt. really didnt like the subaru cvt.
For driving feel I'd take one over the zf-9 speed in my jeep any day.. esp if it had 10 year 100k warranty.

With this cvt it always seems to be in the right rpm range without being obnoxious or buzzy.

The car itself easily returns mid to high 30's for gas mileage. The factory tires that come on it are below average. They wonder all over the road with any groove or crack.

but back on subject the CVT with factory 10 year warranty to back it up IMO isnt an issue on these. Also the port injected 2.0L is very reliable.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The Elantra in my signature is my LEAST favorite car I've EVER owned. People saying they have a 2020 Kia/Hyundai with the new trans and don't have an issue most don't have high miles on it yet, either. So the jury is still out folks.
The car is a terrible freeway car at high speeds unless you like loud with absolutely no steering feel. You wont discover that on a 45 MPH test drive.

Skyactive, it has been brought up before to you, the new Hyundai's 2020/21 have increased sound deadening and they are said to be as good or better then others in it's car class.

I hate to be that guy who brings up why are you whining about a car since I do it too to "better " Hyundai. Hyundai seemed to increased their sound deadening NOW. Why would you keep the car you hate so much? Why not go back to a Mazda then, or another Audi, anything but that hated Hyundai POS.

Originally Posted by Danno

The theta is the 2.4L engine, which not used in the Elantra.

The Theta engine is the 2.4 and the 2.0 engine. The Gamma, 1.4 , 1.4 T, 1.6 and 1.6T is one of Hyundai's better engines. If you don't lose a piston skirt by 10,000 miles you should be ok.

Haven't seen the '21, but pictures look spectacular. Think it looks better than the Sonata. Of course there's the risk of a first year car.

If you're talking about the present generation, Hertz will be throwing late model cars on market for next to nothing. I always had great luck with Hertz cars.

Last edited:

Oh yea. Go here below and RESEARCH their engine issues. See if they've fixed them with that Theta mess they continued since 2011. Remember also trade in on these cars is 💩 particularly when the mileage gets near the magic 120/10yr warranty mark. Do your homework and then decide if you want to pay more for something better. 🔥flame suit on, now bring it ...¼ Hyundai lovers I'm ready.

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/

At this point it is a roll of the dice with the transmission. All I can say is one lady at Hyundai-Forums had issues right away with the CVT. Took it to dealership. Said no problem. But there was a problem. So instead of being in an accident she had car towed to the dealership. They told her she did need a new transmission and they were on back order. I would post the thread but had problems finding it.

My 2017 Elantra is the best car I have ever owned and would buy that year again.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
At this point it is a roll of the dice with the transmission. All I can say is one lady at Hyundai-Forums had issues right away with the CVT. Took it to dealership. Said no problem. But there was a problem. So instead of being in an accident she had car towed to the dealership. They told her she did need a new transmission and they were on back order. I would post the thread but had problems finding it.

My 2017 Elantra is the best car I have ever owned and would buy that year again.

As far as the Hyundai Kona's go the first year, 2018 was the best year as far as transmissions are concerned, very very few. The A team put those together. 2019 saw many DCTs that had the C team put them together and had new trans installed. There have be a couple 2020's DCT and ATF pumpers that have been replaced too. Seems to be less then the 2019 C team run of trans.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Originally Posted by skyactiv

Skyactive, it has been brought up before to you, the new Hyundai's 2020/21 have increased sound deadening and they are said to be as good or better then others in it's car class.

I hate to be that guy who brings up why are you whining about a car since I do it too to "better " Hyundai. Hyundai seemed to increased their sound deadening NOW. Why would you keep the car you hate so much? Why not go back to a Mazda then, or another Audi, anything but that hated Hyundai POS.

SKYACTIVE-jumps on EVERY HYUNDAI THREAD and bashes.

It's getting OLD.

I wouldn't go the IVT route until after a few years. Never buy anew model. Let the suckers buy it and find out what it's like. Takes a few years to get the bugs out.

I have a 2017 Elantra with the 6 speed auto. I don't have much to say about their IVT (it's still a pretty new trans), but the 2.0L has been just fine. Gets great gas mileage and it's pretty quiet. I'm 54k miles into it and haven't had a problem yet *knock on wood*. The car is great for what it is- a cheap mode of transportation. Dollar for dollar, I would put it up against the Civic and Corolla. A lot of people love the Mazda3 in this class (justifiably so), but I actually went from a Mazda3 to the Elantra just because I thought the Mazda3's interior was kinda cheap and full of rattles. I still hate most Hyundai dealers, but their cars are great for what they are.

Back