Hastings cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is off of a 2014 Ford police interceptor with the 3.7 engine. It was in use for 3,000 miles with unknown oil. Replaced it with a Baldwin B7449 which should be the same thing with a different color.

20200205_100917.jpg

20200205_100925.jpg

20200205_100942.jpg

20200205_100947.jpg

20200205_100957.jpg

20200205_101013.jpg

I wonder if Hastings and Baldwin are the same. They look the same. I guess it feasible a company would make identical filters with different names and paint to satisfy loyalists to the brands but otherwise why would they?

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
I wonder if Hastings and Baldwin are the same. They look the same. I guess it feasible a company would make identical filters with different names and paint to satisfy loyalists to the brands but otherwise why would they?

You mean like WIX & NAPA and Purolator & Bosch and Purolator & fill in the blank. Pretty common in the oil filter industry.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

You mean like WIX & NAPA and Purolator & Bosch and Purolator & fill in the blank. Pretty common in the oil filter industry.

I thought of that. That's why I made sure in this case it isn't the same as your examples.

Hastings is marketed towards the regular consumer. While Baldwin is marketed towards Farmers, OTR, and other heavy duty engines.

Both come from the same factory, owned by the same company in Kearny, Nebraska.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

Hastings is marketed towards the regular consumer. While Baldwin is marketed towards Farmers, OTR, and other heavy duty engines.

I realize that but am talking about them making the same filter with a different name for themselves. If they are the same. Champ Labs is another one but not so exact with their Luberfiner and other brands. I have bought Baldwin from Zoro and sometimes the Hastings was more. Hastings used to be a totally different filter and used to use them sometimes in the past. I still don't know why they make the two lines if the same except to supply old timers who are stuck on a brand.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

Think that plant makes some big yellow filters that get marked up for the three letter name on the side.

Have the red B7449 on my Z71

They have a JV with Donaldson as well … seems to depend on the size of filter …

7E5C8FE9-8846-4EF9-89BF-5392FB1D9AAF.png

Last edited:
Parker Racor owns Baldwin and Hastings. For my 3500, I use a random mix of the same filter. The prices vary wildly. The only difference is the color.

Actually it's Baldwin-Hastings-Casite. Still don't know the reason for it. Maybe they are not the same. Not like Wix-Napa-whatever. which is selling to another company to resell with their own label.

The most interesting Hastings were their depth type, would like to see pics of one of those cut open. Wonder what happened that they stopped making them when sold to Clarcor or whatever company it was then. Companies change ownership like popcorn.

The red Baldwin filters look better and therefore add more horsepower. That is pretty much settled science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back