Thoughts on 2007 Taurus for $3200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a decent used 2007 Ford Taurus for $3200. Guy wants $3800, but that was his cash minimum at 3200.

The owner works for a transmission shop, said he personally rebuilt the transmission, car has 118k miles, new rear brake lines, new tires, new battery, and all new brakes all around too.

This 09 CV sold at state auction for $1050 with 188k and no known defects. Major issues are disclosed. Every few months a new surplus auction comes up. The next one being in two days.

It's clean. I'd be concerned about the transmission though. He works for a transmission shop and rebuilt it himself is what scares me. Did he rebuild it to unload the car, or did he rebuild as if he was giving the car to his mother? That's an answer you may never know.........

He either bought it for a few hundred from a customer or online, auction, etc. looking to make some money. Funny how he says $3200 is his cash minimum. Why, so he can clear 2k?

I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole! Reason I say this is that I bought a 2005 "low miles" taurus from the first owner last year. It had approx 110K miles on it, had been maintained pretty well however 1 month and 1000 miles in, the tranny starts to shift pretty hard. Take it in to a shop to have it checked out, turns out the transmission is toast and its $2500 for a rebuild. Per the shop owner himself, the taurus transmission (was also used in other ford models at the time) was notorious for low mileage failure.

PS. I paid $2500 for mine, it was a silver SEL model with a sunroof! $3200 for this one is too high.

Mine's a clean low milage example compared to this one, and won't fetch nearly that much

Not worth the $$$

Dwight D. Eisenhower engine, questionable transmission history, relatively high mileage

Not enough goodies/trim level and too high mileage for the $$$

2007 was last year for that body style and was sold to fleet customers only.

I had a couple of those and they were just fine, cheap, basic transportation. Low tech 3.0L Vulcan 12V.

Lots of different opinions... My thinking was that I'm familiar with them pretty well and know that the transmission is a weak point and having it recently rebuilt takes the possibly of worrying about a random transmission failure out of my immediate worry. I had a 99 Taurus that I kept the fluid changed on and I sold it with 145k on the original transmission because I didn't want to replace the heater core and brake lines with the body so rusty.

I would run a carfax to check it's history. Probably spent a good part of its life in a rental fleet being a 2007.

I drove several of these for company cars. They have the worst seats of any car I have ever driven.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Is he willing to throw in some kinda warranty -- at least on the transmission?

This. Ask for a receipt from that shop for the rebuild *in your name* that includes a warranty. The guy will look at you like you're crazy and then you can offer him $2200, take it or leave it.

The title won't be in the sellers name, most likely, so you'll have even less recourse than normal with a private sale.

That car will get cheaper the longer it sits.

It's an 11 year old ford taurus and its transmission can blow up anytime, even though it just got fixed yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back