Mitsubishi Outlander CVT - How Durable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandparents have a 2015 or 16. I've driven it a few times and I must say that I'm not a huge fan of the CVT. Granted, it's my only experience with them (otherwise only driven a manual and automatics), and just one perspective. There is a strange sensation of not being able to coast (the car "grabs" for some reason, slowing quickly, instead of rolling along. I think due to its "ECO Mode", though it's not a hybrid. My grandfather likes the Outlander - his second - but I find it to be not too quiet and not terribly comfortable (for me). He gets good mileage - mid to high 20s on the highway - but is a very careful, sensible driver. Otherwise, cabin materials are nicer looking than you might expect but doors still shut lightly, etc. I'd say go for it, all in all, if you like the CVT.

Just my two cents.

I have a 2017 Outlander Sport. While it only has 3500 miles on it, I do have a few observations.

The transmission is definitely rubber bandy down low in the power band. As it gains steam it becomes smoother. It has those stupid fake shift points that I wish were absent.

As far as longevity, in my town there are a ton of Outlander and Outlander Sports that are up there in age. The mechanic at the dealership says the transmissions are very durable in these, and highly recommends 30K fluid changes.

I love the Mitsubishi's four wheel drive performance. I could not get this thing stuck and I tried. Going up very steep hills with lots of ice and snow on low traffic roads and stopping in the middle of them. Going through large snow drifts and stopping in the middle of them to try and get stuck and the 4wd system works flawlessly.

You will just have to get used to the way the CVT feels until you get the hang of it.

My wife's 15' Corolla has CVT also and it is much smoother and less noticeable than the Mitsu.

Last edited:
I haven't heard of any widespread issues with them like Nissan was having. I know they have a 10 year/100K powertrain warranty just like Hyundai. I think they are a pretty safe bet if you are buying new.

The Mitsubishi Outlander CVT is actually the XTronic made by Jatco. The model name is CVT8. It is a updated model and supposedly much better than the earlier Jatco CVTs which were having issues. Infiniti uses the same cvt.

It does have a sports mode as well.

Only killed by owner abuse, only seen a couple of Outlander trans failures...and the trans wasn't to blame. No one likes CVT, everyone moans about being gutless etc, I think they just need getting used to. I don't like them either, but cars have them and they are here to stay.

The Maxima I hired for the road trip in 2014 had one.

Nissan had given it "gears", so that when not in eco mode, the tacho behaved like there was an automatic, and it was very reassuring visually and emotionally (funny to say, but it made it feel normal)..sport mode manual had selectable, numbered positions that you could tap through.

A friend like them. He and his wife.....
1) 2011 Outlander in white. They fell in love with the car AND the action of the CVT. Honestly NOTHING to report.
After tapping a neighbor's car (who raised a loud and unholy stink) they got spooked and decided to get a newer one.

2) They got a 2013 in medium brown with paddle shifters. They live in a mountainous region and that's the only place to use 'em.
I've driven that car a bunch and gotta say, I have no complaints over the CVT and believe me, I was looking for chattering etc.
The 2.4l 4cyl. (in both of 'em) is a little pale for some "power people" but that's where the economy comes from.
Heck, I drive a 2 ton Volvo wagon with a 168hp engine which everyone calls underpowered so I'm used to it.
I like it when a month (I tally mileage monthly) breaks the 27mpg ceiling. They don't keep close track but claim they get the same overall mileage I do.

3) They traded it in for a 2016 Outlander GT (V-6) in a med. grey/brown. It was the only way to get paddle shifters.
This car does local grocery and many 200 and 700 mile "weekend trips" to visit their grown kids.
They've loved all three and I don't hear anything bad about them. I've seen no broken bits.
All three use 0W-20 oil.

BUT WAIT, THERE"S MORE!

A friend of mine bought the 2011.
I volunteered to do a pan drop and filter change on the CVT @ 92,000.
The fluid was the color of DARK maple syrup.
Changing the filter was completely unnecessary as there were only 2 single bits of shiny metal caught in the stainless steel mesh. Both of these bits of metal could have easily passed through a hole in a small shirt button side-by-side.
I used Amalie Universal Synthetic CVT Fluid.
It continues to shift fine and the pan drop was a year ago.
This car now sees nothing but mountains. The owner commutes "cross Connecticut" on paved animal trails.

Near the glove compartment is a card which operates the keyless remote (needed to start the car).
In the coldest of weather it would occasionally fail to work. Mitsubishi "sorta knew" about the problem.
My friend placed a 25 watt bulb in the car on the floor below the card. The thing never acted up before the return commute-only in the coldest mornings.
It appears Mitsu solved the problem because I never heard about it in the newer two.

Also, there's a small hiccough with the ACC control. It stays where it was set upon start-up.
No further details available as I had a falling out with my pal and communications is spotty.

The 18" tire$ are dear. My friend got a set of 16" Mitsubishi steels and runs studded snows (leftover from another vehicle).
The smaller tire/wheel doesn't look odd.

I hope some of this prattle helps you.

Thank you everyone. I will try one I love my santafe sport .Ihave owned two santafe,s and never had any trouble with them its a tough decision for me.

I believe that is the kind that uses the pusher band style belt.

The other major kind is the chain driven subaru style.

Yep, they are Jatco made units like said above. There's so many of them on the road now, I doubt you'll find statistical data supporting CVTs are more problematic than current day conventional automatics.

Something to ponder. Depending on your usage there are two distinct models of the Outlander. The regular models have the 2.4 four cylinder which is well proven and that is mated to the cvt we have been discussing. The SEL is the fully loaded trim level with the four banger. The GT has a 3.0 V6 which is another time tested engine mated to a six speed Invecs automatic. The GT has the paddle shifters and is fully loaded as is.

I would test drive both trims if you can. For a commuter vehicle with occasional passengers or cargo, the four cylinder will do just fine. Granted it’s not a power monster. But if you are carrying passengers or cargo or whatever, the GT with the six might be a better option.

The Mitsubishi Outlander was at or near the top of the list for our new vehicle having had great success with two Mitsubishi’s in the past. Unfortunately, the only dealer closed up and I was not keen on driving 30 miles to the nearest one hence the Mazda.

Originally Posted By: ernied
Thank you everyone. I will try one I love my santafe sport .Ihave owned two santafe,s and never had any trouble with them its a tough decision for me.
So why get rid of it?

The SE in Canada atleast has the V6 as well. The V6 would be a no brainer but it has a timing belt and recommends premium gas, although no one seems to actually use premium in them. I test drove a '12 and a '14 both with the V6 filled with regular(dealership lot) and they lugged along just fine in top gear with no pinging. But I read if you are towing with the V6 it actaully pays to use premium as the mileage really drops with regular.

The only thing I wish I would have done is get mine with the 2.4L engine. I have the 2.0 and it is a little on the under powered side with only 148 horsepower.

I just want to add that the Mitsubishi Outlander has a Eco mode with its awd system which leaves the system in front wheel drive until the front wheels spin. Normally their Super AWC has torque Vectoring and active yaw control. For a nice day with dry roads this will add extra fuel economy. It’s something most of the others do not have. The Outlander also has a differential lock as well.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
CVTs are here to stay.

I'm okay with that.

But it will be a long time before I get a vehicle with a Nissan spec CVT in it. Subarus are good. Hondas are good. Toyotas are good. Nissan spec JATCO ones are junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back