need advice on a jeep wrangler for my kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my kid, who has never expressed any interest in cars whatsoever, now says he is saving up to by a Jeep, and by that, I gather he means either a Wrangler or a CJ (he's only going to be able to afford used.)

What are some things to look out for? Are some years better than others, are there some that should be avoided. I assume they all have six or eight cylinder engines and I would want him to have a six, and would want a roll bar.

My dad wouldn't give his Wrangler to my brother. Said it was too dangerous. I'm not sure that's true but I'd want a roll bar for sure. I'd mention that NY Winters are probably no fun in a Wrangler. I never liked riding in ours down in South Texas Winters or summers. I don't think any Wrangler came in V8. I could be wrong.

Ask the kid to do the research? Tell him to go online join some jeep forums, research, ask questions, consolidate info, and give you a report.

If you are helping him pay for it (or at least the insurance or other parts), I think you can have him present to you his findings and defend his research. If he comes back I just want this car, you can ask him to defend his choice and to explain exactly as above, why this model over that model.

Good real life presentation practice for something he wants and not just a school assignment.

Last edited:
You can get one with a four cylinder. Those Jeeps get dismal fuel economy regardless of the engine. The 4 cylinder is rated 19 highway with a stick, the 6 cylinder rated 16 EPA highway with an automatic. They are fun and have a purpose-I'd love to own one. But they are a poor choice if you want something that gets you from point A to point B. A Jeep Wrangler is like riding a dual-sport motorcycle on the pavement = it sucks.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Ask the kid to do the research? Tell him to go online join some jeep forums, research, ask questions, consolidate info, and give you a report.

If you are helping him pay for it (or at least the insurance or other parts), I think you can have him present to you his findings and defend his research. If he comes back I just want this car, you can ask him to defend his choice and to explain exactly as above, why this model over that model.

Good real life presentation practice for something he wants and not just a school assignment.

Good advise.

The CJ and older wrangler are rolling death traps on the road. They have a fake roll bar that crushes into body work.

They have both have stability issues on road and quite easy to roll. I had my parents CJ 7 twice on two wheels on gravel roads at age 17. They are tippy compared to any car and recent SUV even Jeep.

He's young. He'll make mistakes and get into a fender bender, whether his fault or not.
I'd be concerned about his safety.
Any other car than a Jeep is safer.

Why so much Jeep hate? My TJ is not Tippy at all. I drove it 125K as my daily driver. I rides decent...Not a cadillac but decent enough. Power with the 6 cylinder is good. MPg is lacking but thats a jeep thing. The 4 cyl isn't any better on mpg.

Originally Posted By: PeterGreen
So my kid, who has never expressed any interest in cars whatsoever, now says he is saving up to by a Jeep, and by that, I gather he means either a Wrangler or a CJ (he's only going to be able to afford used.)

What are some things to look out for? Are some years better than others, are there some that should be avoided. I assume they all have six or eight cylinder engines and I would want him to have a six, and would want a roll bar.

The budget will dictate the year and engine, among other things. What are you looking to spend?

Last Wrangler that came out with a V8 IIRC was the Golden Eagle - back in the 80s. After '06 it is V6, ('06-'11 was the dismal 3.8, starting in '12 it's the awesome 3.6); 06 and back it is the inline 6 (4.0, great engine) or the 2.4 or if you go back far enough, the 2.5 (bulletproof but very weak at 120hp).

I see there are a lot of wrangler haters here who don't know much about them. I drove a cj wrangler with the 304 v8 engine from camp Pendleton to jersey 4 times in the mid seventies. It was an adventure. I doubt you would be looking for a cj for your son unless you are looking for a project vehicle to work on together.

I would stay away from the UK and the models because they do have s high center of gravity and are easier to roll. The JK model has a longer wider wheels base and are more stable. I would stay away from the 07 model. Some had as the new model issues. I had an 08 sahara jku. The 4 door model. No issues at all until I let my daughter take it to college where it was totaled while parked. I would suggest staying away from the 3.8 engine as many are known to use oil although mine didn't use enough to mention using M1 at 5000 mile oci. The 12 moodel year introduced the pentastar engine and there was a recall on the heads which were replaced and came with a lengthy warranty. My 15 2 door has been flawless in 40000 miles. Wranglers hold there value so initially they are are pricey to get into. If you proceed, look forward one with 3:73 gearing in case your son wants to lift and run 35 inch tires. There is a plethora of aftermarket mods that can keep your son busy. I live in Jersey and run with a soft top year round. As far as safety, look at the doors. They have a sticker that says doors are not for protection but to keep the weather out, or words to that effect. Imho, they are as safe as a Honda civic or similar compact. There will be Jeep clubs in you area to get involved in. I love my Jeep's.

Price insurance for that model for that kid.

A YJ? Grand Cherokee would be a better choice. XJ regular cherokees rock but the newest ones are 14 years old now.

The 4 cyl wranglers come with 3 speed automatic transmissions. Awful!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Why so much Jeep hate? My TJ is not Tippy at all. I drove it 125K as my daily driver. I rides decent...Not a cadillac but decent enough. Power with the 6 cylinder is good. MPg is lacking but thats a jeep thing. The 4 cyl isn't any better on mpg.

Agreed; I bought my TJ in 2002 for a campaign parade car and fully intended to flip it after the election. As it turned out my wife, son, and I all really liked it- and it's been a part of our family ever since.

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
I see there are a lot of wrangler haters here who don't know much about them.
I agree!

Plus if he finds a YJ or TJ with a manual transmission the kid will learn something 90% of his class mates wont. Plus he wont have to worry about other kids driving it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Why so much Jeep hate? My TJ is not Tippy at all. I drove it 125K as my daily driver. I rides decent...Not a Cadillac but decent enough. Power with the 6 cylinder is good. MPg is lacking but that's a jeep thing. The 4 cyl isn't any better on mpg.

Cause they don't own one and don't go off road ...

I'd look for a coil sprung Wrangler with round headlights. No lift kit !!!

Good way to tell the ones that handle well enough.

He can't afford anything newer anyway...

Not sure what kind of budget we're talking about here, but for a newer driver I'd recommend the 2007+ Wrangler Unlimited. This is the 4 door model, usually referred to as JKU in the Jeep community. I'm assuming it will be driven in winter weather since you're in New York. The short wheelbase of the regular 2 door Wrangler can really make winter driving tricky, especially for an inexperienced driver. The longer wheelbase of the JKU will be much better in that department.

We love ours, it's the wife's daily driver. It has a mild lift and 33" tires. I also just installed a Trektop NX soft top.

I have a 2003 Jeep TJ. While it is getting old, I have gotten my value out of it.
The inline 6 doesn't burn a drop of oil, though it has developed a tick.
The clutch is original. Alternator, fuel pump, water pump, all original. In fact, with the exception of the radiator, that I replaced 6000 miles ago, all components are original. Mileage is 220,600.

Rust is a concern, I've seen some real rust bucket TJs in this neck of the woods. I have a JK and love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back