New bulbs - brighter to replace factory

Status
Not open for further replies.
07 highlander base. Would like more light the bright white to replace the factory bulbs. Open for help. Thank you. jz

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by jackz
07 highlander base. Would like more light the bright white to replace the factory bulbs. Open for help. Thank you. jz

Silverstars aren't bad, but you will have to replace them more often. Silverstar Ultras go bad really fast, avoid those.

Looks like it takes 9006 lows & 9005 highs. The only [halogen] upgrade that'll give you more lumens is the 9012 & 9011 mod. Overdriven bulbs have a short life and the "white" light fools your eyes into thinking they're brighter, when in actuality they are not.

Originally Posted by mclasser
Looks like it takes 9006 lows & 9005 highs. The only [halogen] upgrade that'll give you more lumens is the 9012 & 9011 mod. Overdriven bulbs have a short life and the "white" light fools your eyes into thinking they're brighter, when in actuality they are not.

In the middle of the 9005 to 9011 mod right now. Consensus seems to be Philips are best next Sylvania and Wagners are junk.

look + read + learn on a lighting forum for truthful upgrades! eastern beaver has relays to eliminate the lighter wiring that robs lighting output. todays can-bus wiring is another issue as there is lots to know + get right

Last edited:
Had the bright white bulbs in my wifes car but we get so many foggy mornings and evenings that you can't see anything with them. I switched them back to Sylvania Halogens and all is good in the fog now.

Originally Posted by mclasser

This.

I've toyed with the 9012 mod in the past but I would only get a year or two out of them. They are also still a 3600-3800k yellow color similar to stock halogens but slightly brighter. LED headlights have come a long way since, has a nicer bluish white color temp, brighter and are affordable.

I would purchase of a set led headlights such as these by Auxito. They currently have a 15% off as a bonus.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WCS6GN1/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_stk5DbJ6FKJZR

Recently installed a set of these in a projector headlight vehicle and they did very well - brighter due to the thin chip board and the fans were far less noisy than a competitors.

Last edited:
No one mentioned this but since it's almost a 15 year old car, make sure your headlamps are actually clear and not hazy/yellowed. No bulb behind a hazy/yellowed lens will give you much of a performance boost.

FYI I just received 2 Wagner 9011s from Amazon and the filaments are dead straight and centered viewed from any angle. If misaligned filaments is the only complaint against Wagner bulbs either I got lucky or maybe they aren't Philips seconds? Was set to send them back but I'm going to use them.

That's good. The filament being misaligned is generally the most obvious thing that can be seen. Bulbs are checked by machine for geometry, so I doubt Philips is just randomly throwing good bulbs out to Wagner instead of selling them at inflated prices. Bulbs are also tested to ensure they put out, in this case, 2,500+/-15 % (2125-2875) lumens at 13.2 volts. In other words, a 9011 bulb can be putting out levels of light similar to a good 9005 bulb (1636-2083 lumens), or levels of light exceeding a HID (D2R, 2350-3230 lm) bulb! Quite a large range!

Sometimes manufactures will just want the bulbs falling within +/-10%. Sometimes they just want the ones above a certain threshold. It really depends on the manufacture--let's say I started selling double-packs of 9011 bulbs...I might just package any two 9011s together. Or I might try to only package 2600+ lumen 9011s together, so customers aren't complaining that one brand new bulb appears way dimmer than the other. But this isn't as easily observed as a crooked filament is with the naked eye.

In any case, the fact that the filament is aligned is a good sign, and I wouldn't have any qualms about running them myself. I doubt you'll notice any major differences between the two either. Looks like you just saved yourself a bit of $.
thumbsup2.gif

Good deal, I'll probably look more into Wagner 9011s now, and hoping I get similarly good bulbs.

Do let us know how they work out for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Randy_R
Originally Posted by rat
PHILIPS Extreme vision.

Agree

9011 and 9012 both blow 9005 and 9006 Philips Extreme Vision bulbs out of the water.

A +30 9005 will put out ~1870 lumens, and a +30 9006 will put out ~1095 lumens. A 9011 puts out ~2300, and a 9012 puts out ~1870.

Source

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back