Fram UG XG in Navistar PowerStroke 6.0l

Greetings,
Back when I lost access to BITOG 4 years ago, the general consensus for oil filter superiority was Fram Ultra Xtra Guard, having wound fiberglass media with 5 micron particulate capture and retained high flow rate. I've been using them ever since without issue and with complete confidence.

Fast forward to today - boy goes out and buys a used Ford SuperDuty F250 with the Navistar 6.0l PowerStroke diesel engine. These had HEUI fuel injectors, actuated by high pressure engine oil from the common oil pan. I would think cleanliness is of utmost importance to HEUI fuel systems. They were known for sticky injector pintles from degraded and / or oversaturated engine oil. As early as 50,000 miles. This is from research I did.

I searched BITOG for some history on oil filter types for this engine, but couldn't come up with anything. The engine was built from 2003 - 2008. Any reason you can think of not to use Fram Ultra Extra Guard synthetic oil filter?

Thanks

Are these filters rated for use on a field engine ? I would suggest fleetguard stratopore filters.

Last edited:
Don't run the oil too long would be #1. As well as an at least a oem quality air filter and a sealed intake plumbing.

Thanks.
Just found out 6.0l PowerStroke has a cartridge filter, not spin-on can. Changes the game somewhat. Fram does not offer cartridge filter in 100% Ultra. They offer ToughGard blended element - fiberglass / cellulose,

Motorcraft FL-2016 cartridge oil filter is only 80% efficient @ >20 microns. A real rock-catcher, nothing special. Says nothing about media construction.
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/filters/oil-filters/kit-element-gasket-oil-filter-6269615-1
Perhaps to reduce flow restriction? But if element is too coarse, it's not really doing anything but saving engine from a major internal chunking which is unlikely.

From Fram website for Motorcraft FL-2016 replacement TG9549:
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
- Designed for premium conventional and synthetic oil.
- Engineered with a new stronger, more durable media to provide an outstanding 99% dirt trapping efficiency.*
- Tough Guard adds microscopic synthetic fibers, creating small windows that trap the microscopic dirt particles without affecting the flow of oil.
*FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency of PH8A, 3387A and 4967 or equivalent FRAM TG or XG models under ISO 4548-12 for particles greater than 20 microns.

^^^ Yeah, the TG is just a hair less efficient than the Ultra. TG is 99% >20u and XG is 99+% >20u. Not enough difference to worry about.

Got it, thanks. Couldn't find the Ultra, only TG or EG. Both claim they have glass fiber media blend.

Other blogs warn of quality issues with anti-drainback valves, as this is an inverted filter. Don't want to start this engine dry everytime. Maybe I should just source Motorcraft. I've seen commentary claiming MC is made by Parker Racor. Supposedly HEUI injectors are fed oil via a separate sump system?

Man, this engine is a real piece of work.

Yes here it is again. This test was on the same engine. If you want clean oil get a Frantz or there are others, like Amsoil. There isn't a lot to be argued against the test here. Plus it takes out water if the cellulose element is used.

https://www.frantzfilters.com/science/

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Got it, thanks. Couldn't find the Ultra, only TG or EG. Both claim they have glass fiber media blend.

Other blogs warn of quality issues with anti-drainback valves, as this is an inverted filter. Don't want to start this engine dry everytime. Maybe I should just source Motorcraft. I've seen commentary claiming MC is made by Parker Racor. Supposedly HEUI injectors are fed oil via a separate sump system?

Man, this engine is a real piece of work.

Motorcraft filter is Racor.

Take a look a Baldwin, Donaldson, or Wix. They all make pretty stout diesel oil filters for a many Diesel engines. You'll be doing 5k changes due to HEUI system might as well order several online at a time to save money. Amazon, EBay, Fleet Filter, Cross Filters, etc.

Boy found a mechanic that's worked on PowerStroke 6.0 over the years. He recommends WIX synthetic (wound fiberglass) oil filter with the custom cartridge cap that is supposed to be dimensionally accurate to seal the anti-drainback valve. It requires removing the OEM filter cartridge cap. I found that Navistar and/or Ford patented the oil filter cartridge design to try to corner the oil filter replacement market. Which is against the law, of course.

BITOG past year's post on this are all over the map on which aftermarket vendors did a good job replicating the assembly with a different length filter to get around the patent protection. Don't know if WiX is a good one, but apparently this mechanic has had good luck with them. I had already bought a Motorcraft for him though.

I can't believe they got away with patenting an oil filter design with no sigificant benefit. This engine is a hot mess.

I can't believe they got away with patenting an oil filter design with no significant benefit.

Well a patent has never been something that proves efficacy or benefit, either significant or less than significant. A patent demonstrates novelty and nothing more. When I worked in a corporate research facility I saw at least one patent awarded for a device that was novel but did absolutely nothing worthwhile. There are many patents for completely useless inventions.

That's why when a vendor or seller of some product touts a patent I almost always start to tune out. It sounds impressive to the average Joe perhaps but it doesn't mean a thing in regards to whether it does what it's claimed to do or not. Kind of like saying it was "tested by the U.S. military" or "used on the Space Shuttle", all of which may be true but doesn't mean it is appropriate for another application or even all that effective.

I'm not a fan of synthetic cartridge filters. We see more if not all the issues with Fram XG filters from European cars, but after seeing how they fail, no thanks. The media separates from the plastic resin end caps. I must confess I haven't seen any lately, but who knows. I have no interest in trying them in anything I service with a cartridge.

It'd be OE for me on this application for sure.

If these are known for tearing up oil, I'd do a 5k OCI then do a used oil analysis and go from there. I believe the factory interval is 7.5, but if there's issues it may be too much. Not sure if synthetic would help with these or not. Certainly wouldn't hurt, but it's like 4 gallons of oil too. Also not sure if coking is an issue either?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I'm not a fan of synthetic cartridge filters. We see more if not all the issues with Fram XG filters from European cars, but after seeing how they fail, no thanks. The media separates from the plastic resin end caps. I must confess I haven't seen any lately, but who knows. I have no interest in trying them in anything I service with a cartridge.

It'd be OE for me on this application for sure.

If these are known for tearing up oil, I'd do a 5k OCI then do a used oil analysis and go from there. I believe the factory interval is 7.5, but if there's issues it may be too much. Not sure if synthetic would help with these or not. Certainly wouldn't hurt, but it's like 4 gallons of oil too. Also not sure if coking is an issue either?

Factory OCI recommendation is 5k severe service, 7.5k normal service. Their definition of severe service includes biodiesel use, which is mandatory up here in farm country.

Since I've been away 4 years, what's happened with Fram XG? It was the hands down consensus best filter back in 2015. Cummins even mandated Fleetguard Synthetic filters for some applications.

Since I've been away 4 years, what's happened with Fram XG? It was the hands down consensus best filter back in 2015.

Pretty much still is.

I've read this entire thread and seen a lot of general replies... most lead me to believe that they haven't ever dealt with or serviced a 6.0L, and that worries me from an advise standpoint. HEUI diesels are not your typical diesel... they are highly dependent on proper oil pressures to be delivered not just to the engine, but also to the injectors at all times (including during bypass events). I owned & maintained a 2005 6.0L for ten years... during which I invested heavily into it to "bulletproof" it and make it what I could. When it comes to filters (oil, fuel, and air) - this one is simple... use OEM Motorcraft / Racor ONLY. Reason being? As one person did mention - the oil cap was designed by Racor to work in conjunction with the Racor/Motorcraft oil filter from a dimension standpoint, and yes it was patented. Many aftermarket filters would not properly actuate the bypass valve. WIX tried to get around this by designing a longer oil filter cap, which in theory is fine, but do you want to trust an engine that is completely dependent on oil pressure to an aftermarket filter design that hopefully provides the same pressure performance? Again - think about bypass events and proper oil pressure. And - what happens if (for whatever reason) a non-WIX filter is put under that longer cap? Short answer - bad things.

Also... the OEM Motorcraft/Racor filter is not 80% efficient at 20 microns as someone referenced earlier in the thread... it's 95% at 20 Microns. https://powerstrokediesel.com/docs/sellsheets-3.pdf OK - so it's not 99+% Efficient like the Ultra or TG... I yield on that. But given the facts of the engine design, what matters more? Higher filtration numbers? Or a properly functioning oil system?

Racor filters can often be found for a bit less than the Motorcraft equivalent if you order online. https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com...r-turbo-powerstokediesel-oil-filter.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Since I've been away 4 years, what's happened with Fram XG? It was the hands down consensus best filter back in 2015.

Pretty much still is.

What to make of dlundblad's post, then?

Originally Posted by sdude2k2000
Also... the OEM Motorcraft/Racor filter is not 80% efficient at 20 microns as someone referenced earlier in the thread... it's 95% at 20 Microns. https://powerstrokediesel.com/docs/sellsheets-3.pdf OK - so it's not 99+% Efficient like the Ultra or TG... I yield on that. But given the facts of the engine design, what matters more? Higher filtration numbers? Or a properly functioning oil system?

https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/ford-parts/resources/motorcraftpdf/Oil_Filters.pdf

See the video below at time 1:40. USCAR-36 spec says the filter must remove at least 95% of particles >30 microns. At one time, Motorcraft actually showed their filters were 80% @ 20u, but apparently they have increased the efficiency since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4at4X8TZOlw

Positive displacement oil pumps don't really care if Filter A has a few more PSI of delta-p than Filter B. The same oil flow rate going to the engine will exist unless the filter is so restrictive that it makes the positive displacement oil pump hit pressure bypass - which would take a lot of flow resistance (most likely to happen with cold thick oil).

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
sdude2k2000 said:
Positive displacement oil pumps don't really care if Filter A has a few more PSI of delta-p than Filter B. The same oil flow rate going to the engine will exist unless the filter is so restrictive that it makes the positive displacement oil pump hit pressure bypass - which would take a lot of flow resistance (most likely to happen with cold thick oil).

I fully understand how oil pumps work... I'm talking about the oil cap and filters not properly fitting beneath it - thus not properly actuating the bypass valve when needed. The HEUI system isn't that forgiving to poor oil pressure... and a new injector runs $350/piece. Never once have I seen an OEM Racor-made, patent stamped, filter cause oiling issues (as long as it's also paired with the OEM canister cap), but you can look for yourself to find all the stories of aftermarket filters for this application causing them... and I've seen them myself. I personally use a Fram XG on my wife's Fusion in my signature... and I use Mahle on my Prius. I'm not a guy to beat the "buy only OEM" drum without merit... in this case - there's plenty of merit. It's not worth the potential repair bill on this motor just to get bragging rights about filter efficiency... 95% at 20 microns IS the Racor spec for this filter. No it's not the best of the best, but it's also pretty darn good.

I'd recommend spending the time, energy, and money flushing the cooling system and getting some ELC in there... installing a coolant filter while you're at it... ensuring the rig's FICM (fuel injection control module) is running at proper voltages and replacing it immediately if it's not... getting rid of (or at least upgrading) the stock EGR cooler... upgrading the underpowered alternator if it's stock... and getting some form of monitoring installed so you can keep an eye on oil temps, coolant temps, voltages, etc. Then - just hope that your TTY head bolts hold and you don't start pushing cooling out your coolant cap. The oil filter is such a no brainer in this case... OEM.

My comment was about your statement of: "... what matters more? Higher filtration numbers? Or a properly functioning oil system?"

It sounded like you think that higher efficiency filters cause more restriction, and the they will cause the oiling system to not function correctly. They won/t unless they are so restrictive that they cause the PD oil pump to hit pressure relief ... which would take a lot of restriction in an oil filter.

Originally Posted by sdude2k2000
I fully understand how oil pumps work... I'm talking about the oil cap and filters not properly fitting beneath it - thus not properly actuating the bypass valve when needed. The HEUI system isn't that forgiving to poor oil pressure...

Pretty much every vehicle on the road has the oil pressure sensor located after the oil filter. Which means that as long as all the oil volume coming out of the PD pump (ie, the pump is not in pressure relief), then the oil pressure should be the same regardless if some of the oil is bypassing the oil filter. Now if the filter was clogged, and the bypass valve was suck and not opening like it should, then it's possible that could cause the PD pump outlet pressure to hit pressure relief which would cut oil volume and hence pressure at the oil pressure sensor. But as long as the flow is the same at the sensor then the oil pressure will be the same if the sensor is located after the filter.

Back