Wix/NAPA Gold and M+H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Mann+Hummel bought Wix, the oil filters (specifically, the NAPA Gold) have lost the coil spring keeping the guts away from the bottom of the can. M+H dumped the coil in favour of a leaf spring.

I remember videos decrying oil-filter leaf springs, and one in which a new leaf-spring filter sounded like a spray-paint rattle can. (I don't recall the brand of filter.)

I have used NAPA Golds virtually exclusively for a decade (discounts with my CAA card; not so with Wix).

Possible anti-leaf-spring marketing snow job aside, how serious is that switch, along with the anti-drain-back mod since M+H bought Wix?

I presume cheaper, stamped leaf springs help M&H brass make their boat payments on time.

Since all other brands I know of (including premium, rock catchers and premium rock catchers, use leaf springs, perhaps I should switch to Fram Ultras and be done with it — the Purolator maker does not inspire confidence.

2011 video of an unused NAPA Gold cut open.
https://youtu.be/YcJ0pp2pneY

2019 video of an unused NAPA Gold (and Platinum) cut open.
https://youtu.be/dwfTC1H1poQ

The 2019 Platinum certainly does not inspire confidence. As of Aug. 4, 2019, it still uses a coil spring, though that hardly negates the rest of its alleged M+H shortcomings.

Last edited:
All Frams use the leaf spring design too. There are way more oil filters using a leaf spring on the road vs a coil spring.

Really? This post doesn't prove a thing. It's been established that the NAPA Gold 1334 and Wix 51334 are made by M+H in Korea. They are essentially the same as a Hyundai/KIA OE filter. As for the Platinum/XP version I have no idea where they are made but, it has the classic Wix construction. I put a NAPA Gold 1348 on my Escape this past week and it has the classic construction with the coil spring.

Did not know there was a switch to the leaf spring style. Must be recent because I don't recall seeing any off hand, but the video clearly shows one in that model gold.
The switch from thread end to dome end bypass on some of there filters happened quite a while back, possibly before the M+H buyout?

Originally Posted by MParr
Really? This post doesn't prove a thing.

What did you expect it to prove?
Does 1+1=2?
That doesn't prove a thing!

Last edited:
Since Mann+Hummel bought Wix, the oil filters (specifically, the NAPA Gold) have lost the coil spring keeping the guts away from the bottom of the can. M+H dumped the coil in favour of a leaf spring.

You are cherry picking. You have zero proof that WIX has gone to leaf type springs in their filter cans, across all models. Selectively picking the 51334 and the NG 1334 only proves that those are being sourced from the M+H plant in S.Korea.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4993030/new-wix-51334-design
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4977894/napa-pro-select-21334-new-design

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MParr
...You are cherry picking. You have zero proof that WIX has gone to leaf type springs in their filter cans, across all models. Selectively picking the 51334 and the NG 1334 only proves that those are being sourced from the M+H plant in S.Korea….
Spot on. Because M&H apparently decided to consolidate "one" Wix/Napa Gold application with their same application current Hy/Kia oem, does NOT extrapolate to the whole line now doing the same. Majority Wix/Napa Gold spin on sold in US still maintain their traditional/same construction, and made in Gastonia NC. However in my observation this subforum, response to the newer 5/1334, 21334 has generally been very positive.

So the unsubstantiated leap to all Wix/NG this thread purports, has no basis in fact. As for the leaf/flat vs coil spring, both can function to hold the internals in place. And all companies market/promote features that show thier products in the best light. Nothing particularly revelatory in that. Seen very similar 'type' promotion for leaf/flat spring on this board multiple times.

All that said, lots filter brands to choose from. Don't like that M&H now owns Wix, even though no drop off in quality shown this board and ime, use something else. Considering topic tone, perhaps as noted a Trico owned Fram product with a flat/leaf spring would be suited to your current tenents.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
All Frams use the leaf spring design too. There are way more oil filters using a leaf spring on the road vs a coil spring.

Yep.

Makes no difference to me whether it's a leaf or coil spring. Quality of the filtering media is more important.

Originally Posted by mpack88
What's wrong with a leaf spring?

01.gif

Agreed!
I sure wish that OP would provide some sort of substantial argument for why leaf springs are a bad thing.

I see no problems with them whatsoever.

From what others have said on the topic, the leaf spring is more rigid but can be damaged with a hard drop, and the coil provides pressure no matter what. There have been quite a few cases reported of rattling oil filters where the element is loose. As bad or worse a defect than a torn pleat IMO.

Don't drop your leaf spring filters folks. Wait -- don't drop any filter.

What I want to know is this..... is the 266304-35504 Hyundai filter at dealer or Walmart, the exact same filter as Wix 51334?

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
From what others have said on the topic, the leaf spring is more rigid but can be damaged with a hard drop, and the coil provides pressure no matter what. There have been quite a few cases reported of rattling oil filters where the element is loose. As bad or worse a defect than a torn pleat IMO.

All components will have some failure modes inherent to their design. Leaf spring and coil spring adbv components are no different.
I'm sure many here could list off several unique failure modes associated with coil springs, so I'll leave that exercise to the group.

The facts are, leaf spring design is widely adopted throughout the industry, it is proven to be robust, and users of the technology can expect dependable performance.

If you don't like them, its totally ok to say you don't like them.
But if you don't like them, it not really legitimate to say the design is inferior.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by Farnsworth

All components will have some failure modes inherent to their design. Leaf spring and coil spring adbv components are no different.
I'm sure many here could list off several unique failure modes associated with coil springs, so I'll leave that exercise to the group.

The facts are, leaf spring design is widely adopted throughout the industry, it is proven to be robust, and users of the technology can expect dependable performance.

If you don't like them, its totally ok to say you don't like them.
But if you don't like them, it not really legitimate to say the design is inferior.

Never said it was inferior just what has happened and how they work. What I said was correct. The leaf in an oil filter is more of a retainer than a spring, with a small amount of travel. Not like a rear axle leaf spring. The coil has lots of travel. That's why the rattling filters have had leafs. The coil doesn't locate the end of the filter in the can as well, while the leaf does. You can add your opinion what I think but I never said one is inferior. I stick to the topic of how they work. You can do that also if you choose. What's not legitimate is to tell me what to say based on your interpretations of what I am thinking. It has nothing to do with liking one or not liking one kind of filter spring so I make up a story. That's actually ridiculous.

To clarify because of what was said it turns out I actually "like" leaf retainers better than coil springs because the hold the filter end in place sideways better. So good people want to know what I "like."
Facts are rattlers have been seen and they are Ultras I think entirely. Makes sense as the Ultra has a very heavy element and if dropped hard has much more hit on the leaf. I have no problem using one. But I will shake it and which is better a torn pleat or a loose element. I vote torn pleat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back