2020 Impreza Premium vs 2020 Crosstrek Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdn

I recently did a 2020 apples to apples comparison of $23,495 MSRP 2020 Subaru Impreza Premium vs $24,205 2020 Crosstrek Premium. That includes delivery charges. It's a $710 difference. $600 of it is base MSRP and the other $110 is higher delivery charge on Crosstrek.

Then I will show them set up and priced with identical options and accessories on both cars, using the Impreza Premium my son bought this week as a baseline. Bottom line MSRP price for the two cars is shown.

The difference between a Crosstrek Premium and Impreza 5-door Premium CVT is the Crosstrek has 3.6" more ground clearance and has plastic cladding on the fender and a few interior styling cues. That's it. It's the identical car, an Impreza with a lift kit and 1" larger wheels 17 vs 16. Both have alloy wheels. And a $101 Subaru cargo tray accessory included with Crosstrek (my son bought it for Impreza) and fog light in the bumper. Now they are at parity. It is a $600 price hike to base MSRP, which seems okay. Oh and the Crosstrek has Orange seat stitching if that appeals to you.

What you don't get on the Crosstrek Premium though is CVT which is standard equipment on Impreza Premium but a $1,350 option on Crosstrek. Keep that in mind when comparing. The Impreza is giving you CVT standard. The Crosstrek whack you $1,350 for an automatic transmission. If you do get it the engine and transmission on both cars are identical.

What you also do not get on Crosstrek is the Subaru Eyesight safety package which is standard on Impreza Premium but not Crosstrek Premium. Not even after you pay $1,350 for the CVT. Impreza Premium has it. To add the highest end features: advanced blind spot detection lane assist and cross traffic warning on Impreza Premium you do need to get the $1,970 moonroof/power seats option package but you get the rest for free. On Crosstrek how you get any and all Eyesight safety features requires a moonroof package that is $1,695 (manual seats) or $1,995 (power seats).

The delivery charge is $1,010 vs $900 for Impreza I don't know if that is paying for the extra air or height or extra Cash for Subaru but it pads Crosstrek by another $110.

MSRP for Crosstrek Premium CVT with the $1,995 (moonroof, power seats, Eyesight) options package is $27,550 on Subaru website just now. My son got the $1,970 package on his Impreza. When we add the identical Subaru accessories like my son's new Impreza Premium: cargo mat, bumper cover, splash guards, auto dimming mirror with compass and Homelink, auto dimming side mirrors with approach lighting, the Crosstrek MSRP rises to $28,424.

My son's Impreza Premium tricked out the same came to $26,435 MSRP. That's a price difference of $2,000.

Again you do get plastic fender cladding, three and a half inches of body clearance, 1" bigger tires & fog lamps with the Crosstrek with your extra $2,0000.

Near as I can tell where they are whacking you on the Crosstrek Premium is this:
$110 delivery charge
$1,350 for the CVT that does not include Eyesight. But I did add the full Eyesight packages to both cars for this comparison.

We did not look at the Likited for either car just Premium.

Originally Posted by JLTD
I would have to go Crosstrek with the manual transmission…

IF I fit in a Subaru.

Im 6' 1" with 33" inseam. 250lbs

The NEW Impreza is very generous up front. I fit very well.
In fact I think I had to pull the seat up a couple notches.

Problem? Not enough HP for the money for that weight car with AWD.

Forester base with 6MT used to be the value proposition, now its the Legacy if you want to be ot the door under 23K.

OTW Its base eimpreza 5 door with a stick, You can get out under 18K no trade

An Impreza is not worth over 24K even with diamond cladded tire studs.

They can keep their radar safety nannies.

They should have a 175HP 2.2 litre in that car.
Like they had in my wife's old Outback Sport. decades ago.
Uh, thats what a Crosstrek XV was called before they gave it a name change.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JLTD
I would have to go Crosstrek with the manual transmission…

IF I fit in a Subaru.

My boy is 6' 3" and he fits in the 2020 Impreza hatchback. It is the same interior room as the Crosstrek, same layout.

Originally Posted by BBDartCA
Does Subaru has the CVT issues resolved?

Yes. The model years affected were 2015 and older Subaru vehicles. 2013-15 Crosstrek , 2010-2015 Legacy and Outback. The Impreza had a complete redesign starting in 2017 including a brand new, 152 direct injection engine. The Crosstrek got a new engine beginning in 2018: 2017 and earlier models used the same non-DI engine that makes 148 HP, that was in in older generation Impreza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back