Thoughts on Kia Sorento with 3.3 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the general feeling about the 3.3 V6 used in some of the Hyundai/Kia automobiles? I drove a '19 Sorento the other day and was impressed with it. The V6 makes 290 hp. and is silky smooth. With AWD it has a center locking dif.. Do I really need that? Hardly ever. But might be cool to have if you get caught in some unexpected snow. Highway mpg is only 24 with AWD.

I'm fairly sure that the next version of this car will not have the V6, so if I decide on this one I would need to move before too long. Anyway your thoughts on that 3.3 engine and the Kia Sorento in general will be appreciated.

Thanks.

I bought a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe SEL Plus 6 months ago instead of the Kia Sorento. The styling is newer and more attractive and the Santa Fe gave me more than the Sorento. I got the SEL Plus, climate control, FOB, many sensors, push button rear gate lift, alloy wheels, larger wheels, $25,000.

Good motor IMO. I have seen the older version go over 200k easy. Newer ones are even better. No major issues with them that I know of. Just check the fluids on time and keep up with general maintenance and it should last a long time.

It's very slow for 290hp and only 4300#. That terrible mpg is not worth it AT ALL.
I would pick something else just because it's bottom of its class for power to performance.

Originally Posted by Ws6
It's very slow for 290hp and only 4300#. That terrible mpg is not worth it AT ALL.
I would pick something else just because it's bottom of its class for power to performance.

This would be the contrarian view compared to most automotive reviews. It's a smooth, reliable engine with a solid, proven A/T. Yes, it's below par in EPA mileage but hardly terrible. Not to mention you can have a V-6 Santa Fe or Sorento for a song compared to other 3 row SUV's.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Originally Posted by Ws6

This would be the contrarian view compared to most automotive reviews. It's a smooth, reliable engine with a solid, proven A/T. Yes, it's below par in EPA mileage but hardly terrible. Not to mention you can have a V-6 Santa Fe or Sorento for a song compared to other 3 row SUV's.

I'm not arguing about the engines reliability, just that 290hp and 8 forward gears in a 4300# vehicle with AWD should be a high 20's on the freeway affair, not 24mpg.

We have it's predecessor in our 12 Sedona (a 3.5) and it has been fantastic. Super reliable and powerful. Had to have a belt pulley replaced around 75k and that has been the only repair on it, ever (engine).

Don't know how much the updates affected it, ours is not DI for example.

I know the 3.3 was a great V6 back when I owned my 2008 Santa Fe. I'm not sure what changes have been made to it over the years. Mine had the lowly 2.7L v6 and 4spd auto. I thought that combo moved along nicely for what it was.

Originally Posted by wbwanzer
What is the general feeling about the 3.3 V6 used in some of the Hyundai/Kia automobiles? I drove a '19 Sorento the other day and was impressed with it. The V6 makes 290 hp. and is silky smooth. With AWD it has a center locking dif.. Do I really need that? Hardly ever. But might be cool to have if you get caught in some unexpected snow. Highway mpg is only 24 with AWD.

I'm fairly sure that the next version of this car will not have the V6, so if I decide on this one I would need to move before too long. Anyway your thoughts on that 3.3 engine and the Kia Sorento in general will be appreciated.

Thanks.

As far as I know it does not have center locking differential and AWD is nothing special. ECU mimics center locking differential up to certain speed (usually 25mph).

Originally Posted by Ws6

I'm not arguing about the engines reliability, just that 290hp and 8 forward gears in a 4300# vehicle with AWD should be a high 20's on the freeway affair, not 24mpg.

When did it get then 8 speed?
My 2018 Santa Fe still has the 6 speed. My average MPG is just over 18, but that is a lot of around town and idling. Best I have had is 26.

I am quite happy with the 3.3. Before I bought it, I researched it and could not find any issues that owners have reported.
It is smooth, has enough power for me and my driving needs.

I am not sure if the Sorento/Santa Fe XL will be continuing with the introduction of the 3.8 V6 powered Telluride/Palisade being introduced this year.

The AWD is very capable, among the best out there. Just do YouTube search for the diagonal test.
The engine is strong, smooth and ok on fuel. I passed my 2016 V6 Sorento to my son and am driving the 2019 JGC.
The Sorento is the best vehicle I had owned.
No issues in 3.5 years of ownership.

My friend purchased 2020 Stinger GT with 3.3 dual turbo. That car moves! No aftermarket oil filter for it. Fram has no listing. Walmart doesn't list 2020 vehicles yet..Stealer stated it is a paper cartridge. Severe service intervals are @ 3,000 miles. Sorento severe service was 3,750 miles.

Engine "break in" is 700 miles, according OM. I thought modern engines were already "broken in" so to speak.

Originally Posted by Onetor
My friend purchased 2020 Stinger GT with 3.3 dual turbo. That car moves! No aftermarket oil filter for it. Fram has no listing. Walmart doesn't list 2020 vehicles yet..Stealer stated it is a paper cartridge. Severe service intervals are @ 3,000 miles. Sorento severe service was 3,750 miles.

Engine "break in" is 700 miles, according OM. I thought modern engines were already "broken in" so to speak.

No, modern engines are not already fully broken in.

Originally Posted by Ws6

As an owner-your first statement has no basis in fact...NONE. When you hit the accelerator with the 3.3 it really moves the vehicle. While the mpg is not class leading-I can get 30 mpg(higher that it's rated for) on the HIGHWAY-20-22ish around town.

The Hyundai is actually better refined than my 2018 -$50,000.00 Silverado pickup. I hate to admit that....but it's the truth.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Propflux01
3.3 is a solid engine. Easy to maintain, as well. I'd go for it.

The 3.3L Sorento engine filter went to canister, bottom of engine, in 2019, from cartridge top of engine before 2019.
Probably to make the engine compatible across multiple platforms, with or without the twin turbos.
2019 onward, you have to remove the belly pan to get the oil filter changed.
With our 2016, I just use an extractor for the oil, change the filter on top - never have to get under to do the oil.
Just a check to make sure everything looks ok underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back