2009 Camry hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m buying this car tomorrow from private dealership and it has 140k miles on it. They want $7700. Is this good price? They offer extended warranty should I purchase from them or purchase it from somewhere else?

If I do get this car . First thing I’m going to do is change the oil and transmission fuild, coolant change also. Can someone provide me diy for transmission service.

Anything I should look out for? However when I had a hood open I did notice overflow tank was low for antifreeze .

Originally Posted By: Rohan
I’m buying this car tomorrow from private dealership and it has 140k miles on it. They want $7700. Is this good price?

I hope it's a loaded creampuff. Does the dealer provide a carfax?

Overall they're a pretty reliable car, but they do have a history of brake problems: https://www.google.com/search?q=brake+issues+toyota+camry+hybrid The ABS brake actuator warranty is extended to 10-years/150,000 miles.

Does it have to be a Hybrid? $7700 for an almost 9 year old car, that is honestly a very vanilla run-of-the-mill car seems like a lot. If one was looking for a used Camry, it would be a buyer's market given the sheer number of them out there, and I bet some can be had in very good shape with low miles for the same money.

Common issue for the hybrid battery pack to fail at about 10 years. Family member has a 2007 TCH and it had its hybrid battery pack replaced last year.

You can get the toyota Techstream software and a OBDII dongle for modules, and the overall health.

But if you know you're buying that particular car and the price, are you just asking us for validation?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Does it have to be a Hybrid? $7700 for an almost 9 year old car, that is honestly a very vanilla run-of-the-mill car seems like a lot. If one was looking for a used Camry, it would be a buyer's market given the sheer number of them out there, and I bet some can be had in very good shape with low miles for the same money.

That's my thought. The hybrid makes it a bit more unique, especially since IiRC the ones back then were more tuned for higher performance at the same mpgs, than max mpgs. It's just a different tuning dynamic. It may even be a v6, iirc.

The price seems high for what it is. I'd suspect that any chance of a battery pack warranty is gone at 150k if it's not gone already. The pack may be relatively cheap to find as a rebuild, but going in blind, I'd want to have the cost of a replacement factored in. I'm all for hybrid tech, but think these may have missed the mark a bit. Just want to be sure the cost is factored in for a car that is totally unknown.

I'd not pay that much.

It was a $22K car out the door back when it was new. It's lifespan is about 180-200K miles. Put another way, it has 73% of it's life used up. So it's cost should be 27% of new, or just under $6000.

Cost per mile matters. And used cars are often no bargain when it comes to cost per mile.

4cyl Camry's are a dime a dozen and cheap parts wise. I would look a little more and see if you can find a non-hybrid, garage kept,sunday/grocery store cruiser.

To me, that is a $2500 car. $7700 buys a lot of car, if you dig around. Now if you absolutely have to have a hybrid, I still think an aggressive search might find you a better car.

Too much money, and being a private dealer they’re probably weasels. The warranty is probably fake with a bunch of loopholes.

I'd hover around $7K for price. The Camry hybrids seem reliable besides the usual battery/brake concerns. Might have oil burning issues or timing chain slap, which are not uncommon problems in Toyota hybrids(the former is common on the regular Camry and Corolla due to piston ring coking or piston design).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back