Nissan Versa. Good kid car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

Any ~2007-2012 Versa owners here? Just looking for experiences/advice.

I'll be helping my oldest out with a car soon and have been doing some research and scouring local ads. One vehicle that stands out to me is the NIssan Versa, either the hatchback or sedan in "S" trim, so it has the old school 4spd automatic and 1.8L engine .

I don't mind CVTs (models above the S have a CVT), but would rather avoid one in a $4-5K used car with ~100K miles on it which is why I'm sticking with the S trim and 4spd AT only. I've seen Versii used locally as taxis and livery vehicles with ridiculous amounts of miles on them and they seem to hold up well. Regular maintenance looks easy on them, simple rear drum brakes and I've not seen a rusty one even @ the 10yr old mark. Rust is always my main concern and for what ever reason this model seems to fare better than others.

Last edited:
Do you hate your kid. Only kidding, That car is transportation. Nothing more. Noisy, slow, cheap. Reliability is OK.

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Do you hate your kid. Only kidding, That car is transportation. Nothing more. Noisy, slow, cheap. Reliability is OK.

Rod

LOL! It's incentive to work for what you want. They're gettin' nothing fancy if it's on my dime, plus the small size is nice for the driveway situation.

I looked at 2014's for a bit, not sure what changed then. But I recall spark plugs being a bit of pain (have to remove intake), and the cheapest models had no sound deadner (loud on highway). But if it's for the kid, a cheapo car might be best (all the more incentive to get a job).

I think the years prior may have had a recall for coil springs that would rust, snap and could cause an accident when they snagged the tire.

You're right on that supton, the intake has to come off to access the coils and plugs, but it looks like an easy task according to youtube. LOL

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
My cousin has one he's replace the Trans twice. No place to check you ATF. In a word CRAP!

Again, that's on the CVT equipped model that I'm not interested in. Even those have a means to check trans fluid level.

Get the 4AT. The early Nissan CVTs were more unreliable than they are today. I believe the 4ATs are the ones used in the 90s Nissans cars, before Renault influence and quality drop.

Otherwise not a bad, basic, basrebones car. I tried to buy one with the 5MT and no radio/power windows/locks but couldn't find a dealer that would actually get me one.

They take 3 quarts of oil. Tires are cheap. Brakes are cheap.

I've driven that vintage Versa in hatchback form. Personally I'd avoid the sedan as the hatch is much more practical for yoots. If the price is right and it's got service records, it's likely a solid choice. Maybe also look at Hyundai or Kia hatch models for decent reliability and price.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
LOL! It's incentive to work for what you want. They're gettin' nothing fancy if it's on my dime, plus the small size is nice for the driveway situation.

EXACTLY!!

Many decades ago, I bought a 1970 Ford Maverick for $35. It got me through High School. Reliably... read: no major repairs needed.

That's about I can say about it. I didn't get "mom and dad's money" when growing up.

2012 came with a new bodystyle for the sedan and feels more upscale and substantial. I have a low mileage salvage car I'll be rebuilding and had another one before that. The CVT's are only a problem with higher mileage examples and they do drive smoother than regular automatics.

I have a coworker who had one and had constant problems with it, very poorly built both interior and mechanically. Also look up crash test videos of that generation Versa, they aren't stellar compared to other small cars that were out at the time.

My friend bought a 2009 brand new and I have helped him with most maintenance on it since then. His is the 1.8 with the 4 speed automatic transmission. It has 140k on it now and the only things replaced have been a MAF sensor and one set of brake pads and rotors. Oil changes with conventional oil usually every 5-7k miles, changed the ATF once around 50k, and coolant and spark plugs were changed as well. It has been a very reliable car for him. He mostly owned Ford trucks over the years as well but his experience with the Versa was positive enough that he bought a new Nissan Titan this year and is keeping the Versa around for a second vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back