Fram Ultra, Napa Platinum, or Baldwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for the best oil filter for my 2014 Mustang. I change the oil once every year and use Mobil 1 5/20 synthetic in it. I can get the Fram and Baldwin here from one store, or the Napa at another. First off should Baldwin even be on this list? I know the other two are recommended on here. Of those two which would you say is better? I know there is K&N, Mobil 1, and Ams Oil filters too, but I feel those aren't any better then what I've already mentioned. So what say you?

It's hard to go wrong with the Fram Ultra, it's a top quality filter at an affordable price you can buy anywhere. To be honest, any of them will work fine, but the Fram is probably the cheapest of the 3.

I don't know about better, but I've used Fram Ultra for over a decade with OCIs between 13-17k miles and never had a filter failure - Can't ask more than that!

Originally Posted by Scott351W
Not really concerned about price, but which one filters better.

Fram Ultra has higher efficiency, although that probably doesn't tell the whole story.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster

Fram Ultra has higher efficiency, although that probably doesn't tell the whole story.

Higher efficiency? I read somewhere the Ultra is quoted at 20 microns, while the Platinum is 19.

you are obsessing about nothing. any of the three will filter and preserve the engine oil. thediffefences berween them will never make a difference in the longevity of the engine.

main thing is to keep the oil changed on schedule.

The Fram Ultra's filtering is tops of the list.
All are excellent to very good in all respects.
Pick one that makes you feel good.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
you are obsessing about nothing. any of the three will filter and preserve the engine oil. thediffefences berween them will never make a difference in the longevity of the engine.

main thing is to keep the oil changed on schedule.

+1

Baldwin is not in the league of Fram Ultra or Wix XP (Napa Platinum)

Does your Mustang have the IOLM? How many miles do you put on in a year?
smile.gif

Fram Ultra first, then Wix XP/Napa Platinum, then Baldwin

OP wants good efficiency, so the Wix XP/Napa Platinum isn't gonna rank well.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
OP wants good efficiency, so the Wix XP/Napa Platinum isn't gonna rank well.

Exactly. Wix XP / NAPA Platinum is only 50% @ 20 IIRC.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
It's hard to go wrong with the Fram Ultra, it's a top quality filter at an affordable price you can buy anywhere. To be honest, any of them will work fine, but the Fram is probably the cheapest of the 3.

+1. Go with the Ultra. Buy it from Rockauto (buying 3-5 to save to shipping). I buy 4-6 Ultra's for my two vehicles. I leave the Ultra on the Caravan for 2 Oci. On the Civic, I'll keep the filter on for 18-24 months. Make sure you use the 5% coupon code as well. The Ultra is around $10 CDN on Rockauto. At Canadian tire the Ultra is around $20 before taxes if not on sale.

I find with the Ultra the oil doesn't get totally black at the end of an OCI.

How many kms do you drive a year with the Mustang?

Last edited:
Only danger with the Ultra is thin cans-as long as you don't catch any road debris, or have severe road salt/rust issues, the Ultra has the highest efficiency of the three. Baldwin has a stronger can, though, and the Wix XP/NAPA Platinum is pretty stout too (lousy efficiency, though).

In the grand scheme of things, those three filters probably will have the similar performance to filter the oil.

One thing you need to understand with engineering is that they work with tolerances not absolutes.
So, batch to batch even with the same filter mfg and model, there are variances within a certain tolerance.

There is no best but there are sufficient.
They are all will last within your spec of OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back