2019 New Ram vs 2019 Ram Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are still some 2019 Rams being cleared out. They have the 2019 New Ram 1500 with a Hemi and the 2019 Ram Classic with a Hemi. Does anyone know if the Hemi was changed and or improved with the new model or is identical to the pre-2019 Hemi Engines. Also, there seems to be comments of problems with the cam and lifters with the Hemi. Were these issues ironed out by 2019? Thanks.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
There are still some 2019 Rams being cleared out. They have the 2019 New Ram 1500 with a Hemi and the 2019 Ram Classic with a Hemi. Does anyone know if the Hemi was changed and or improved with the new model or is identical to the pre-2019 Hemi Engines. Also, there seems to be comments of problems with the cam and lifters with the Hemi. Were these issues ironed out by 2019? Thanks.
smile.gif

I believe they revised certain parts and components, from prior years that had issues. From 2014/15 on. As it was initial gen1 year 2011 that had most issues and 2012 one which I owned. I am not 100 sure from when, but 2019 has many components that are built with different materials and so on.

The engines are identical. The lifter issue was sorted starting somewhere ~2014 for the most part. The lifters have been through several revisions at this point.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
The engines are identical. The lifter issue was sorted starting somewhere ~2014 for the most part. The lifters have been through several revisions at this point.

So is the lifter cam issue a non issue on the new trucks? Is the hemi tick gone?

Originally Posted by spasm3

So is the lifter cam issue a non issue on the new trucks? Is the hemi tick gone?

Depends on what's causing the noise. Some have had noisy rockers, some have a bit of piston slap and trucks are almost guaranteed to develop a manifold leak that ticks.

I've never owned a HEMI that ticked, and for every single one of our work trucks, when they did develop a tick, it was broken exhaust manifold studs. YMMV of course.

A while back I heard that the E-Torque system was giving a lot of problems and dealers didn't know the fix. Trucks were being laid up in the shops for weeks at a time. Pretty sure I read about it on Edmunds consumer reviews.

Originally Posted by fcjeep
A while back I heard that the E-Torque system was giving a lot of problems and dealers didn't know the fix. Trucks were being laid up in the shops for weeks at a time. Pretty sure I read about it on Edmunds consumer reviews.

I haven't heard that mentioned at my dealer, but we avoided that system and just got the straight HEMI+ZF8HP+3.92LS combo.

I don't have any input on the engines but I drive both at work and the new ram is much higher quality feeling. I do like the look of the old ram better

The new ram is leaps and bounds better than the classic. I had a 17 RAM and now have a 19 NEW and there is NO comparison.

RUSTY RAMS!!! the biggest issue! no manual tranny means NO sale + i never owner + would never by chrysler products especially NOW!!

If you want the pentastar in the "new" Ram 1500, it's got to be with E-torq. You can't get it without. That's a no go for me.

Originally Posted by benjy
RUSTY RAMS!!! the biggest issue! no manual tranny means NO sale + i never owner + would never by chrysler products especially NOW!!

Well then, that settles it, I'm completely sold! Why rely on such dubious data as provided by folks with real ownership experience when it's obvious that the authority on the matter has, with borderline literacy, spoken!
smirk.gif

I work at a Ram store. No issues that have hit my radar map on the e-torque system. If there were any, they have been resolved.
As for rust, yes I see some 10 year old Rams come in with rusted rockers - but they have just been beat on. Its about owner's pride - the interiors are just trashed.

We sell quite a few Rams, Classic and New. Pick the one you feel most comfortable with, and enjoy the ride.

I was confident enough to "put my money where my mouth is" by buying a 2019 JGC Summit Hemi 8-speed.
Its just an awesome ride.

Originally Posted by Danno
Pick the one you feel most comfortable with, and enjoy the ride.

I looked at both, Classic and New style. What sold me on the Classic was that it was not overloaded with tech in the cabin. I don't fear tech but I do love simplicity in a vehicle. That, and the ride is just stellar. Best seats ever.

Show me a new 1/2 ton truck with a manual trans....

Well then, that settles it, I'm completely sold! Why rely on such dubious data as provided by folks with real ownership experience when it's obvious that the authority on the matter has, with borderline literacy, spoken!
smirk.gif

Lighten up! That individual is an expert in multiple automotive disciplines.
His articulate and logical posts are a mother lode of mechanical knowledge- the precise grammar and spelling are simply the icing on the cake.

Originally Posted by MCompact

smirk.gif

Lighten up! That individual is an expert in multiple automotive disciplines.
His articulate and logical posts are a mother lode of mechanical knowledge- the precise grammar and spelling are simply the icing on the cake.

crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back