VW Jetta TDI used dieselgate cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in buying a late model Jetta TDI wagon. I have found several in my area that seem to be reasonably priced, $6,000 to $9,000 for 2012 to 2015 model years with 50K to 120K miles. My concern is buying one that might fail future emission tests and might need a lot of money to get it emissions compliant. Or, buying one that VW has already paid the owner settlement money, or buying one that VW has fixed and made emissions compliant, or buying one that is supposed to have been disposed of etc. Should I consider a used TDI, or run far away?

I used to think TDI were great but after a few family members owning them I am not impressed. They can get expensive money pits after they get some miles on them, 100K+.

Originally Posted by diyjake
I used to think TDI were great but after a few family members owning them I am not impressed. They can get expensive money pits after they get some miles on them, 100K+.
They are the car that holds it's value the longest I would say. 300000km, 10 years+ old and still worth 5k+ for a nice one around here. Commuters buy them to rack up the highway miles, so it is safe to assume most of them have a ton of highway miles. Cliche "I knew someone who had a VW and it was an unreliable heap. I have never owned one and never will" story.

If you are concerned about emissions, get a tune to delete them. If you do a lot of highway commuting they are a good choice. However, old euro cars are for enthusiasts, not those who don't understand how to maintain a car and are unwilling to pay someone who does.

We call it fine German engineering,

Ahh... dieselgate... One of the reasons I went for the fix instead of the buyback on my '15 Passat. Along with the restitution payment (I think was around $6,000) it now has some amazing warranty that covers everything from injectors, to fuel pumps to the entire emissions system.

For Eligible Vehicle generation 3, 10 years or 150,000 actual miles, whichever comes first, and 4 years or 48,000 miles from date and mileage of Approved Emissions
Modification, whichever comes first.

The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty will not void any outstanding warranty. If there is a conflict between the Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty and any outstanding warranty, that conflict will be resolved to your benefit.

The money that you think you save on fuel is put right back into maintenance and if you can't work on them yourself then I wouldn't recommend one.

Last edited:
VW is (was?) in the owners corner by using a lot less EGR than necessary so the intake stayed cleaner.

I suspect your emissions test is an OBD-II one. Read your state law to see if it's for "gasoline" cars anyway. I can't comment on how finicky VW TDIs are with regard to codes.

The government doesn't test old cars to new standards; they have to meet the standards for the year they were made. VW's fib wasn't noticed for years so it seems like even if you had to pass a test on a dyno you would.

I'll add that you don't see poor people driving diesels. If you want truly low cost of ownership get a 2002 Geo Prizm.
lol.gif

If the seller has a clean title, they can sell the car. VW would have it if they had to have it.

I would expect a new emissions sticker under the hood if the car was revised, and you could find fan forum pics of the engine compartment after VW did their fix so you could spot what the new parts look like.

The money that you think you save on fuel is put right back into maintenance and if you can't work on them yourself then I wouldn't recommend one.

....+1 (quoted for what I have also witnessed from friends and family.)

I just bought a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen Tdi from my local VM dealer - CPO. I love the darn thing. I've got 2 years unlimited mileage CPO warranty plus the dieselgate warranty up to 162,000 miles. Had a VW diesel previously and put 250,000 mostly trouble-free miles on it.

Some electrical gremlins but nothing like the problems I've had with my 2015 Chevy! I'd buy it and drive the wheels off it. They aren't making them anymore !

So why do you want it? Are you going to tune the suspension and turn it into a sports sedan/wagon? The diesel can make some substantial HP with add-ons, etc.

I would not buy one with an automatic tranny ... I would buy one with a stick and upscale interior.

If it passes SMOG for the transfer, it is doing something right. If it won't pass SMOG, give it back to the PO and get your money back.

In Cali, it's the sellers responsibility to make it pass testing. I dunno what it's like in your area ...

I picked up a 2013 Golf TDI 4 door with the 6 speed DSG a few months ago and love it. Nothing compares to the 2.0 diesel and DSG, its ton's of fun. It was VW certified and comes with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. I think the diesel gate cars are a lot of car for the money. They are also the last of their breed so kinda neat to have a more interesting DD that isn't a Camry, Accord etc.

I think if you can get a certified one, go for it. I would not buy one out of warranty while we find out how the fix holds up. I also would not buy a TDI if you are a short tripper, these like to be driven on the highway, worked hard and get nice and warm.

One last thing, these are also not for the average person that just wants to put gas in them and go. You may have zero issues during ownership but I'd plan on a nice little repair fund if something comes up. TDI's are more expensive to repair than gassers.

The EA 288 '15 models are a one year only engine. A few are now just getting to the 100-150k mile range. a Few scattered issues but comparable to any Subaru or Hyundai etc you may buy. You also have an almost all inclusive 162,000 mile warranty that covers a lot.

No way. Been there, done that, NO WAY!

Diesel costs more than Unleaded so it would have to be like 50 mpg to even start to save a penny. It's so miniscule.

Diesel Particulate Filter issues, High Pressure Fuel Pump issues, timing belts, yuck!

Run!

Originally Posted by Nick1994
No way. Been there, done that, NO WAY!

Diesel costs more than Unleaded so it would have to be like 50 mpg to even start to save a penny. It's so miniscule.

Diesel Particulate Filter issues, High Pressure Fuel Pump issues, timing belts, yuck!

Run!

Usually I'd agree on the maintenance and repairs but all of that (except the belt) is covered in the extended warranty VW put on the fixed dieselgate cars. It's actually a really nice warranty that covers pretty much anything fuel touches and all the emissions parts for out to about 100k, IIRC.

When it comes to diesel,though, you're right. As it stands now you're not saving any money with a diesel car as compared to a similar gasser. Especially given that gas MPGs are way up now.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen

....+1 (quoted for what I have also witnessed from friends and family.)
That's EGR diesels in general. My dad cut his fuel bill in half going from a 2000 GMC G35 extended 5.7 to a 2017 Sprinter 2500 extended 3.0 in city driving, instant gratification.

There is a over supply of these cars currently on the market so the prices are depressed. I think once VW/Audi sell them all and the supplies will move lower over the next year the prices will stabilize even with higher mileage examples. WIth the extended warranty i believe its a no win win at this time. I am personally looking for a A6 or A8 with right options. Dp it life is short.

At times I miss my old TDi but the service needs would keep me away from another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back