I test drove a new Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I test drove an extended cab 4X4 with the 6' bed. The rear seats are a joke but Ford does offer a rear seat delete if you special order it. The truck doesn't ride very good. Maybe it's actually designed to haul stuff. I can get over the ride although. The engine has plenty of power and works very well with the 10 speed transmission.
The 10 speed transmission seems to work better in the Ranger than in a F150 I test drove. I really liked not needing to micro correct the steering unlike the F150 I test drove.

I really like the size of the truck. I've never liked large vehicles.

The price makes it a bad deal compared to the deep discounts offered on new full size trucks.
I wish the fuel tank held a few more gallons.
My wife put a ton of miles on my VW for business travel and it's time to mothball it. It has 163K on it and we live on 5 acres and I need a truck.

You can click on the window sticker to enlarge it.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My wife put a ton of miles on my VW for business travel and it's time to mothball it. It has 163K on it and we live on 5 acres and I need a truck.
One of those trucks is much cheaper than the other.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Is VW planning to bring the Amarok to the States anytime soon?

VW claims that they will bring the new version here in a few years.

Last edited:
$8K less than I payed for my fully loaded 2006 Duramax 4X4 Diesel. Crew cab long box with tax and license included.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
$8K less than I payed for my fully loaded 2006 Duramax 4X4 Diesel. Crew cab long box with tax and license included.

New 13 years ago or some amount of used? The Ranger is $6K more than I paid for a 2007 Silverado Duramax 2wd in 2014.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

In 2006, a new Ranger cost $15K.

for a "new vehicle" that doesn't seem so bad anymore...
definitely more of an apples to oranges comparison, but here's the sticker for my '13 C-max. similar price point, better mpg's, but no where near the offroad ability, or haulage capacity..

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
Jeezus that price is ridiculous...

Is it? As I recall my 98 S-10 ZR2 was sticker of $21, and $29k out the door (approx) when I bought it new. $10k more 20 years later? Meh.

I can't tell if the one with the sticker above is a loss leader or well equipped, but I'd assume it's at least as well equipped as my 98, maybe without the off road goodies.

What surprises me is 22 mpg. That's really lousy.

I test drove an extended cab 4X4 with the 6' bed. The rear seats are a joke but Ford does offer a rear seat delete if you special order it. The truck doesn't ride very good. Maybe it's actually designed to haul stuff. I can get over the ride although. The engine has plenty of power and works very well with the 10 speed transmission.
The 10 speed transmission seems to work better in the Ranger than in a F150 I test drove. I really liked not needing to micro correct the steering unlike the F150 I test drove.

The price makes it a bad deal compared to the deep discounts offered on new full size trucks.

[Linked Image]

For that price, I would get a new full size Silverado/Sierra V6 work truck. Heck might luck out and score a crew cab for that price

Dave

Originally Posted by JHZR2

Is it? As I recall my 98 S-10 ZR2 was sticker of $21, and $29k out the door (approx) when I bought it new.

Yes, it is ridiculous.

The fact that you paid $29k for a Chevy S-10 in 1998 is also ridiculous.

Now we have two ridiculous things.
cheers3.gif

Our local Ford dealer sells everything on the lot for 1% over invoice but two vehicles.
1) The new Ranger
2) Bullet Mustangs.

These are sticker plus $800 for "free lifetime maintenance"....yep that is just how he lists it on the supplemental sticker.

Originally Posted by GMguy84

[Linked Image]

For that price, I would get a new full size Silverado/Sierra V6 work truck. Heck might luck out and score a crew cab for that price

Dave

You could last year and it would be a step up a Custom Crew Cab. But making a mid sized truck should not cost significantly less then a full size. I don't know the assembly time and parts numbers but the difference should be minimal.

When you consider that averages wages in the USA have barely risen in the past couple of decades or more, all vehicle prices have become ridiculous.

Consumer Reports came to the same impression regarding the ride; not very good. Their tester MSRP was $40,000!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back