2013 VW Passat 3.6 SEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious what opinions and experiences if any, had been had on this car/motor. I found myself a nice looking one with 51k on the ODO and want something that will get me a good 5 years at a clip of 12-15k mi/year and not have to worry about much outside of normal maintenance. Obviously I know there is always a chance of things happening, but I want to read some good reviews!

Thanks! Looking forward to reading the GOOD stuff
grin.gif

I've only drive/worked on 2009 3.6 Passat, and honestly loved them. The VR6 had really good power, the early ones had some intake manifold runner problems.

Having a newer VW in my stable, i'm ready to swap the G35x for a Passat/GTI/Golf R in the near future. VW has gotten a LOT better.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
How much are they asking?

$14,995

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You're not going to have any issues out of that car.

The "infotainment" is laggy though.

Would you mind elaborating a bit on the "laggy"? lol.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz

$14,995
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

$14,995
crazy2.gif

Yeah, really! You can get a brand new one for a couple grand more and it would come with the 6 year/72k bumper to bumper warranty. Used sedans aren't worth squat, no one wants 'em.

The infotainment is a slow P.O.S. Its operation is laggy. You have to experience it first hand. There are software updates from the VW mothership that can improve it slightly. Some units are good but most are merely tolerable in their operation.

The rest of the car, especially with that engine, is rock solid.

Nick, no one wants to hear about how cheap your Hyundai was. We get it.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

The infotainment is a slow P.O.S. Its operation is laggy. You have to experience it first hand. There are software updates from the VW mothership that can improve it slightly. Some units are good but most are merely tolerable in their operation.

The rest of the car, especially with that engine, is rock solid.

Nick, no one wants to hear about how cheap your Hyundai was. We get it.

Ahh okay, I will have to check on that when I look at it first hand...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

$14,995
crazy2.gif

Yeah, really! You can get a brand new one for a couple grand more and it would come with the 6 year/72k bumper to bumper warranty. Used sedans aren't worth squat, no one wants 'em.

Really?? I'd like to see this. Honestly intrigued.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I think he means slow.

LOL... ummm thanks.

MSRP on a base Passat is $22k, I'm sure you can negotiate a bit off. It won't be a 3.6 SEL, but it'll be brand new with a long bumper to bumper warranty.

MSRP on a base Passat is $22k, I'm sure you can negotiate a bit off. It won't be a 3.6 SEL, but it'll be brand new with a long bumper to bumper warranty.

This car is $5 under $15K.. If I wanted a base model with no options I could find a used one for just over $10k. Not looking for that. Considering the 2018 3.6 SEL starts at $35,500- I think $15k for a 2013 isn't a bad deal for everything that you get with the car. JMO. I prefer to have some luxury in my car since I spend a lot of time in it- you just don't get it in those base models. Also, my budget is what my company gives me monthly for a car lol.

I will also note that the market for used sedans is actually pretty solid. There are still a sh*t ton of people that can't afford to buy brand new.

Last edited:

This car is $5 under $15K.. If I wanted a base model with no options I could find a used one for just over $10k. Not looking for that. Considering the 2018 3.6 SEL starts at $35,500- I think $15k for a 2013 isn't a bad deal for everything that you get with the car. JMO. I prefer to have some luxury in my car since I spend a lot of time in it- you just don't get it in those base models. Also, my budget is what my company gives me monthly for a car lol.

I will also note that the market for used sedans is actually pretty solid. There are still a sh*t ton of people that can't afford to buy brand new.

If that's what you want, go buy it! It's a nice car. I'd take a new base over a used loaded, but that's just me.

The price isn't too out of line if you look at others within the mileage and options range. It seems the OP travels alot, and I can see wanting more comfort. VW does do base models well, but I don't think it would suit the OP.

Everybody that I know with a VW says you should be prepared to spend time at the dealer/mechanic.

Speaking of laggy infotainment systems, I noticed the infotainment system in the 2018 Subaru Impreza is laggy while the 2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport is responds quick.
The bluetooth radio in my 2013 GTI is kinda slow, but livable and I don't think about it.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Everybody that I know with a VW says you should be prepared to spend time at the dealer/mechanic.

Maybe they are all going to the same mechanic/dealer and they are really slow there lol. I feel like this goes both ways with anything. I have personally known people to beat the poop out of their VW's and haven't had to do anything outside of normal maintenance, and are well over 100K miles. OTOH, they didn't have the 3.6, that's why I started this thread
smile.gif

my 2013 cpo passat (albeit an s model with 2.5 liter 5 cyl) has been superb. if o.p.’s target is a cpo, or at least with an up to date service history, i wouldn’t hesitate at that price for that v6 engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back