Fram Ultra Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Before X-mas I bought a 6 pack of Fram Ultra XG8A from Ebay for my 4.0 Jeep ($24.00 shipped!). Seemed like a great deal. These are the 15,000 mile filters. Just opened 1 up to fill with oil and it rattled. I can shake it and something is loose in the bottom of the can. The others don't rattle. Later I will saw it open to check it out. Installed one with Havoline oil, no leaks or noise. Wonder if anyone has had this experience. The knowledge on this site is incredible. Thanks.

Based on the description, reads like a compromised compression spring. Been at least one other similar anecdote posted here before. I would not use it. Return for replacement if possible.

Cause of other similar anecdote was claimed filter dropped at some point prior to use. To his knowledge, purchaser said otherwise.

This is an issue with them. loyalists try to sweep it under the rug. To me it's just another oil filter. The element is heavy so it can knock the spring harder. It's a lot heavier with the thick mesh. This is where a coil spring is better.

You still got 5 filters for under $5 each. Wow. I wouldn't complain about that one bit. Normally these 6 packs sell for $36-$40 on line.

Thank you all for the replies. Yeah I wont use it, but sending it to Fram is a good idea. The box has the Mileage minder thing stuck inside, filters don't look abused, boxes are shelf worn, counterfeit, that would be interesting.... Chris142, thanks for all the Jeep 4.0 info you post at BITOG and Jeep sites, helps me out alot. Take care guys, If I get a respond from Fram, I will post back. Ken

Originally Posted by 69GTX
You still got 5 filters for under $5 each. Wow. I wouldn't complain about that one bit. Normally these 6 packs sell for $36-$40 on line.

Yes a decent deal, however these are NOS. New ones are 20,000 mile. I change filter every oil change for piece of mind so mileage capability is of no concern.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Chris142
Send it in. They may send you extras for your troubles.

Or perhaps tell you its a counterfeit.

Sounds possible.

Be interested in finding out if they are the real Frams.

Not the anecdote I was thinking of/referencing earlier, another one with same filter, similar description linked. Topic XG8A is a relatively large filter application too.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4611938/1

Being more a believer in Accam's Razor and less in conspiracy theories and tin foil hats, similar anecdote added I'll stick with previous explanation, compromised compression spring.

While all filter brands can fail, the leaf spring is a deal breaker other than that is a great filter for the money.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Not the anecdote I was thinking of/referencing earlier, but another one with same filter, same description linked. Topic XG8A is a relatively large filter application too.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4611938/1

Being more a believer in Accam's Razor and less in conspiracy theories and tin foil hats, similar anecdote added I'll stick with previous posit, compromised compression spring.

You mean Occam's Razor? Wait til you run into Bell's inequality. Shows that even Einstein could have been wrong although the basic premise of the EPR paradox may still stand in that it could still be considered incomplete.

And people get so excited about cutting filters open after they've been in use ! If anyone bad is found, it's too late now !

Originally Posted by 762fermeandyou
Hi all,

Before X-mas I bought a 6 pack of Fram Ultra XG8A from Ebay for my 4.0 Jeep ($24.00 shipped!). Seemed like a great deal. These are the 15,000 mile filters. Just opened 1 up to fill with oil and it rattled. I can shake it and something is loose in the bottom of the can. The others don't rattle. Later I will saw it open to check it out. Installed one with Havoline oil, no leaks or noise. Wonder if anyone has had this experience. The knowledge on this site is incredible. Thanks.

One doesn't get 6 Fram Ultras for $4 each, unless something is wrong or off-kilter with them. It could be paint - maybe torn media - innards loose, partially cut ADBV..... there's something wrong (or) something off, with it.

That's Ebay's M.O. with manufacturer items. Their just not 100% correct / original of what's in normal retail stores. If you can get it returned - at no cost to you, that's great.

Last edited:
I bought a 6 pack of Ultra on Ebay. One was dented and had a hair like particle where you screw it on. Too busy to address with vendor. Just put it aside to cut open. All other filters looked great. I would address this with the vendor. Part of getting low priced Ultra's on Ebay.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Hi all,

One doesn't get 6 Fram Ultras for $4 each, unless something is wrong with them. It could be paint - maybe torn media - innards loose, partially cut ADBV..... there's something wrong (or0 something off, with it.

That's Ebay's M.O. with manufacturer items. Their just not 100% correct / original of what's in normal retail stores. If you can get it returned - at no cost to you, that's great.

I will call Fram Monday and see what they will do. Usually I run Napa Silver or Gold. Decided to try Ultra's because they were cheap and highly regarded as a great filter.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Hi all,

One doesn't get 6 Fram Ultras for $4 each, unless something is wrong with them. It could be paint - maybe torn media - innards loose, partially cut ADBV..... there's something wrong (or0 something off, with it.

I will call Fram Monday and see what they will do. Usually I run Napa Silver or Gold. Decided to try Ultra's because they were cheap and highly regarded as a great filter.
If you bought it from SAE Auto (or similar) on eBay, send them a message-they will likely send you a new one. The issue is, they (not Fram) don't package the filters properly, and inevitably (for me) one or 2 get dented, or the leaf spring collapses, causing the rattle. Those 6 packs are all returns from retailers or elsewhere that somebody sent back & the eBay reseller got a really great deal on, like 100s of them. Fram may (or may not) give you anything with the bad one if the eBay reseller tells you to keep it.

Thank you all for the replies. Yeah I wont use it, but sending it to Fram is a good idea. The box has the Mileage minder thing stuck inside, filters don't look abused, boxes are shelf worn, counterfeit, that would be interesting.

Who knows how these filters have been handled along the way over the years they've been shuffled around. Could have been dropped while out of the box, or in the box. If a box hit the floor flat it probably wouldn't show damage, but could cause inertial impact force on the filter. Any filter with a leaf spring if dropped may suffer loose guts syndrome (as mentioned by bullwinkle above).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back