2017 Civic vs Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at choosing between a new 2017 Honda Civic touring (to get Honda Sensing) versus a 2018 Toyota Corolla XSE. I like the Honda car a little better but the Toyota dealer better - so it’s a pick-em. The Toyota also comes with a no cost lifetime power train warranty (some special agreement between Toyota and the dealer they said.

Seems to come done to warranty/dealer versus car.

Buy the one you like the best. You will spend more time with the car than with the dealer or service department.

If you have to spend a bunch of time with the service department, it may be a sign to get rid of the car.

The Honda has a nicer performing CVT.
thumbsup2.gif

The Civic is no longer recommended by Consumer Reports and the engine suffers from fuel dilution. I do prefer it over the Corolla in looks, performance etc. But the Corolla should be much more reliable. So in the end that's probably the smart choice.

Second on the Honda fuel dilution issue. Take a look at the Civicx forum. Maybe Honda has it figured out, but it's still a worry.

As a prior 2012 Corolla owner and 2015 Honda accord, I vote for the corolla as well. Build quality and paint quality overall was much better on the Corolla despite being the cheaper of the two. Don't worry about the dealer/service deal, honestly with either choice you won't spend much time in the service dept at all in the long run.

My 2009 Matrix has only been serviced once at a dealer since I've owned it; to replace the Takata passenger side air bag.

Got it with 42k miles. Oil changes and good tires has kept the Matrix running great at 100k miles.

Last edited:
The CVT in the Toyota Corolla is laggy and sloppy at best. Lots of people complaining. (Test drive it before you decide and put it through it's paces)

As for fuel dilution this can be fixed with more frequent oil changes and UOA's to confirm safe interval and/or using Bypass filtration unit. (Minor Trade Off)

In terms of build quality the Civic is Canada's best selling car and there are a ton of them running around here for good long amounts of time. (In some of the worst traffic and worst weather imaginable) There are also lots of Corolla's
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
A thorough test drive in both will give you your answer
19.gif

This was after a cursory test drive of both. I would say the Civic was a nicer drive but the Corolla acquitted itself nicely. I see what y’all are saying about the Toyota CVT. It does concern me ever so slightly that the 1.5 turbo is a brand new engine.

Reliability and warranty versus just about everything else.

Didn’t mention that either one will be the car my son learns to drive in and become the primary driver of in a couple of years.

To the O.P. - Keep in mind that as transmissions wear in they tend to get a bit sloppier so what might be a minor nuance now might be something that will have you wanting to sell the car later.

Also a good point was raised about the "new" engine. Never a good thing to step out on a limb for especially with a Turbo. Too many things can go wrong.

Last edited:
2015 Corolla owner here with 36,xxx mile on it.

It is my wife's vehicle. Here are the pros and cons we have found.

Pros:

--Excellent gas mileage. Going 75mph we achieved 44 mpg on a long road trip. 100% city driving nets over 30. That's pretty good.
--Rides nicely around town and on the highway. Takes bumps like a larger car.
--Fit and finish on the inside are nice for this class. Touch screen is easy to use.
--CVT transmission while laggy from a start, drives nicely once up to speed. Honestly, worlds better than my 2017 OUtlander Sport. Seems like the sweet spot is on the highway. Seems to really scoot from 60-80 mph.
--LED headlights are clear and bright. Nice to have in an economy car.
--Backseat is very roomy compared to last gen Corolla. They really stretched this vehicle over previous generations. Seats a normal sized person comfortably.

Cons:

--CVT transmission fluid is very difficult for a DIY to change himself. Requires fluid temperature monitoring and four quarts of Toyota fluid is 80 dollars. Dealer wants 325 dollars for a change and recommended we do it twice before 100,000 miles. That adds up to a timing belt service people complain about on other vehicles. Arrggghh.

--CVT transmission is quite noisy. When I pull into the garage it is very noticeable.

--Paint seems easy to scratch.

--Seats are a bit firm for my liking, but that is subjective.

Last edited:
Always found the Corolla to have more head and legroom. Friend of mine had a 2013-2014 civic and my head was on the ceiling and knees crushed..yep my 07 has alot more room. If you arent tall/big, it wont matter. Civic will provide a sportier ride, Corolla will be a more touring ride if that makes sense. My friend also had more issues than I had during the 3 years he had it from new. I think it will be based on preferences, i agree, go test drive both and choose the one you would rather spend more time in/ride qualities.

In this class, let's see:

1) Corolla is dull and has the CVT issues
2) Civic has a newish engine and fuel dilution
3) Focus has the truly awful Powershift DCT
4) Cruze has the 1.5T with LSPI history

How about a Mazda 3, Subaru Impreza or Hyundai Elantra?

Originally Posted By: Vibe_2007
2015 Corolla owner here with 36,xxx mile on it.

--CVT transmission fluid is very difficult for a DIY to change himself. Requires fluid temperature monitoring and four quarts of Toyota fluid is 80 dollars. Dealer wants 325 dollars for a change and recommended we do it twice before 100,000 miles. That adds up to a timing belt service people complain about on other vehicles. Arrggghh.

--CVT transmission is quite noisy. When I pull into the garage it is very noticeable.

--Paint seems easy to scratch.

--Seats are a bit firm for my liking, but that is subjective.

Is the CVT fluid replacement required? I didn't see a recommended replacement interval on the Toyota Canada maintenance schedule.

Have you looked into the VWs? They are very competitive right now.

If you really just want a Toyota or Honda, I would probably pick the Toyota. I have had seen 3 different Civic rims that are completely cracked down the middle from hitting pot holes or speed bumps. I can't believe that Honda let those rims out. Also Fuel dilution problems. At least on the CRV in the sig, very easy CVT change.

The one thing I HATE about working on Toyotas is the oil filter, you get oil in your face EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back