Micro guard MGL57356 major baseplate defect

Customer brought in this filter to change on a Honda Pilot this morning. As I was threading it on, it went on completely crooked, like FUBAR level bad. First tome seeing something like this.

8BDE5F07-1EF6-47CC-B60C-98C0B51D7ED2.jpeg

Originally Posted by Imp4
What's wrong with it?

Threads are not straight, leading to it going on the filter housing, but sideways and does not come anywhere near sealing.

Originally Posted by Imp4
What's wrong with it?

Looks like the threads do not go all the way to the opening.
[Linked Image]

It just ends up cross threading since the threads on the car side will try to grab onto something.

Wix, which has their own factory separate from any other company.
Since there is no evidence what has happened with this filter before it was brought in to use there is no one to blame. It could very well have been a store return and some yahoo was trying to make it fit on something. There is that score on the base like it was tightened down on something it shouldn't have been. Jumping to conclusions Is so easy.

The score on the base plate was most likely from the OP from installing the filter and then discovering the problem he's describing.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The score on the base plate was most likely from the OP from installing the filter and then discovering the problem he's describing.

Yes, thank you. It would thread on normal, but completely sideways which threw me off. The filter was untouched until I took it out the box. Definitely a problem from the manufacturer.

Originally Posted by Samrsnow

Yes, thank you. It would thread on normal, but completely sideways which threw me off. The filter was untouched until I took it out the box. Definitely a problem from the manufacturer.

What made the circular score mark? So the filter looked fine out of the box is a bit of a change to the story. That's fine, Someone mangled the thread and scored the base though. I assume if the thread was made tilted the someone tried to force it on straight? It would have been better to put another filter on.

It's a old habit I have. I inspect any filter before it goes on the car, preferably at the place where I buy it. I do the same with most things I purchase.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth

What made the circular score mark?

I'd bet the mounting spud on the engine.

What made the circular score mark? So the filter looked fine out of the box is a bit of a change to the story. That's fine, Someone mangled the thread and scored the base though. I assume if the thread was made tilted the someone tried to force it on straight? It would have been better to put another filter on.

No. I didn't check the base plate before attempting to install. As I said it would thread on normally with no problem but crooked. The filter must have gone on to the machine that threads the filters the wrong way and QC didn't catch it. I did not cause the scoring because in not way did I force the filter on, it actually spun on so the idea someone returned it after trying to put it on something else is bunk.

I do not believe anyone thinks you did anything wrong here man... I sure don't...

It appears that the circular mark on the filter could have came from the spud... Like Zee said. And that makes sense.

I believe you are right... It was just a bad apple in the box. It happens once in awhile.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth

There shouldn't be anything on the engine able to even touch the plate. Plus, those marks are deep. No way could that happen by hand.

It was threaded crooked and as a result, something was hitting the plate that shouldn't have been during the manufacturing process.

Back