$ 1,000 Vehicle Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have this idea to purchase a $ 1,000 car solely for the purpose of driving back and forth to work. I run a blog that has an automotive section and I think this would be a fun addition.

What cars would you like to see in this?

I'm thinking 2nd gen Cavalier Z24. They're tough to find, but not impossible. Most are convertibles in need of new tops, but low mileage and can be had for a grand.

I might increase it to 2-3k, but I want to keep it low-cost. The goal is to track every expense over the course of a year and see how much it really costs to operate.

I don't know if there's any Saturn S models around. Last sold in 2002. Simple and fixable with body that didn't rust.

I think the key is to find a car with relatively few owners and is easy to work on. When my car got to be 15 years old, it was funny how low the parts prices would get. Sellers wanted to close out their inventory before all the demand was gone.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Get something perceived as a total POS like an older VW Jetta with a gas engine.

I would rather stay away from VW's to be honest.

Even if it's a cheap 1-3k car, it still has to be relatively clean and in good mechanical shape. Bonus points if it's easy to work on.

Originally Posted by Oldtom
older Dodge Caravan? good tow vehicle, fairly easy to work on, remove seats and you can haul lots of stuff.

I really don't want to daily drive a Dodge Caravan, lol.

I bought a Buick LeSabre almost 3 years ago for $700, it needed struts and tires, also got a set of proper intake gaskets since it is a 3800. Did front brakes since then and aside from oil changes and tire rotations it has asked for nothing. Gets 30 mpg most of the time, A/C will freeze you out of there if you set the fan speed higher than the #1 position. While I don't think it is pretty, it drives well, shines like new and has been a great daily driver. Put over 40k on it in that time, all is still good. Many of the grandma/grandpa cars can be had cheap in very good condition, as long as you get rid of the Michelins which WILL be on it lol.

Originally Posted by 71Chevyguy
I bought a Buick LeSabre almost 3 years ago for $700, it needed struts and tires, also got a set of proper intake gaskets since it is a 3800. Did front brakes since then and aside from oil changes and tire rotations it has asked for nothing. Gets 30 mpg most of the time, A/C will freeze you out of there if you set the fan speed higher than the #1 position. While I don't think it is pretty, it drives well, shines like new and has been a great daily driver. Put over 40k on it in that time, all is still good. Many of the grandma/grandpa cars can be had cheap in very good condition, as long as you get rid of the Michelins which WILL be on it lol.

I was looking at ~ 2011 Impalas, never thought about the G Bodies. My grandfather had a LeSabre new (02?) and that thing was awesome to ride in. One of the best road trip cars ever, haha.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Get something kinda cool/obscure. Like a Volvo wagon or something

A new Volvo might be cool. A $1,000 Volvo? Hmm...

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Since this is BITOG, Crown Vic, of course.

That's a good one, and don't forget all those GM V6 sedans; if you can't find one of those in running condition for a grand, you aren't looking hard enough. 94 or newer: the older engines weren't as good and will have had R12 A/C. And stay away from the 4-bangers.

Fun? Not for $1000. Anything that price that was ever fun will be beaten close to death and need major investment. You're looking for ugly and boring but mechanically sound.

Heck, we'd sell you the Matrix for that, runs great but the body is beaten like a rented mule.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Since this is BITOG, Crown Vic, of course.

That's a good one, and don't forget all those GM V6 sedans; if you can't find one of those in running condition for a grand, you aren't looking hard enough. 94 or newer: the older engines weren't as good and will have had R12 A/C. And stay away from the 4-bangers.

Fun? Not for $1000. Anything that price that was ever fun will be beaten close to death and need major investment. You're looking for ugly and boring but mechanically sound.

Heck, we'd sell you the Matrix for that, runs great but the body is beaten like a rented mule.

is the Matrix a stick?

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Get something kinda cool/obscure. Like a Volvo wagon or something

A new Volvo might be cool. A $1,000 Volvo? Hmm...

I'd have to agree.
An older (early 00's) model could be had for cheap and the turbo models would be very cool.

Downside is reliability. But with the amount of info on the net I'm sure you could keep it going for a while on a minimum budget.
Just depends on how much time your willing to keep it functional.

If you have hills and snow only get a crown vic with a limited-slip differential. This is from my personal experience.

Originally Posted by irad
If you have hills and snow only get a crown vic with a limited-slip differential. This is from my personal experience.
New enough for traction control and studded snow tires ain't bad either. My MGM actually does pretty well with GY Assurance Tripletreds. My vote is Cavalier, all the way, the older & less rusty, the better-they seem almost impossible to kill in the TBI years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back