Consensus On New Ford Explorers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw one on fire yesterday sitting on the shoulder of the four lane highway I was traveling. It was burned so bad that the whole paint job had turned ash gray color. Could have been what ever the fire department was using that turned it that color. I think there is a recall on the oil supply tubes for the turbocharger.

Get whichever color your local PD has and steely wheels, stick a bunch of magnetic CB antennas on it and enjoy people getting out of your way.
laugh.gif

Only reason I'd consider an Exploder. Actually the new gen is better looking than any of the old ones to me, but I just hate how carlike it is.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Actually the new gen is better looking than any of the old ones to me, but I just hate how carlike it is.

Looks are subjective, but I think the less car-like the Explorer, the better it looks...
1993-ford-explorer-exterior.jpg

I think the new ones look like an angry, tall Taurus wagon. Probably because they are.

For most buyers, the new ones serve the same function with more comfort and much more efficiency. Capability might even be better if you're talking about driving on slushy roads rather than 4 low off roading. I still think 1991-94 is the best though, followed by 95-01/03 Sport. Simply excellent trucks, just bad MPG and a little more NVH.
grin.gif

Get whichever color your local PD has and steely wheels, stick a bunch of magnetic CB antennas on it and enjoy people getting out of your way.
laugh.gif

Haha AWESOME!
laugh.gif
11.gif

FWD based kills it for me. There are plenty of those on the market. They do look pretty good though, and the interior is spacious. EB is available but so is the NA 3.5.

The AWD is well behaved - and does not torque pull like other FWD's I have driven ...

Originally Posted By: E150GT
The consensus is they are freaking expensive.

This. But my wife loves her ExSport with ecoboost. As for the comment about torque steering I would disagree. Surely not as bad as a dedicated FWD but being a life long RWD pony car and truck driver its an obnoxious characteristic to me and very noticable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Actually the new gen is better looking than any of the old ones to me, but I just hate how carlike it is.

Looks are subjective, but I think the less car-like the Explorer, the better it looks...
1993-ford-explorer-exterior.jpg

I think the new ones look like an angry, tall Taurus wagon. Probably because they are.

For most buyers, the new ones serve the same function with more comfort and much more efficiency. Capability might even be better if you're talking about driving on slushy roads rather than 4 low off roading. I still think 1991-94 is the best though, followed by 95-01/03 Sport. Simply excellent trucks, just bad MPG and a little more NVH.
grin.gif

I like the boxy style also, parents had a blue 93 and a green 97

The wife wanted something smaller, so I got her a '17 Ford Escape, 2.0 Ecoboost AWD with tow package. Rated to tow 3500 lbs, gets 30+ mpg on highway. Towing 1500 lbs I was getting 28 mpg on highway. It has about 6k miles on it now, zero issues. We test drove Chevy Equinox , CRV, Rav-4, Hyundai. I really liked the exterior styling of the Rav4, and the CRV was disappointing overall even though I am a big fan of Hondas. I also wanted to avoid the CVT due to reliability concerns with towing.

You don't pass that much torque via FWD and not feel it - trying to be relative having driven dozens of FWD's
through the years.
The little things I rent don't have and torque to feel in the steering ...

Originally Posted By: E150GT
The consensus is they are freaking expensive.

In those exact words is what comes to mind when I think "Ford Explorer"

laugh.gif

A local PD can't seem to keep theirs out of the repair shop, and on the road. So I think it would just create confusion for people, wondering what it was..

The new Honda Ridgelines look pretty nice as well. I like the new body style more than the previous one. Are they still using the 3.5 V6 in the Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back