Ioniq vs Niro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was watching reviews of these two, same engine and battery but mpg vary by 6-7. Base Ioniq is 50mpg whereas base Niro is 43mpg. The reviewer claimed the same engine. I wonder if just the shape of the vehicle is responsible for this difference. I admit I didn't pay close attention to the weights.

Does anyone have more info on this? Not that I am considering these vehicles but lifetime battery guarantee is intriguing.

That's what frustrates me with manufacturers... They talk about new products but there is lackluster information and then they wonder why there is slow adoption.

If you find more info let me know. Ioniq sounds great.

The comparison tool at cars.com shows they have similar curb weights (3200) but the Ioniq has a better drag coefficient at .24 versus .29 on the Niro.

I like the looks of the Niro. It's more of an SUV crossover, so I can see that impacting fuel economy.

Niro is a normal wagon/cuv shape, Ioniq is more of a sedan/prius shape.

Also tuning.

Kia usually tunes sportier than hyundai.

Don't forget about the tire size(s) between the two vehicles. The larger/wider(if equipped) tired vehicle will probably have the lesser MPG.

The Niro has slightly wider tires (205 OR 225 vs 195). Niro is also 4" taller. I bet that has a significant influence. That is about 284sq inches more surface area.

Keep in mind that the Niro and Ioniq also varies within its own model line. It seems that the non-economy oriented models drop another 7mpg for the Niro (50 va 43), the non-economy Ioniq drops 4 mpg (58 vs 54).

My bet is that it is a combination of the Niro's more SUV profile, larger tires, and likely more of a responsive (less eco oriented) throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back