Chrysler 300 Daily Driver - Work Car Reliable?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 96' Crown Victoria 4.6 currently has 320,xxx miles and it's starting to rust pretty bad,but it's been an awsome daily driver/work vehicle for us.

We've been checking out Chrysler 300's since there seem to be plenty of them around this area. I need some input on how reliable these are long term wise.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
If you find one that is in good mechanical/electrical condition, go ahead. Chrysler is not reliable.

Trust me,I'm not really a fan of chrysler either,but not many used Crown Vics around this area.

lol.gif

The LX cars are pretty good. They like front-end parts, but other than that, mechanically they are excellent and there isn't a whole heck of a lot electronic that goes wrong on them specifically. Not like the minivans, Pacifica and other vehicles....
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
If you find one that is in good mechanical/electrical condition, go ahead. Chrysler is not reliable.

Trust me,I'm not really a fan of chrysler either,but not many used Crown Vics around this area.

Trust your gut and pass.... Those that rate reliability long term put Chrysler near the bottom so that should tell you something.

If you want that 300k+ mile car maybe look what the local taxis are running - they would be a good indicator of what works long term and not. Or maybe look non-local for another 'Vic.

Not a fan of Chrysler myself either, they have a very poor image in my eyes. They are one of the big 3 tho so that has to say something. I think any manufacturer can build a good car but it's more of a who can build the best car at a given price point.

That being said I only know of one person who was a huge Chrysler fan. Not taking Dodge into the equation just Chrysler as a brand. I've seen more then my fair share of rough running Chrysler's in my life. You can look at it two ways tho. Either they last long enough to get like that or they have a very poor reliability and they nickel and dime the owner.

Ten years ago my niece was testing out one. Her and my brother went there 3 times to test drive it. They thought it was a decent car (fairly new for it's time) they paid $8,000 and it didn't even make it back to the house. I think it was one of those wrong place wrong time things tho. Each time they drove it they ran it hard to see how it would act and it passed with flying colors...

Our 96' Crown Victoria 4.6 currently has 320,xxx miles and it's starting to rust pretty bad,but it's been an awsome daily driver/work vehicle for us.

We've been checking out Chrysler 300's since there seem to be plenty of them around this area. I need some input on how reliable these are long term wise.

your location just says USA, where abouts are you?

My Local Honda/Toyota Dealer, Currently has a gem of an 04 Grand Marquis. looks clean as a whistle, fender badge says "Ultimate Edition", with only 47k mi. $6500.
it's even perfect Granny metallic beige.
http://www.allannott.com/vehicle-details...-oh-id-19700465

The crown vics and grand marquis odometer goes back to zero at 100k ?
Just wondering since i window shop theae for fun !

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
The crown vics and grand marquis odometer goes back to zero at 100k ?
Just wondering since i window shop theae for fun !

Nope,If I had time I'd show you a picture,they stay current as you drive them. Our's has 320,xxx as I type
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: earlyre

your location just says USA, where abouts are you?

My Local Honda/Toyota Dealer, Currently has a gem of an 04 Grand Marquis. looks clean as a whistle, fender badge says "Ultimate Edition", with only 47k mi. $6500.
it's even perfect Granny metallic beige.
http://www.allannott.com/vehicle-details...-oh-id-19700465

Iowa
smile.gif

This is just the "start" to looking for another work/daily driver. I did dig around on Craigslist alittle more tonight and did find some Crown Vic Police cars.We'll see how this thread goes and as it gets closer to winter,then we'll start narrowing our choices down.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
The LX cars are pretty good, I am in no way shape or form a Chrysler fan!!!!

Why the LX Chysler 300 ? Is that the one with the Pentastar V6 ?

All the chrysler hate...... the 300 was a good car. Chrysler has made some duds just like Ford or chevy. No better no worse. My family has always bought chrysler in the entire time over 20 cars there was one lemon a Plymouth horizon. Other than that all of them were pretty good!

The Chrysler LXs have things go wrong that should not go wrong on a RWD car, such as the floor shift linkage ... my neighbor found himself stranded several times away from home in his 300 when he couldn't get it out of Park. Oh, it shifted inside the car, just not on the transmission.
mad.gif

That, along with a host of other maladies, put him into his first Ford in nearly 30 years last year when he traded. He's now driving a Taurus, which has a lot less room but a lot more technology. And FWD.

Originally Posted By: jnewkirk77
The Chrysler LXs have things go wrong that should not go wrong on a RWD car, such as the floor shift linkage ... my neighbor found himself stranded several times away from home in his 300 when he couldn't get it out of Park. Oh, it shifted inside the car, just not on the transmission.
mad.gif

That, along with a host of other maladies, put him into his first Ford in nearly 30 years last year when he traded. He's now driving a Taurus, which has a lot less room but a lot more technology. And FWD.

I worked on one, and there is an aftermarket aluminum part that replaces the plastic piece.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
All the chrysler hate...... the 300 was a good car. Chrysler has made some duds just like Ford or chevy. No better no worse. My family has always bought chrysler in the entire time over 20 cars there was one lemon a Plymouth horizon. Other than that all of them were pretty good!

You post and complain a ton about your Dart. Maybe you are conditioned to the issues as being normal car ownership.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: jnewkirk77
mad.gif

I worked on one, and there is an aftermarket aluminum part that replaces the plastic piece.

The plastic part on the factory shift linkage WILL break, it is not a matter of "if" but "when". The aftermarket metal replacement is the way-to-go when fixing this problem (Chrysler's fix is to replace the entire shift assembly which has the same "destined to fail" plastic part in it and is very expensive). I personally wouldn't wait until the plastic part breaks to replace it.
Stay FAR away from the smaller 2.7L V/6 engine which was standard on the 2010 and earlier 300 LX (the 3.5L is OK), and also stay away from the 2011 and early 2012 3.6L V/6 engine.
HVAC and emission system problems are very common.

Last edited:
I have also heard that later on they start having small problems.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I'd go for another Crown Vic, or Grand Marquis, or Lincoln....with another 4.6L.

Agree. There are 3 Crown Vics available on Carmax.com right now, least used one is 73k miles and $12000.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back