Bought the wife Bimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought the wife a 2009 BMW 650i Convertible. 43k on the odometer. For whatever reason she has always wanted a convertible, so i found this unit at a reasonable price. Black with saddle tan interior.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice car. Read up on the forums for preventative maintenance and items to watch for. I know BMW had something like 15 or 18,000 mile oil change intervals but from what I've heard you should cut that down to 7,500 or so. I hope it is a great car for you. The depreciation on them is crazy so hopefully you can sock some cash away each month for the maintenance/repair fund as I'm sure you saved a ton buying used.

Originally Posted by LazyDog
Nicer car but I hate black colors. What engine is on that beauty?

4.8 V8 rear wheel drive

Black was not my first choice either. But for low mileage and only 15 grand purchase price I decided it was worth it. Dealer through in 12 month/12000 mile powertrain warranty and a new battery.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RhondaHonda
Nice car. Read up on the forums for preventative maintenance and items to watch for. I know BMW had something like 15 or 18,000 mile oil change intervals but from what I've heard you should cut that down to 7,500 or so. I hope it is a great car for you. The depreciation on them is crazy so hopefully you can sock some cash away each month for the maintenance/repair fund as I'm sure you saved a ton buying used.

This dealer said 10,000 intervals. Plan on 5000 to 6000 for now.

Originally Posted by LazyDog
Nicer car but I hate black colors.

He didn't buy it for you, unless you're his wife. Lol

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
But she wanted the V10 !

You know for that Lambo soundtrack!

That's why I've kept our M6 with the S85 engine. It just sounds so good, and is fun with the 6-speed manual. Our other V10 has its own unique sound.

Congrats, OP.

Originally Posted by WTJackalope
Bought the wife a 2009 BMW 650i Convertible. 43k on the odometer. For whatever reason she has always wanted a convertible, so i found this unit at a reasonable price. Black with saddle tan interior.

There is a reason for that. N63 engine is absolute nightmare.
Check whether Customer Care Program (CCP) was done on that engine which involves replacement of valve stems. Check oil all the time. Expect leaks, expect leaking turbo lines etc.
I am not sure whether BMW NA still has that CCP for N63 owners.
Sorry to break bad news.

Originally Posted by atikovi
There is a buzzkill in every group.

I am just telling him what to expect. There is no any way to sugarcoat issues that engine has.
Yes, it is monster of an engine, yes it drives like a dream, but he should be on the look out.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by atikovi
There is a buzzkill in every group.

I am just telling him what to expect. There is no any way to sugarcoat issues that engine has.
Yes, it is monster of an engine, yes it drives like a dream, but he should be on the look out.

HAHA. Kinda like telling the wife at her wedding that her new husband is going to be 300 pounds and bald in 10 years.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by WTJackalope

There is a reason for that. N63 engine is absolute nightmare.
Check whether Customer Care Program (CCP) was done on that engine which involves replacement of valve stems. Check oil all the time. Expect leaks, expect leaking turbo lines etc.
I am not sure whether BMW NA still has that CCP for N63 owners.
Sorry to break bad news.

It's a 2009, I don't believe the N63 was used until 2011, this has the N/A N62 in it, which had several issue to my recollection, can't remember off the top of my head what they were, but, yeah, late 2000s into the 2010s BMW V8 engines are not known for their low cost of ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back